Bush Supporters' Aftermath Thread IV

georgeob1

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2007 02:08 pm
Foxy,

You are notable for your unflappable reasonableness, patience and perseverance, often in the face of intemperate shouting and name-calling. (I had you in mind when I drew the distinction above between left and right wing commentators here.) I meant no criticism of the notion of exclusivity in these threads, just that I don't care much about it. I also acknowledge that your comment on the matter was reasonably put, restrained and without the vitriol that we too often see here.

I have also come to the conclusion that McTag sometimes likes to poke his finger in our eyes just for the fun of it. (I'm occasionally not above that myself.) I'm not sure yet whether (or to what degree) the dogmatic & shrill overtones that so often accompany it are put on or are instead a reflection of a certain Calvanistic intolerance on his part. (That ought to do it -- Twisted Evil )
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2007 02:11 pm
f anything, but McTag and Cavinism ... Shocked

At least not in the more than five years I know him .... and before? Nothiong like that, according to his friends who know him since ages Laughing
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2007 02:16 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
f anything, but McTag and Cavinism ... Shocked

At least not in the more than five years I know him .... and before? Nothiong like that, according to his friends who know him since ages Laughing

I wasn't referring so much to historical Calvinism, but rather to its contemporary equivalent in doctrinaire secular & politically "correct" thought.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2007 02:19 pm
The fact that Blatham came onto this thread for no other purpose but to personally excoriate the Conservatives here and used quite uncomplimentary language to do it, and the fact that McTag is on the record as agreeing with everything Blatham said about that, is enough evidence to me to know that McTag comes here for no other purpose than eye poking.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2007 02:24 pm
Do you really mean, "... for no other purpose..."? I'll argue that some of it is undoubtedly sincere and thoughtful. But we agree that he is clearly an episodic eye-poker.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2007 02:47 pm
Quote:
In this world of sin and sorrow there is always something to be thankful for; as for me, I rejoice that I am not a Republican.

H. L. Mencken
or a Democrat
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2007 02:51 pm
Now here is a real, dedicated, for-no-other-purpose-than, full-time eye poker !!!

Laughing Razz
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2007 02:54 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
Now here is a real, dedicated, for-no-other-purpose-than, full-time eye poker !!!

Laughing Razz

Yeppers, very true.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2007 02:58 pm
I'm just aggrieved that the so-called "leader of the free world" is an oik like GWB, and I'm not even an American.

If I were, then I WOULD tend to get shrill and maybe even intemperate from time to time.

And that refers to the time BEFORE the war crimes.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2007 03:40 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
I agree with McTag that there's no joy in preaching to (or attempting to enlighten) the choir.

I'm also no believer in the exclusivity of any threads here. Challenging ideas and excanging conflicting views & interpretations is what it is all about. Hiowever, I do recall the general outrage on an old thread for Kerry supporters after the last U.S. Presidential election. The few conservative interlopers were widely condemned by the outraged, liberals on the thread who were engaged in mourning their bad outcome and rehashing various conspiracy theories about the forces of Republican darkness. I don't recall if any of the present commentators were among those so outraged, buit I have noted a somewhat greater degree of tolerance for opposing views among conservatives than among their left-wing counterparts. There are, of course, buffoons and mere name-callers on both sides, but, on average, I find conservatives here to be a bit more reasonable and willing to consider the contradictions that inevitably infect all doctrinal views on the matters we discuss so avidly.

I remember the same thread, it serves as an excellent example of how fast a thread will die out when only one side basically responds in it. It got really boring really quick.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2007 03:54 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
The fact that Blatham came onto this thread for no other purpose but to personally excoriate the Conservatives here and used quite uncomplimentary language to do it, and the fact that McTag is on the record as agreeing with everything Blatham said about that, is enough evidence to me to know that McTag comes here for no other purpose than eye poking.

I never found anything of his I could really disagree with, though God knows I tried. Basically very ideologically and even grammatically sound.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2007 04:17 pm
McTag wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
Bookmarked (while wondering while this thread gets restarted so often when older, longer ones don't.)

Also wondering why the anti-Bush people are so bored and inacpable of starting interesting threads of their own so they wouldn't spend so much time spreading trash in this one.

I'm wondering the same, Foxy.

It is necessary to seek the dragons where they may be found, in their very lair, so that they may be slain.

And, it's no fun exposing GWB on a reasonable persons' thread. :wink:

You fancy yourself a dragon-slayer, do you, McT?

I suppose I'll take that as a compliment.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2007 04:20 pm
Dragons and very bad pussycats, I should have said.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2007 06:14 pm
Ticomaya wrote:

You fancy yourself a dragon-slayer, do you, McT?

I suppose I'll take that as a compliment.

That would really be much too much of a stretch, Tico.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2007 06:23 pm
Let's get this thread off to a rousing start. More of the aftermath of the "genius" in chief.

Quote:

Reid: Iraq war 'worst foreign policy mistake' in U.S. history

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- After months of heated rhetoric slamming President Bush's Iraq policy, the Senate's top Democrat moved into new terrain by declaring the Iraq war a worse blunder than Vietnam.

"This war is a serious situation. It involves the worst foreign policy mistake in the history of this country," Sen. Harry Reid, D-Nevada, told CNN's "Late Edition with Wolf Blitzer."

"So we should take everything seriously. We find ourselves in a very deep hole and we need to find a way to dig out of it."

Asked whether he considers it a worse blunder than Vietnam, Reid responded, "Yes."

Comparisons to Vietnam are nothing new, but a "worse than" designation from a top lawmaker is.

Sen. Chuck Hagel, a Nebraska Republican who has been one of the war's most outspoken critics, told Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice in January that President Bush's plan to send 21,500 more troops to Iraq "represents the most dangerous foreign policy blunder in this country since Vietnam."

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/02/18/reid.iraq/index.html

0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2007 07:17 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
Do you really mean, "... for no other purpose..."? I'll argue that some of it is undoubtedly sincere and thoughtful. But we agree that he is clearly an episodic eye-poker.

Sincere on this thread? I'll give you that one. Thoughtful (on other threads) I'll also give you. Thoughtful on this one, no. I could have forgotten something back through the many hundreds of pages, but generally I see McTag's posts here are as blanket and uncompromising as the trolls, i.e. "I hate Bush" "Bush is a war criminal" "Bush is stupid", etc. etc. etc. And when Blatham accused Tico, me, and some others of being war criminals, immoral, supporters of torture, insipid, ignorant, cliched, dangerous, and some other choice adjectives, McTag backed him up. I gave McTag an opportunity to retract that part and he wouldn't.

So, I can only conclude that eye-poking is his purpose of haunting this thread on a regular basis. That was certainly Blatham's only purpose in being here, but he eventually did have the decency to withdraw.

The trolls and spammers are just annoying as they interrupt the flow, but I scroll past and pretend they aren't here. It's harder to avoid the one line mean spirited insult, but I've tried to ignore them too and just attribute them to bad mannered, boorish, hateful behavior common in at least one faction of the extreme Left. If I didn't remain a Conservative for any other reason, that alone would convince me that Conservatism is the preferred ideology. (Okay that was a dig, but it was also sincere. Smile)

In any case, thank you for your kind words. I didn't mean to give the impression that I was criticizing your views on exclusive threads as I agreed with your take on that. I am just appealing for courtesy and the ability to be inclusive and tolerant of everybody here. Even Conservatives.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2007 10:42 pm
And I agree that if everybody is saying the same thing and putting forth agreement on the same point of view, it is quickly all said. That is why I enormously enjoy discussion on different points of view with people who have the capacity to not feel threatened if their point of view is challenged in any way and/or are not compelled to feel and express contempt for people who see things differently. None of us Conservatives agree on every point, or at least we haven't yet. And there are a few folks who tilt left of center who are also capable of discussing different points of view and they are indeed precious. I wish we could attract more of those instead of so many trolls, spammers, idiots, and exercises in futility who log into this thread purely for the purpose of trashing somebody or posting graffiti.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 01:03 am
Quote:
"A man with a conviction is a hard man to change," wrote Festinger in his book on the cult, When Prophecy Fails. "Tell him you disagree and he turns away. Show him facts and figures and he questions your sources. Appeal to logic and he fails to see your point."

George Bush is a man of conviction and clearly a hard man to change. When reality confronts his plans he does not alter them but instead alters his understanding of reality. Like Keech and her crew, he stands with a tight band of followers, both deluded and determined, understanding each setback not as a sign to change course but as further proof that they must redouble their efforts to the original goal.[/QUOTE

From a comment in today's The Guardian: [URL=http://www.guardian.co.uk/Columnists/Column/0,,2016219,00.html]Once George Bush has got hold of a bad idea he just can't let it go[/URL]
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 03:00 am
Foxfyre wrote:
georgeob1 wrote:

Sincere on this thread? I'll give you that one. Thoughtful (on other threads) I'll also give you. Thoughtful on this one, no. I could have forgotten something back through the many hundreds of pages, but generally I see McTag's posts here are as blanket and uncompromising as the trolls, i.e. "I hate Bush" "Bush is a war criminal" "Bush is stupid", etc. etc. etc. And when Blatham accused Tico, me, and some others of being war criminals, immoral, supporters of torture, insipid, ignorant, cliched, dangerous, and some other choice adjectives, McTag backed him up. I gave McTag an opportunity to retract that part and he wouldn't.

So, I can only conclude that eye-poking is his purpose of haunting this thread on a regular basis. That was certainly Blatham's only purpose in being here, but he eventually did have the decency to withdraw.

Blatham's withdrawal from these threads was nothing to do with decency, athough he has that quality in abundance. He gave his reason most eloquently.
He contributed here out of a spirit of philanthropy and to shed light in the darkness.
He left because of the stony ground, and stony hearts here.

George Bush has stated what his "constituency" is, although he did it in jest. He is no more an "American" president than I am, and his followers imo do their country a deep disservice.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 06:55 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Quote:
"A man with a conviction is a hard man to change," wrote Festinger in his book on the cult, When Prophecy Fails. "Tell him you disagree and he turns away. Show him facts and figures and he questions your sources. Appeal to logic and he fails to see your point."

George Bush is a man of conviction and clearly a hard man to change. When reality confronts his plans he does not alter them but instead alters his understanding of reality. Like Keech and her crew, he stands with a tight band of followers, both deluded and determined, understanding each setback not as a sign to change course but as further proof that they must redouble their efforts to the original goal.[/QUOTE

From a comment in today's The Guardian: [URL=http://www.guardian.co.uk/Columnists/Column/0,,2016219,00.html]Once George Bush has got hold of a bad idea he just can't let it go[/URL]

Thanks for the article, in my opinion it sums up George Bush and his followers to a tee.
0 Replies