Bush Supporters' Aftermath Thread IV

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 10:32 am
McT, It seems most people are clueless about his easy smile, pats on the back, and what he's capable of that goes way beyond evil. He sings the praises that each life is precious, but he doesn't seem too concerned about our soldiers or the innocent Iraqis getting killed and maimed by the hundreds every week. Most people see that as "hypocrisy," but Bush supporters know/sees different.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 01:59 am
All the right-wingers seem to have melted away, which is a shame really.
You'd have thought after all that posturing and tub-thumping which has been going on here for years, they might at least have said goodbye, and maybe "You were right, we were wrong, GWB may be associated with the Republican movement, which we support, but he and his policies have proved an unmitigated disaster for our country and for the world."

Would a little acknowledgement hurt?

I saw a v good Storyville TV documentary this week which quoted Pres Eisenhower, using his valedictory address as a starting point, the one in which he warned against the growing power of the military/industrial complex in his country. How prophetic that was.

In that programme, it was said,

"There was and is no exit strategy for Iraq, because we never intended to leave. We are building 14 permanent military bases there"
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 05:48 am
Hey, don't ya know, McTag, the Bush supporters have not deserted him they just got tired of defending him against so many unfair and baseless accusations. Never has there been a president so maligned without just cause.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 05:51 am
revel wrote:
Hey, don't ya know, McTag, the Bush supporters have not deserted him they just got tired of defending him against so many unfair and baseless accusations. Never has there been a president so maligned without just cause.

You're kidding right?

Were you alive from 1997-2000?
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 05:56 am
maporsche wrote:
revel wrote:

You're kidding right?

Were you alive from 1997-2000?

Of course I'm kidding. Smile
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 12:07 pm
And there's McT to stir the ****. He can always be counted on ... for that anyway.

Carry on.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 12:09 pm
If anyone bothers to look at the current and past occupants of the white house, there's plenty of shite to go around - both democrats and republicans.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 03:19 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
And there's McT to stir the ****. He can always be counted on ... for that anyway.

What a peculiarly infelicitous and inappropriate metaphor.

But if what I stir (=comment upon) is as you say, whose fault is that?
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 03:57 pm
McTag wrote:
You'd have thought after all that posturing and tub-thumping which has been going on here for years, they might at least have said goodbye, and maybe "You were right, we were wrong, GWB may be associated with the Republican movement, which we support, but he and his policies have proved an unmitigated disaster for our country and for the world."

I think you are beating a dead horse McTag. From the start this thread has been dominated (oddly) by the anti Bush crowd whose rhetoric has been just as, or more, strident, close-minded and intemperate than that of which you accuse the Bush minority here. I wonder, where would you all be without your hate figures?

Certainly the Bush policy and its execution has its evident defects and failures. However, the central thread of the criticism has been flawed in offering no alternative resolution of the all-too-obvious underlying issues before us. The great danger, in my view, is that we may learn the wrong lessons from the turn of events. Many who criticize and claim the pretence of righteousness have nothing to offer but criticism and a certain point of view. In a world of limited choices, theirs is very often the lesser alternative. I believe that is the case here.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 04:59 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
McTag wrote:

I think you are beating a dead horse McTag. From the start this thread has been dominated (oddly) by the anti Bush crowd whose rhetoric has been just as, or more, strident, close-minded and intemperate than that of which you accuse the Bush minority here. I wonder, where would you all be without your hate figures?

Certainly the Bush policy and its execution has its evident defects and failures. However, the central thread of the criticism has been flawed in offering no alternative resolution of the all-too-obvious underlying issues before us. The great danger, in my view, is that we may learn the wrong lessons from the turn of events. Many who criticize and claim the pretence of righteousness have nothing to offer but criticism and a certain point of view. In a world of limited choices, theirs is very often the lesser alternative. I believe that is the case here.

So the problem is that we lefities don't offer an alternative to the Bush failed administration. OK. I say we take the opposite approach like on Seinfeld.

Quote:
George : Why did it all turn out like this for me? I had so much promise. I was personable, I was bright. Oh, maybe not academically speaking, but ... I was perceptive. I always know when someone's uncomfortable at a party. It became very clear to me sitting out there today, that every decision I've ever made, in my entire life, has been wrong. My life is the opposite of everything I want it to be. Every instinct I have, in every of life, be it something to wear, something to eat ... It's all been wrong.

http://www.seinfeldscripts.com/TheOpposite.htm
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 05:53 pm
revel said...

Quote:
So the problem is that we lefities don't offer an alternative to the Bush failed administration. OK. I say we take the opposite approach like on Seinfeld.

So,that means raising taxes,not responding to attacks on the US or on American citizens,closing the border and enforcing ALL of the current immigration laws,allowing North Korea and Iran to develop working nukes,etc.

Is there anything I am forgetting?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 09:20 pm
Your brains?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 09:40 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Your brains?

Are you sure you're an adult?
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 09:46 pm
mysteryman wrote:
revel said...

Quote:

So,that means raising taxes,not responding to attacks on the US or on American citizens,closing the border and enforcing ALL of the current immigration laws,allowing North Korea and Iran to develop working nukes,etc.

Is there anything I am forgetting?

North Korea and Iran are developing uranium regardless of all the tough talk and needlessly invading Iraq. We can't control the world which is why we should do the opposite of the Bush administration and re-learn the art of diplomacy and rational thinking. I am not advocating that war is not an option, just not the first, last and only option.

We should rescind the tax breaks which only benefit the very rich.

We should do the opposite in responding to attacks on American soil by keep going after those who actually attacked us rather than old enemies.

Bush is for giving illegal immigrants citizenship.

(I have no opinion on the immigration issue but sort of lean towards thinking laws are there to be kept. But I don't agree with all the nasty rhetoric towards immigrants which has been spewed forth by those on far right of this issue.)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 09:49 pm
Ticomaya: Are you sure you're an adult?

No, I'm in my second childhood. What's your excuse?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 09:50 pm
revel wrote:
(I have no opinion on the immigration issue but sort of lean towards thinking laws are there to be kept. But I don't agree with all the nasty rhetoric towards immigrants which has been spewed forth by those on far right of this issue.)

What are your thoughts about the nasty rhetoric towards immigrants that has been spewed by those on the far left on this issue?
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 10:36 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
revel wrote:

What are your thoughts about the nasty rhetoric towards immigrants that has been spewed by those on the far left on this issue?

Please cite/quote a source......
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 10:45 pm
maporsche wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
revel wrote:

Please cite/quote a source......

For what?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 11:57 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
revel wrote:

Just about everyone in America is an immigrant.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 12:06 am
georgeob1 wrote:
McTag wrote:

George, I wish you could have seen the TV documentary I saw this week

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/documentaries/storyville/why-we-fight.shtml

and we wouldn't be talking like this.

I will return to this later, got to go now, bye.
0 Replies