Bush Supporters' Aftermath Thread IV

mysteryman

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 09:17 am
I notice none of the Bush bashers have yet answered my question,so I will ask it again...

IF the war in Iraq is an "illegal war",like the left likes to claim,what court has ruled such?
What court,with authority to rule on US actions,has ruled that the war in Iraq is illegal?

And,can any of you provide a linkto that ruling?
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 09:34 am
I don't know if the invasion of Iraq was illegal, but it was not necessary and all it did was make everything worse.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 09:38 am
mysteryman wrote:
I notice none of the Bush bashers have yet answered my question,so I will ask it again...

IF the war in Iraq is an "illegal war",like the left likes to claim,what court has ruled such?
What court,with authority to rule on US actions,has ruled that the war in Iraq is illegal?

You're not going to get and answer MM because it's a stupid question.
To put it another way, what German court ever ruled that Hitler's invasion of Poland was illegal?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 09:40 am
mysteryman wrote:

Let me answer your question with another question in response: is every action a nation takes completely legal until a court rules otherwise? For example, was the Iran-Iraq war legal? Was the North Korean attack on South Korea legal, because no court ruled otherwise? Was the Bosnian genocide legal? Did Russia have the right to invade Afghanistan?

Or does a violation of an international treaty to which the nation is party not matter because no court rules on it? Does Iran have the right to produce nuclear weapons in violation of UN resolutions? Does Syria have the right to invade Israel?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 09:43 am
Of course those who hate George Bush see him as subject to bad ideas and an unwillingness to change. Those of us who do not hate him see him as a human being with strengths and weaknesses; one who thinks and speaks correctly on various issues and one who also makes mistakes on various issues.

President Bush has been 100% correct on taxes and other aspects of the economy; on free trade except for his ill advised steel tariff; faith based social initiatives, No Child Left Behind, and some other issues/programs. In my opinion he was wrong on the federal Medicare prescription program and wrong on immigration. (Most other A2K conservatives seem to agree with him on immigration, however.)

I do not fault him for his reasons for the war in Iraq. He and his military advisors made a serious mistake in bending to political correctness pressures from the Left. They should have gone in with overwhelming force and completed the job quickly and efficiently. They didn't, but it was their methodology, not their motives that are questionable.

His positions on right to life, stem cell research, and other sticky social issues can be criticized by those who think differently, but he has never misrepresented his stance on those things. We knew what we were getting when we elected him.

Those on the Left want to portray him as stubborn and unwilling to admit or correct a mistake. But then they worship people who read tea leaves and polls to decide what their opinion will be on any given day so it is understandable that they don't recognize a man of conviction and principle when they see one. (Note to George: admitting another 'dig' here.)

President Bush is a man of principle and conviction and, unlike the average run of the mill politicians, he is not as subject to being swayed by political expediency or the public opinion pushed in the headlines that morning. People who appreciate honesty in their elected officials admire that.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 09:51 am
old europe wrote:
mysteryman wrote:

Let me answer your question with another question in response: is every action a nation takes completely legal until a court rules otherwise? For example, was the Iran-Iraq war legal? Was the North Korean attack on South Korea legal, because no court ruled otherwise? Was the Bosnian genocide legal? Did Russia have the right to invade Afghanistan?

Or does a violation of an international treaty to which the nation is party not matter because no court rules on it? Does Iran have the right to produce nuclear weapons in violation of UN resolutions? Does Syria have the right to invade Israel?

Please cite the UN resolution forbidding or condemning the US invasion of Iraq. We can cite--what was it fourteen?--UN resolutions making requirements of which Iraq refused to comply.

Would you have approved another 12 years of sanctions condemning another 50,000 Iraqis, including a majority of children, to death via starvation and neglect? It was perfectly legal to do that. Was it the right thing to do while Saddam, the UN officials and their buddies enriched themselves on the Oil for Food bllions?

And no, we didn't invade Iraq for those reasons. Our reasons were included in those 14 resolutions and that was also our authority to act. And it was those 14 resolutions that prevented the UN from saying no, we couldn't do that.

But once we were in there and saw the viscious cruelty of Saddam's regime and the devastation the sanctions had brought onto the people, right or wrong, that's why we have stayed. That and the very real possibility of the influence of a democratic government in the Middle East. The Iraqi people deserved better and if you Lefties will just get behind the effort and help, they'll have better from now on. Force us to pull out, and they'll be worse off than before.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 09:57 am
dyslexia wrote:
mysteryman wrote:

You're not going to get and answer MM because it's a stupid question.
To put it another way, what German court ever ruled that Hitler's invasion of Poland was illegal?

Then what FOREIGN court has ruled the war illegal?
Has the world court that the left supports?
Have there been ANY UN resolutions calling the war illegal?

The answer to those questions is ???????
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 10:00 am
I admire the fact that you managed to put these two paragraphs in one and the same post:

Foxfyre wrote:
I do not fault him for his reasons for the war in Iraq. He and his military advisors made a serious mistake in bending to political correctness pressures from the Left. They should have gone in with overwhelming force and completed the job quickly and efficiently. They didn't, but it was their methodology, not their motives that are questionable.

Foxfyre wrote:
President Bush is a man of principle and conviction and, unlike the average run of the mill politicians, he is not as subject to being swayed by political expediency or the public opinion pushed in the headlines that morning. People who appreciate honesty in their elected officials admire that.

And the point is that you cannot even see the contradiction in what you're saying. You're the anthropomorphic personification of a neoconservative voter.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 10:09 am
US sponsored War Crimes: The Atrocity Exhibition
A Review of the Kuala Lumpur War Crimes Exhibit link graphic
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 10:13 am
mysteryman wrote:
Then what FOREIGN court has ruled the war illegal?

Not that a court that I know of.

mysteryman wrote:
Has the world court that the left supports?

There is no "world court". If you are referring to a different institution, please be specific.

mysteryman wrote:
Have there been ANY UN resolutions calling the war illegal?

Have there been ANY UN resolutions calling the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan illegal? There haven't. Partly because the Soviet Union had, much like the United States, veto power in the UN and obviously wouldn't support a resolution condemning a war it had started.

Does that make the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan legal?

mysteryman wrote:
The answer to those questions is ???????

The answer to those question is: apparently, no widely known court decision has called the American invasion of Iraq illegal. Apparently, in international law, it happens very rarely that a formal court decision calls an illegal action by a very powerful country like the former Soviet Union or the United States illegal. Apparently, in international law, might makes right. Apparently, the United States want to keep things that way. Apparently, this doesn't change the fact that the United States have violated international agreements they have signed.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 10:16 am
old europe wrote:
I admire the fact that you managed to put these two paragraphs in one and the same post:

Foxfyre wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:

And the point is that you cannot even see the contradiction in what you're saying. You're the anthropomorphic personification of a neoconservative voter.

Baloney. There is absolutely no contradiction of any kind in the two statements.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 10:17 am
You're very .... well, I was tempted to answer MM's "questions" with Helau and Alaaf, old europe :wink:
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 12:05 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Please cite the UN resolution forbidding or condemning the US invasion of Iraq. We can cite--what was it fourteen?--UN resolutions making requirements of which Iraq refused to comply.

And there was not a single UN resolution forbidding or condemning the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan - so if a resolution by the UN Security Council - where both the US and the Soviet Union/Russia have veto power - is your only yardstick, then either both the Soviet and the American invasion were legal, or they both were illegal.

Foxfyre wrote:
And no, we didn't invade Iraq for those reasons. Our reasons were included in those 14 resolutions and that was also our authority to act. And it was those 14 resolutions that prevented the UN from saying no, we couldn't do that.

And still, America had no UN mandate to go into Iraq. If you are reasoning that because of the UN resolutions against Iraq, America was somehow justified to unilaterally invade Iraq, then it would be just as reasonable to assume that Russia would be equally allowed to invade Israel because of the UN resolutions condemning Israel for its actions.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 12:09 pm
old europe wrote:
[And still, America had no UN mandate to go into Iraq. If you are reasoning that because of the UN resolutions against Iraq, America was somehow justified to unilaterally invade Iraq, then it would be just as reasonable to assume that Russia would be equally allowed to invade Israel because of the UN resolutions condemning Israel for its actions.

That's some retarded reasoning there.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 12:09 pm
old europe wrote:
And still, America had no UN mandate to go into Iraq. If you are reasoning that because of the UN resolutions against Iraq, America was somehow justified to unilaterally invade Iraq, then it would be just as reasonable to assume that Russia would be equally allowed to invade Israel because of the UN resolutions condemning Israel for its actions.

For almost the entirety of human history, wars have been fought merely because one side wanted something the other side had. This war was motivated by self-defense, that is, not allowing an evil, imperialistic madman to develop WMD, which there seemed a significant probability that he was still working on. Any country which gives the international community veto power on its use of its military is foolish in the extreme.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 12:11 pm
McGentrix wrote:
old europe wrote:
[And still, America had no UN mandate to go into Iraq. If you are reasoning that because of the UN resolutions against Iraq, America was somehow justified to unilaterally invade Iraq, then it would be just as reasonable to assume that Russia would be equally allowed to invade Israel because of the UN resolutions condemning Israel for its actions.

Why exactly, McGentrix?
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 12:13 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
old europe wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:

Baloney. There is absolutely no contradiction of any kind in the two statements.

I'll try to show you the contradiction, foxfyre.

In the second paragraph you said that Bush does not bow to pressure or "not as subject to being swayed by political expediency."

In the first paragraph you said," He and his military advisors made a serious mistake in bending to political correctness pressures from the Left."

You can't have it both ways, either he is "not subject to being swayed by political expediency" therefore the decision to not go in full force is all his own and not the left. Or he does bow to political expediency and the reason he didn't go in full force was because of the political "pressure of the left."

In any case, you are wrong on all counts, Rumfeld wanted to go in with his vision of a lean mean military and also Bush and his advisors ignored US intelligence warning about how hard the fall out from the ousting of Saddam Hussein would be. (Numerous links have been left to that effect)
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 12:15 pm
old europe wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
old europe wrote:

Why exactly, McGentrix?

yes, I also am wondering, what exactly, McGentrix?
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 12:17 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
old europe wrote:

For almost the entirety of human history, wars have been fought merely because one side wanted something the other side had. This war was motivated by self-defense, that is, not allowing an evil, imperialistic madman to develop WMD, which there seemed a significant probability that he was still working on. Any country which gives the international community veto power on its use of its military is foolish in the extreme.

Now this is baloney as has been argued to death already.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 12:19 pm
old europe wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
old europe wrote:

Why exactly, McGentrix?

Why? Because the 2 have nothing to do with one another. Simply having UN resolutions against one thing or another does not allow an invasion. Rather it's the substance of the resolutions and what led to them. Your stupid comparison doesn't take into account the first gulf war and what took place after it regarding various warnings and resolutions.

Your comparison has no reasoning behind it and is nothing but a retarded effort to make a point.
0 Replies