Any experience with a Shiba Inu?

fishin

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 06:54 pm
I'm once again considering getting a dog. Previously I've owned several huskies, an Akita, a yellow lab and a dachshund. I really liike the Husky/Akita style dogs but my current house is smaller than I've lived in in the past and a smaller dog would do better methinks.

That has led me to the Shiba Inu.

http://www.illovich.com/yoshi/pages/twins-thumb.JPGhttp://home.aol.com/wampakuinu/images/creek%20pup.jpg

From the National Shiba Club:

Physical Characteristics

The Shiba is a very proportionate dog with a height to length ratio of 10 to 11. Males run from 14 1/2 to 16 1/2 inches tall, with females ranging from 13 1/2 to 15 1/2 inches. Heights over or under the limits are a disqualification in the show ring. The weight varies according to height up to about 25 pounds. It is a medium boned, moderately compact and well-muscled dog with a generally Spitz-like appearance. Because of its hunting heritage, it is quick, agile and able to turn on a yen. It has a dense double coat similar to that of a husky. Although all colors are acceptable in the Shiba standard, red, red sesame (sable) and black and tan are preferred. White and cream shadings (urajiro) are present on the legs, belly, chest and part of the face and tail.

Temperament
With a black button nose, little pricked ears and a curly tail, the Shiba enters the world knowing he is a superior being. Whether with intrepid boldness, squinty-eyed cuteness or calm dignity, he is king.

The Japanese have three words to describe the Shiba temperament. The first is "kan-i" which is bravery and boldness combined with composure and mental strength. The opposite side of "kan-i" is "ryosei" which means good nature with a gentle disposition. One cannot exist without the other. The charming side of the Shiba is "sobuku" which is artlessness with a refined and open spirit. They combine to make a personality that Shiba owners can only describe as "irresistible."
If a Shiba could only utter one word, it would probably be "mine." It is "mine" food, "mine" water, "mine" toys, "mine" sofa, "mine" crate, "mine" car, "mine" owner, and "mine" world. Sharing is a concept he feels others should practice. Some Shibas may carry "mine" a bit too far and become aggressive in their resource guarding, particularly in the presence of other dogs. It is wise to remove favored toys and food-based treats in the presence of other dogs and small children so the dog doesn't become overly possessive.

If the bait is dangled when a potential Shiba owner sees adults at a dog show or pictures in a magazine, the hook is set when he encounters his first puppy. They are exemplary examples of canine cuteness, fiery little fuzzballs-from-hell, no words can describe the appeal of the infant Shiba. A litter of Shibas is a Dakin™ Convention and a school of piranha; strutting, posturing little windup toys.

The adult Shiba is far from a toy. "Macho stud muffin" has been used to describe the male Shiba. The body may look "muffin," but the mind is all "macho stud." The Shiba takes the "spirited boldness part of his temperament quite seriously. Early socialization and neutering are mandatory for the young puppy. Dog aggression, especially in the un-neutered male, is a breed characteristic. This fiery aspect of the Shiba nature cannot be taken lightly.Most Shiba owners learn to deal with the difficult aspects of the dog's temperament to enjoy the delightful ones. With "sobuku" the Shiba sets his hook into the heart. This is "artlessness" with squinty eyes, airplaned ears, and a vibrating tail. It is "charm" standing in your lap, washing your ears, and "dignity" plus "refinement" born of the knowledge of superiority.

This sounds like a very good fit for me but I don't have any experience with the breed. Has anyone owned one? Know someone that has? Got any tips?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 30,823 • Replies: 65
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 07:05 pm
Macho stud muffin, that's my corgi (neutered male).

That doggie looks like a baby Akita...

I don't know, good luck on finding out about them, as temperment and experiences can vary, even with well known lines of well known breeds.
My business partner has an exceptionally sweet dobie, for example, from a line of sweet dobies (which was fairly restful as she'd had a toughy before, one she'd rescued).
Seems to me it somewhat depends on your circumstances, your level of training and control... and exposure of dog to potential difficulty.... besides the exact breeder.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 07:08 pm
The similarity in apearance to the Akita is one of the major draws for me with the Shiba.

Unlike many of the other breeds I've considered there have been very few warnings with this one.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 07:20 pm
Yes, they are a adorable pups, but be warned- they don't do the doggie unconditional love thing. I have know three of these dogs (one from a different breeder) and all three were what you might call independent. They don't look to be petted and will even duck when you put your hand down to touch them. They can be aggressive and will make a quick snap if they feel someone (person or animal) is in their space, but mostly they just don't give a damn if you're home or not. They also seem to avoid eye contact, as if you are not worthy of their notice. One Shiba I knew was originally called Lola, but the owner changed her name to Garbo when it became apparent that the dog just wanted to be left alone. Beautiful and aloof are probably the two words that sums them up best.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 07:33 pm
I've a soft spot for akitas... not that I've known even one purebred akita.

True story - an old friend had never had a dog or a pet in his life. Sometime back in the neolithic ages, when their children were young, he and his young family was adopted by a funny looking dog when he was teaching, perhaps at Brandeis. There was a dog that lurked, so he threw it some sausage...

Time passed, and the dog used to accompany his children to the school bus, and back home later in the afternoon, came in the house from time to time.

Once some child was fighting with his son (playfully or not, who knows now) and the dog bit the aggressor boy, at least as I heard the story. Dog turned out to be primarily wolf, and the boy was son of a higher up in town. Dog put down.

So, that was a primer, and ever after he just loved big dogs, though as I remember, he never had a dog again until, decades later...

when we knew him, in his late sixties, early seventies, he acquired a shepherd-akita mix. He was, healthwise, a complete mess, but he'd take his dog for walks along the sidewalk in front of neighboring houses in Beverly Hills.... a walk that was a consumate struggle.

But then a miracle happened....

Candice Bergen stopped her car and asked him about his dog, perhaps patted the dog on the head, and then drove off again. This was a highlight of our friend's life at the time.

My hub and I liked that dog a lot too, thus my notice of the Shiba's tail, et all.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 07:46 pm
Part of why I like corgis are that they have big dog personalities - at least mine does - and are merely a tad shorter.... well, okay, a foot or two.

but you may be acquainted with corgis already. I've met a few show corgis and am not as interested in them.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 07:48 pm
Nevah hoid of 'em.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 07:56 pm
Green Witch wrote:
Yes, they are a adorable pups, but be warned- they don't do the doggie unconditional love thing. I have know three of these dogs (one from a different breeder) and all three were what you might call independent. They don't look to be petted and will even duck when you put your hand down to touch them. They can be aggressive and will make a quick snap if they feel someone (person or animal) is in their space, but mostly they just don't give a damn if you're home or not. They also seem to avoid eye contact, as if you are not worthy of their notice. One Shiba I knew was originally called Lola, but the owner changed her name to Garbo when it became apparent that the dog just wanted to be left alone. Beautiful and aloof are probably the two words that sums them up best.

This is one trait I have read up on - the Husky and Akita both do that as well. Several of the info sites mention that some couldn't care less if you are there or not (they like to entertain themselves) while others from the same litter are very friendly and seek out human companionship.

This is something I need to look at hard if/when I'm selecting one.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 07:58 pm
ossobuco wrote:
But then a miracle happened....

Candice Bergen stopped her car and asked him about his dog, perhaps patted the dog on the head, and then drove off again. This was a highlight of our friend's life at the time.

My hub and I liked that dog a lot too, thus my notice of the Shiba's tail, et all.

People used to ask me about my Akita all the time when I took mine out for walks. They got fairly popular in the early 1990s and people may be more accustomed to seeing them now, I dunno. If they bred a mini-Akita I'd go for one in a heartbeat.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 08:07 pm
Keehonds are nice, if you don't mind the hair:

http://www.nextdaypets.com/directory/breeds/images/1100156.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 08:20 pm
So -- farmerman has casahoulas, or however you spell them, right dogs for his property and I trust loved by him. You wouldn't have one of them in an apartment...

My corgi made batches of sense for me, a sort of older woman in northern california with at one point a meth apartment across the street - I had a fairly big yard, and a beefy barker was useful, given I lived on a intersection mid town...
anyone walking by could hear him, as he had heard them, but he didn't bother the neighbors either, or hardly ever, given the footage. I would have never let him off leash out the front door, for a hundred reasons.

Not to go on about me, but to say choice and circumstance can matter.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 08:30 pm
Ha! Interesting.. I took a "Which breed of dog is right for you?" test on the Eukanuba WWW site and it came up with the Shiba tied with the Corgi and the Sheepdog in 2nd place. Razz

Name of Breed Score (out of 100%)
Finnish Spitz 69
Shetland Sheepdog 65
Welsh Corgi (Cardigan) 65
Shiba Inu 65
Welsh Corgi (Pembroke) 65
Cocker Spaniel 64
Cesky Terrier 64
Curly-Coated Retriever 61
Sealyham Terrier 60
Irish Terrier 60
Welsh Terrier 60
Welsh Springer Spaniel 60
Collie 60
Bouvier Des Flandres 57
Bearded Collie 57
Gordon Setter 57
Miniature Schnauzer 57
Dandie Dinmont Terrier 56
American Water Spaniel 56
Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier 56
Clumber Spaniel 56
German Shepherd Dog 56
Beagle 55
Border Terrier 55
Bernese Mountain Dog 55
Hovawart 55
Poodle (Standard) 55
Dalmatian 53
Norwegian Elkhound 53
Polish Lowland Sheepdog 52
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 08:57 pm
My male dog is part Finnish Spitz. Kind of a cousin of the Shiba Inu. You could politely say he's a bit aloof.

If you like a dog with cat-attitude, that group of Spitz can be grand.

I'm a bit of a Spitz freak - next dog (if I don't get sucked in by a rescue again) will be a Schipperke. A tiny-ish Spitz - with large Spitz personality.

I've met a half-dozen or so of them in the past 4 or 5 years - they've been consistently friendly - if very clear that they are in command of whatever situation they're in.

I like this from Wiki (on the Schipperke)

Quote:
They also often act as though they are high in authority in whatever society they live.

bit of a king of the castle approach to life

~~~~~~~

with your dog experience, it seems you could easily handle whatever attitude a small or large Spitz can offer.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 09:27 pm
I think I read that corgis have some spitz in the background, though I don't remember that exactly.

Pacco is the opposite of aloof...
He will position himself in a room of people to protect that group at a right angle; he sometimes watches the house interior from near the front door... actually perpendicular to it.
On the other hand, he is mostly within five feet of me. He always knows where I am.
But, he isn't standoffish to my friends - not the compleat one person dog. So when I travelled, I could easily leave him with my business partner and her husband and their dogs and cats and he had a great time, was totally comfortable.

He curls up at Dys' feet...

When, back in 2001, I went to the humane society to check him out (his photo had been in the paper apparently for weeks, sheesh), we just looked at each others' eyes and he was mine, it was a matter of going through the paperwork hoops. Corgis are famous (apparently) for being fine with being active and being fine with being quiet by your side.

Not to push them, I've only known the one (the only...)
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 05:34 am
Oh wow they come in dark colors, too. What beautiful dawgs: http://www.puppydogweb.com/gallery/shibainus/shibainu_johnarguello.jpg
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 01:18 pm
jespah wrote:
Oh wow they come in dark colors, too. What beautiful dawgs:

The standard colors are red, sesame (red fur with black tips), cream and black with cream.

I've been leaning towards a red but would be happy with a black & cream too. They are extremely cute lil buggers as puppies. Smile
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 01:19 pm
Extremely!

IF we get a dog, doesn't seem like the kind of temperment we'd be going for, but reading with interest. So far seems like a really good fit for you. (If you get one, post lots and lots of puppy pics!)
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2007 07:29 am
jespah wrote:
Oh wow they come in dark colors, too. What beautiful dawgs: http://www.puppydogweb.com/gallery/shibainus/shibainu_johnarguello.jpg

Ha! I picked up "Abby" Friday evening and she looks almost exactly like this pic! Very Happy I'll take some pics this afternoon and post. She'll be 4 months old next weekend.

I brought her over to Quinn's and she was pretty quiet and reserved Friday night and Saturday during the day. We watched a movie yesterday afternoon and she napped on the sofa between the two of us. Then we went out to dinner and when we came home 3 hours later she was just a bundle of energy - a completely different puppy. Again this morning, she's jumping around wanting to play. After an hour or so of rough-housing she's now curled up at me feet taking a nap. Razz
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2007 08:20 am
Oh wow! Congratulations! Looking forward to the pics...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2007 08:42 am
That dog has a look of "What can I get into next?" For the next few years, only buy tables and chairs at Ikea, that way you wont mind as your dog shreds all wooden table legs.

Shiba means "little" so I guess your dogs name, translated into English means "little dog". Im only aware of Tosa Inus (I wouldnt ever reccomend them as theyve even been banned in JApan) or Akita Inus.

Lots of fun years I hope, Maybe dog can go fishin with you.
0 Replies