Bush Supporters' Aftermath Thread IV

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 16 May, 2007 10:07 am
Some pepole don't understand that without a majority, congress has no way to override the president's VETO. FYI, they need more than the democratic majority. DUH!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 16 May, 2007 05:05 pm
Wolfowitz faces a final showdown
The World Bank's board has resumed its deliberations about the fate of its president Paul Wolfowitz after adjourning at the request of the US.
White House spokesman Tony Snow said they had to "figure out a way forward to maintain the integrity of the institution" after the current scandal.

The comments have been taken as a signal that the Bush administration's support for Mr Wolfowitz is waning.

Mr Wolfowitz is accused of being too involved with his girlfriend's payrise.

He is under pressure to resign after the panel said he had broken the bank's code of conduct by helping to secure a pay rise for his partner, Shaha Riza.

He told the board that their decision would affect how the US and the world viewed the World Bank.

"You still have the opportunity to avoid long-term damage by resolving this matter in a fair and equitable way that recognises that we all tried to do the right thing," Mr Wolfowitz said in a statement.

After the hearing in Washington Mr Wolfowitz's lawyer Robert Bennett said his client's performance justified "the full support he has from leadership in the White House".

'Opposition building'

Mr Snow denied that White House support was diminishing, saying: "We support him. We have confidence in him." But opposition is mounting, especially in Europe.

"He would do the bank and himself a great service if he resigned," according to the German Development Minister Heidemarie Wieczorek-Zeul.

She suggested he would not be welcome at the World Bank's forum on aid for Africa, which is due to start in Berlin on Monday.

"I would not advise him [to take part] if he's still in office," she said.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 17 May, 2007 03:18 pm
Have you seen this song? Very tuneful & soulful

http://politicalhumor.about.com/od/bushvideos/youtube/bushblairlove.htm
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 17 May, 2007 03:59 pm
McT, That's a jewel of a find. Thanks for sharing it with us across the pond.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 17 May, 2007 07:53 pm
Can any of the Bush supporters tell me why he continues to express confidence in Gonzales? It's becoming a question of judgment.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 17 May, 2007 08:05 pm
What judgement? Bush never had good judgement; that's the reason Iraq is such a huge choatic mess.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 17 May, 2007 08:10 pm
Well that's certainly my opinion. But my point is that it is becoming increasingly obvious and difficult to ignore, and I'd like to hear what people who support him have to say about it? What it is it -- misplaced loyalty? Clearly Gonzales can't be effective in his job and the longer he stays the more damage he does to the Justice department. How could a president who understands the importance that institution fail to act to remove him?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 02:00 pm
The former US President Jimmy Carter lambasted Tony Blair for his "blind " support of the Iraq war today, saying it had been a "major tragedy for the world".

…"I think that the almost undeviating support by Great Britain for the ill-advised policies of President Bush in Iraq have been a major tragedy for the world."
Mr Carter condemned the war as "unjustified", and said it had caused "deep schisms" around the globe.

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/article2560259.ece
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 02:26 pm
The complex quickly could become a white elephant if the U.S. scales back its presence and ambitions in Iraq. Although the U.S. probably will have forces in Iraq for years to come, it is not clear how much of the traditional work of diplomacy can proceed amid the violence and what the future holds for Iraq's government.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 20 May, 2007 08:56 am
Checking in, I see the foaming-at-the-mouth, anti-Bushophiles are still here in force.

Hard to imagine there are people who still take Jimmy Carter seriously.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sun 20 May, 2007 09:38 am
Ah, Tico is here. What do you say about your boy and his boy, Gonzales? G-man appears to be flipping all of us a bird. What say you?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sun 20 May, 2007 11:16 am
Ticomaya wrote:
Checking in, I see the foaming-at-the-mouth, anti-Bushophiles are still here in force.

I'm sure a lot of things which go on today are/were hard for you to imagine happening.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 20 May, 2007 11:58 am
Ticomaya wrote:

Hi Ticomaya! Come on in, take a seat, have a drink, and stay a bit. Bush supporters have become rare in this thread, so any arrival and return is greatly appreciated.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sun 20 May, 2007 12:04 pm
Thomas wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:

Hi Ticomaya! Come on in, take a seat, have a drink, and stay a bit. Bush supporters have become rare in this thread, so any arrival and return is greatly appreciated.

He won't stay, because people won't be nice and leave the Bush supporters alone to enjoy their fantasy that their president isn't a failure, and that they weren't a material part of that failure.

Poor fella, you almost feel sorry for the guy.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 20 May, 2007 12:05 pm
speak for yourself...
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 20 May, 2007 01:26 pm
I'm just waiting for the trollers, spammers, and exercises in futility to get tired of their more assinine stupidity and let the conservatives have the thread back to discuss conservative issues. But that doesn't seem likely to happen since the troll and spammer threads are so boring as this one has become. We have to make allowances for some liberals needing to fill their empty lives and the only way they seem to be able to do that is by being rude, insensitive, bigoted, prejudiced, and sometimes hateful. It makes them feel important if they spout their intolerance and deny somebody else a forum to discuss anything other than liberal nonsense.

But geez, if we conservatives appreciate tolerance and inclusiveness as much as some liberals don't, we have to understand how some liberals are. So enjoy the thread as long as you need it folks. Conservatives understand how it is with you. It's okay.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 20 May, 2007 03:37 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
I'm just waiting for the trollers, spammers, and exercises in futility to get tired of their more assinine stupidity and let the conservatives have the thread back to discuss conservative issues. But that doesn't seem likely to happen since the troll and spammer threads are so boring as this one has become. We have to make allowances for some liberals needing to fill their empty lives and the only way they seem to be able to do that is by being rude, insensitive, bigoted, prejudiced, and sometimes hateful. It makes them feel important if they spout their intolerance and deny somebody else a forum to discuss anything other than liberal nonsense.

But geez, if we conservatives appreciate tolerance and inclusiveness as much as some liberals don't, we have to understand how some liberals are. So enjoy the thread as long as you need it folks. Conservatives understand how it is with you. It's okay.

Mr Bush has impressed the world with his calm stewardship of the responsibilities of his office, his grasp of the issues and even of his native language, with the use of his country's unparalleled military might to ensure unity and prosperity for his country and peace for the wider world, with the relatively small number of innocents he has maimed and bombed to death, and left us all happy and grateful for the day he was chosen to lead us forward.

We give grateful thanks too, for his colleagues Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz, Gonzales and Libby (for Cheney)

Is that better Foxy?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 20 May, 2007 03:55 pm
Pity there's no more room on Mount Rushmore.

Maybe we could cast a concrete replica alongside and put these giants up there.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 20 May, 2007 04:22 pm
Whatcha try'n to do; vacate Mt Rushmore for good? LOL
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sun 20 May, 2007 04:47 pm
Quote:
I'm just waiting for the trollers, spammers, and exercises in futility to get tired of their more assinine stupidity and let the conservatives have the thread back to discuss conservative issues.

Strangely enough, nothing has ever stopped you or anyone from discussing whatever they want in this thread.

All you have to do is ignore the posts of the people that you don't want to read, and go on with your discussion. But, you can't do that, and neither can most of your kin.

Don't blame us for your failings...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies