Bush Supporters' Aftermath Thread IV

maporsche

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 08:47 am
McGentrix wrote:

I wouldn't mind seeing some 21% interest rates. I'm getting a measly 5.5 at my online bank now. 21% would be great.

I forgot, our country is all about SPENDING your money (or borrowing someone else's money), not SAVING it.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 08:52 am
yeah, a 21% interest rate on your mortgage and credit cards would really help the poor people you were concerned with in your prior post. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 08:58 am
McGentrix wrote:
yeah, a 21% interest rate on your mortgage and credit cards would really help the poor people you were concerned with in your prior post. Rolling Eyes

I'm not the one claiming that the economy is hunky-doory when it really isn't.

I said that I (as in 'me') would like to see 21% interest rates FOR me. I didn't say it would be great for poor people, nor did I say that it would be great for the economy.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 03:25 pm
I offer this today, from The Guardian. I agree with what the writer is saying, and he puts it well.

A drive for global domination has put us in greater danger

Moral authority, which is our greatest source of strength, has been recklessly put at risk by this wilful president

Al Gore
Thursday May 24, 2007
The Guardian

The pursuit of "dominance" in foreign policy led the Bush administration to ignore the UN, to do serious damage to our most important alliances, to violate international law, and to cultivate the hatred and contempt of many in the rest of the world. The seductive appeal of exercising unconstrained unilateral power led this president to interpret his powers under the constitution in a way that brought to life the worst nightmare of the founders. Any policy based on domination of the rest of the world not only creates enemies for the US and recruits for al-Qaida, but also undermines the international cooperation that is essential to defeating terrorists who wish to harm and intimidate America. Instead of "dominance", we should be seeking pre-eminence in a world where nations respect us and seek to follow our leadership and adopt our values.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/story/0,,2086737,00.html
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 03:54 pm
Our "leadership" has been decimated, and our "values" are no longer respected by most around the world. Thanks all to Bush and his ring of criminals.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 12:21 am
http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/9625/070524tornxzq0.gif
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 02:02 am
I was hoping to get a more thoughtful contribution from Tico. We don't need two McGentrixes.

Did you have the gumption to read all of Al Gore's piece?
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 07:30 am
I did "have the gumption" to read it. Mostly I saw an intensely motivated attack that appealed to nearly the full spectrum of superficial talking points circulated among those still reacting to the sting of their earlier political defeats.

Al Gore is no less willing to impose his ideas on others than those he criticizes. Indeed he is far more hypocritical in his manifestation of this rather significant similarity. The cheap shot about the supposed failure to intercept al quaeda in the first 14 months of the Bush administration - after eight years of inaction and evasion by the previous administration, unrelated as it was to the rest of the argument, is likely a window to the psychological state of the author. Poor Al appears in many ways to be living in a rather comfortable dream world, designed to protect him from the unpleasant recollection of failed ambition.

There is a good case to be made for the failures of the Bush Administration. However this wasn't it.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 09:01 am
What George said.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 10:21 am
georgeob: There is a good case to be made for the failures of the Bush Administration. However this wasn't it.

To mention the failures of Al Gore doesn't even come close to the Bush failures. Here's a partial list:

http://www.thousandreasons.org/reasons.php
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 04:22 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
What George said.

None so blind, they say, as those who will not see.

btw I personally am not sure what he said, and I've read it twice now. I'll try again.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 04:51 pm
Please let us know how you fared on your third attempt.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 03:42 pm
Seems to be a kind of smoke screen to avoid taking up any points which Mr Gore made.

On the subject of "dealing with" al Qaida, Bushco's way of dealing has been effective only in strengthening their hand at the expense of hundreds of thousands of lives.

Decisive, unequivocal, but stupid and counterproductive. And immoral.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 04:03 pm
I believe you would be very hard pressed to demonstrate that al Quaeda's hand has been strengthened overall compared to what prevailed in 2001.

In addition, I suggest that you take the time to carefully reread Al Gore's article in the Guardian. This time note the numerous unqualified assertions, the sweeping subjective judgements and the hyperbole scattered throughout. Note also the expressed implication that all of the bad events listed were a planned and deliberate result of Bush's actions & decisions, and not affected by any other agent or factor. Finally note the implication of a benign and peaceful world, disturbed only by the malfesance of the Bush Administration. Ask yourself if this can be the product of reasoned analysis, balanced by an understanding of history.

It is, instead an emotional polemic, quite obviously motivated by the sting of thwarted ambition anger and envy. Perhaps it plays well in Britain, but not here. Gore is dead politically - and deservedly so.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 04:24 pm
Myopia is fine, but we must look at the influence "our war on terrorism" has had on other terrorists groups around the world. Nothing concerning terrorism works in "isolation." The effect of the war in Iraq touches everybody.

This is only one view.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 03:24 am
georgeob1 wrote:
.... I suggest that you take the time to carefully reread Al Gore's article in the Guardian. This time note the numerous unqualified assertions, the sweeping subjective judgements and the hyperbole scattered throughout. Note also the expressed implication that all of the bad events listed were a planned and deliberate result of Bush's actions & decisions, and not affected by any other agent or factor. Finally note the implication of a benign and peaceful world, disturbed only by the malfesance of the Bush Administration. Ask yourself if this can be the product of reasoned analysis, balanced by an understanding of history.

It is, instead an emotional polemic, quite obviously motivated by the sting of thwarted ambition anger and envy. Perhaps it plays well in Britain, but not here. Gore is dead politically - and deservedly so.

What a dreadfully skewed critique

And there was me thinking that Mr Gore's piece was a fair description of the actions of this discredited regime, and the results of these actions at home and abroad.

Some people apparently don't get "emotional" about their country being led into an illegal military action of the basis of deliberately concocted falsehoods- but in my opinion they should.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 08:58 am
McTag wrote:

Quote:
Some people apparently don't get "emotional" about their country being led into an illegal military action of the basis of deliberately concocted falsehoods- but in my opinion they should.

Yes, indeed. And not only do they not become emotional about the deception and 1000+ per year Americans dead and coutless billions in treasure lost because of it, but they also attempt to dilute the truth that this war was Bushco's right from the start. Does anyone think the rightwingnuts wouldn't be falling all over themselves gloating, and not desperately trying to share blame, if this war was a success?

Bush now wants it to last long enough for his dumba*s to get back to Crawford, so he can transfer in reality all the responsibility he's trying to transfer in name right now ("war czar" my as*).
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 09:56 am
But he is the "war president." He likes to call himself that for future historians to take note. He just doesn't want to take responsibility for his ignorance, incompetence and mismanagement of anything.

Don't forget; war president, Bush.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 09:56 am
A good title for a book on Bush could be "how to destroy the world's peace in 1,000 days."
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 04:13 am
Has no-one got anything good to say about the discredited disgraceful criminal little arse*ole today?

He said "As the Iraqis stand up, we will stand down". But he lied again- oil interests are in the process of carving up oilfield exploration and exploitation rights in Iraq and over three-quarters are going to American companies.

That giant "embassy" is not being built for nothing.
0 Replies