I can't stop craving cigarettes and I am about to give in

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 04:32 pm
I quit smoking in early january and it has been just over two months now. I've been going through a stressful time this past week but I have resisted picking up a cigarette.. but I am starting to feel that the only thing that may make me feel better is a cigarette..

I thought habits ended in 28 days... I am just about to give in. I tried hard candy, gum... it's not working

Should I just give in and have one, or will that lead to more???? Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,056 • Replies: 90
No top replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 04:39 pm
DON'T give in. One will lead to more. Trust me. I know.

Cigarettes are not a habit. They're an addiction. The desire will always be there.

I wish I could tell you what to do right now this minute to get you past it. I honestly don't know of anything. But think about this. One will lead to more. You will eventually have to stop smoking again. Which is harder? Getting past this bad moment or going through that again?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 04:43 pm
NO NONONONONONONONONONONoo

You smell better.

Your food tastes better.

Your lungs are pinker!!

You are adding years to your life by not smoking!!

I'm proud of you!! You don't need one!!!

<fingers crossed>
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 04:46 pm
I am trying to think like that, I know it is not good for me, but I am truely starting to think that I need them.

Is it possible to be so stressed that you just add more stress with stuff like this?

I know if I do smoke one, I will hate it but I won't stop

Err.. this is so frusterating, it is such an easy choice, but such a hard one Mad
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 04:48 pm
CL--

You're tempted, but you're in charge.

Hold your dominion.

Think about your next baby.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 04:50 pm
The anti-stress part is so cruel.

The reaction you get does give a momentary relief--but it's really doing long-term damage.

Of course, you know that.

I want one, too, but I keep thinking about my beautiful lungs--and then I think of how nasty smokers smell. I had no idea I smelled like that when I smoked.

But, good luck, dear.

Brisk walking would be a great way to de-stress (and healthy...) Very Happy
0 Replies

Region Philbis

i've never been a smoker, but if i REALLY wanted to quit... i would fight the cravings.

fight it, CL, fight it!
don't let the evil tobacco companies win!

they want you to get lung cancer and other diseases.

you can do it, i know you can...
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Noddy24 wrote:
CL--

You're tempted, but you're in charge.

Hold your dominion.

Think about your next baby.

That is what I have been thinking about, but now I am in the mind frame where I am saying I will just quit when the time comes...

But I will not give in just yet... I't been a week and I haven't.... Confused Confused
0 Replies

caribou

Remember how proud you are that you quit, how strong and healthy you feel because you did all that work and you haven't smoked. And you aren't going to smoke again, because that would make all you accomplished, null and void.
You are styronger than your addiction.
You do not need it, it needs you.
Don't.

Go do something, anything. Walk.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 04:52 pm
You are powerful!

You are beautiful!

You are in control!
0 Replies

ehBeth

It's a tough addiction to get over.

Set's battling with it - nearly a year after he switched to nicotine gum. Of course, he didn't quit willingly, but he didn't want to move into the shed with the raccoons - and I wouldn't even let him walk the dogs if he was smoking. He says it's the hardest addiction he's had to get past. He notices that smokers stink now - but he still dreams about it.

I quit big about 20 years ago. Had a little relapse about 5 years ago - but only for a coupla months - and I didn't allow myself to smoke indoors then - so no smoking in bars, in the house, in the car - making it difficult to smoke made it easier to quit again.

Knitting always helped - can't smoke and knit - can't eat and knit. I always had to keep my hands busy.
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Thanks guys, I needed that support...

Besides I may be getting an apartment this month and I want it to smell nice..

I will go for a walk though, that sounds relaxing..

Smile
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 04:55 pm
Crazielady420 wrote:
I am trying to think like that, I know it is not good for me, but I am truely starting to think that I need them.

Is it possible to be so stressed that you just add more stress with stuff like this?

I know if I do smoke one, I will hate it but I won't stop

Err.. this is so frusterating, it is such an easy choice, but such a hard one Mad

It's a painful choice, and thinking about your health isn't really gonna help. At least it didn't for me. I KNOW EXACTLY HOW YOU'RE FEELING! I'm reaching through this screen and hanging onto your hand. DON'T let it get you again. Please!

You're not feeling rational right now. Don't expect to feel rational. This is an addiction that will not let go. Feel proud of how far you've come. You didn't smoke for a long time. So you know you can do it. Hang on.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 04:57 pm
Good. Go for a walk and relax.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 04:59 pm
<cheers crazylady's supremely cool victory>
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 05:01 pm
Cravings only last for a few moments at a time. When one hits, occupy yourself in some way, housework, yardwork, dancing, something physical, until it passes. There will be another but what you seem to be doing at this point is focusing on how badly you want a cigarette and looking for excuses to have one. Don't.

Know that you will always want a cigarette. But eventually, the cravings become fleeting and totally manageable. I quit smoking over five years ago and I still want one but you couldn't put a gun to my head and make me smoke. I just want one. That's all.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 06:52 pm
Issy, an addiction is an addiction is an addiction.

If quitting was hard then you're addicted to nicotine. Simple as that. One cigarette and it will be like am alcoholic taking one drink.

You have the power to choose. If you're addicted, one will lead to a path to becoming a regular smoker again. Is that what you want?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 06:57 pm
Crazielady420 wrote:
Besides I may be getting an apartment this month and I want it to smell nice..

Whoa, wait a minute --- I just caught the significance of this. Tell us about it, CL.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 07:03 pm
Eoe's information that cravings have a limited time span is useful, and her advice is useful too, to "walk away" from it and do something else physical.

I used to smoke a lot, for a long time, was absolutely well-addicted. I haven't wanted to smoke now for many years - at least for me, the urge DID go away, gradually diminishing in the years after I quit, 25 years ago.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 07:42 pm
CL--

Think of the money you'll have for the new apartment. Smoking is expensive.
0 Replies