Bush Supporters' Aftermath Thread IV

old europe

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 08:26 pm
okie wrote:
So we haven't done anything to help anybody up until now? Also, being we should care about life of other people, is abortion a problem that needs to be addressed now that health is being recognized as an issue now for the first time, apparently with this report? How many million have died so far? And is health now only the U.S. responsibility? Also, does it matter whether individuals take care of themselves or whether other countries have any responsibility for their own citizens?

Just a few questions that come to mind.

Stupid old me, I thought wrongly that we have been trying to help people be healthy around the world for decades. I thought that was what the Peace Corp did. I thought I had a cousin that died in Aftrica 30 years ago trying to help some people. Dang, I guess I was wrong all this time.

And you're saying this is a bad thing...?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 08:35 pm
The document is not realistic; it's pie in the sky without much hope to accomplish it in many decades if not centuries. Those issues rightfully belong in the international arena like the UN. The US represents about five percent of the world population, and our country alone is not in any poisition to announce what should be done about "world health," when we don't even have universal health care in our own country. It's putting the cart before the horse. We are not rich enough or have the means to take care of the world's health issues. We can't even take care of our own.

There are many organizations like Doctors Without Borders who volunteer their time to help where they can for medical care around the world. Habitat for Humanities help build homes all over this world. That's realistic.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 08:38 pm
Interesting to see you and okie on the same side, c.i.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 08:40 pm
Pa-leeze! You want me to have nightmares tonite?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 08:42 pm
<grins>

Well, I suppose you're criticising it from opposing, uhm, corners, but for the same reasons....

So you're essentially on the same side!
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 09:45 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Pa-leeze! You want me to have nightmares tonite?

Imposter, I thought you were kidding at first. I could not believe what I was reading, but yes, apparently we do agree at least in part. Don't worry, the nightmares will be very mild.

On the serious side again, my initial take on this report was as if we should finally do something, as if we haven't been for decades. I took it as a bit of an insult, and yes, I did have a cousin die in Africa. She was some kind of missionary, and she also did nursing work, I think over 30 years ago she died there, from malaria I think. I friend of mine was in the Peace Corp and he worked in South American countries showing them how to install and operate sanitary water systems, and that was around 40 years ago. My doctor has been volunteering some time each year in other countries for years. America has been one of the most benevolent, if not THE most benevolent country in this regard for a very long time.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 10:16 pm
My brother, an ophthalmologist have volunteered in Mexico for several years, and my nephew, a dentist, did missionary work in India for one year. I'm sure many family members have done the same. I have donated to schools in third world countries, and will continue to do so during my travels. I also contribute every year to Habitat for Humanities and Second Harvest Food Bank.

I believe everything has its place, and for those of us who are capable to help those less fortunate than ourselves, I think that's the human thing to do. I like Habitat and Second Harvest, because they don't discriminate in their giving by culture or religion.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 01:29 pm
On the theory that this thread has effectively run its course, I propose all the GOPers, Conservatives, moderates, fence sitters, and those who find Conservative topics interesting, resume the discussion HERE
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 08:01 pm
Bush aftermath. Yes. This is it.
Ticomaya

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 08:22 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
Bush aftermath. Yes. This is it.

Something to say, Bernie?
blatham

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 08:39 pm
@Ticomaya,
Yes, tico. But you have the tense wrong. It was said, on this thread and its earlier iterations. The rust and dust covered Greyhound has now come to a groaning stop and you folks are looking out the dirty windows wondering how you managed to wind up in the lonely middle of nowhere, the deserted Wasilla bus depot.
Ticomaya

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 10:07 pm
@blatham,
And let me guess: The sleek, polished black Lamborghini is revving it's engine and getting ready to take off and set a new land speed record?

Give me a fukking break.
McTag

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 03:33 am
@Ticomaya,

This man said it well.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2008/nov/02/george-bush-legacy-usa

No, I can't get over it, and neither can my friends, hard as we all try. When we meet for dinner we do our best to take up other subjects - books, gossip, movies, our children - but then, like the addicts we've become, we sneak back to the drug of outrage, shooting up the latest barefaced lie and squalid revelation, not forgetting to list yet again the national and global catastrophes brought about by the incompetence, hypocrisy, muddleheadedness, venality, truculence, mendacity, callousness, zealotry, machismo, lawlessness, cynicism, wishful thinking, and occasional downright evil of the administration of George W Bush. Our economy is in freefall, our public school system a disgrace, our military exhausted, the wounded and traumatised dying of neglect, yea, the very earth groaning for relief - and he's optimistic! Yessiree! Looking forward to it! Leaning toward us over the podium with that exasperated little squint and that impatient, dentist-drill voice.......
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 07:09 am
@Ticomaya,
Quote:
Give me a fukking break.

Sheesh, talk about touchy.

You (and the modern conservative movement) do indeed now have your "fukking break". But you've worked hard for it and deserve every coming year of relaxation. A holiday from the confounding demands of influence is finally yours. That's in the bag. Congrats. Whether you go the further step and take a holiday from your gruelling ideological self-certainty - "America is conservative! It always was! It is! It was!" - probably ain't in the bag. But, what the heck. That really doesn't matter much now, except to you and Ann, of course.

Obviously, I'm having some fun here poking my finger in your eye. But it is not as if a lot of us weren't warning you all along over the last eight years as to this man, his team and the destructive extremisms of modern conservatism. I have no doubt you too will cast the blame for the present state of your nation everywhere but upon 'conservatism'...because 'conservatism' is The Philosophy Built On Truth and it is The Policy That Works. How could IT be at fault?

The dialogue that will reformulate modern american conservatism has been underway (if invisible to the talk radio audience types) since you lost 30 seats in 2006. It is now about to get serious, finally. There's no alternative.

My sincere hope is that you guys will get to this task rather than continue into spite, victimhood and irrelevance.

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 08:17 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
My sincere hope is that you guys will get to this task rather than continue into spite, victimhood and irrelevance.

Fear not ... that is a course best suited to leftists.
blatham

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 10:16 am
@Ticomaya,
Super! Proceed.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 04:22 pm

Read this one, I liked it. Jonathan Raban on Barak Obama.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2008/nov/08/obama-race-democrats-us-elections
blatham

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 05:27 pm
@McTag,
Thanks McT...it is a very good piece.
McTag

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 05:52 am
@blatham,

Thanks Bernie.

I hope Tico reads it too. I want to help to lead him into the light.
blatham

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 06:38 am
@McTag,
"My eyes! They burn!"

But, if he can handle the temporary discomfort, a new and happy world awaits.
Quote:

He [Obama] performed better than John Kerry did among nearly every voter group " significantly better, in some cases.

The president-elect won overwhelmingly among blacks, Hispanics and voters under the age of 30. He made inroads among important swing groups, including Catholics, suburbanites, political independents, even veterans. He won in the Midwest, where Mr. Kerry had lost. He even made small gains among groups that typically have been solidly Republican " whites, conservatives, Southerners, regular churchgoers.

A deep generational divide revealed itself. Voters under 45 backed Mr. Obama; those 60 and over supported Mr. McCain. The rest were divided.

The results also suggest that a significant political realignment may be at hand. The gap between voters who identified themselves either as Democrats or Republicans grew by 7 percentage points, giving Democrats their largest advantage since 1980...
stat breakdown here... http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/09/weekinreview/09connelly.html?ref=weekinreview