Any experience with a Shiba Inu?

ehBeth

Reply Wed 16 May, 2007 06:05 pm
I think my face is gonna split from smiling back at her!

I need to get Set down here to look at these Very Happy
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 16 May, 2007 07:40 pm
http://images.tabulas.com/88001/l/abbyface.jpg

Skeerdy dog!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 16 May, 2007 08:12 pm
That's a very pretty dog and she seems quite content now in her new
home.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 17 May, 2007 04:31 am
Just wanna smooch that lil puppy face. Thanks for posting those.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 08:08 pm
Tell us more about her now she is older, Fishin!

I'm in love too.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 05:08 am
All in all I have no complaints about her. She's got all the basic commands down pat and she's smart as a whip.

We took her out camping 3 weeks ago and up until that point Quinn had never heard her bark. While we were there she got into the habit of sitting at the end of the driveway and watching other people walk back and forth.
http://images.tabulas.com/88001/m/abbysilhouette.jpg

We were sitting around the campfire at about 11pm on the 3rd or 4th night there and she barked. Not a stream of barks but one short, loud, crisp bark. Since she doesn't bark often at all I got up and walked over to where she was sitting to see what was up and guess what I find...

http://images.tabulas.com/88001/m/bearface.jpg

Mr. Bear (We nicknamed him "Teddy Ruskspin") would show up every night between 9:30 and 11:30 and every night she'd bark once to let us know he'd arrived.

http://images.tabulas.com/88001/m/bear1.jpg

(For scale, that firepit is about 3' wide - just under 1 meter). She likes most other animals and usually tries to play with them but she didn't like the bear at all. As soon as he got close she'd smell him, bark and then go to the cabin door to get inside.

During the day, she LOVED going on hikes and playing in the streams.

http://images.tabulas.com/88001/m/abbyqueenofthewood.jpg

She is a high-energy dog that can shut down in minutes though. When I put her on a leash she'll run/walk for hours - sometimes pulling - but when she's inside she'll just lay down and sleep.

The only "odd" things I've run into with her is that at 11:20pm she goes a little nuts. She'll run around the house at full speed for 5 minutes or so as if someone is chasing her. It's hillarious. I haven't found any way to stop her when she starts doing it either.

The other thing is that she will wake me up at 6am every morning. I guess she figured out that that is when my alarm goes off but she does it on weekends too. Now I don't need an alarm clock at all. At 6am she leans up on the side of the bed and starts licking my face and doesn't stop until I finally get up. Some days she needs to go outside but on other days she just wants me out of bed.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 09:12 am
fishin wrote:
The only "odd" things I've run into with her is that at 11:20pm she goes a little nuts. She'll run around the house at full speed for 5 minutes or so as if someone is chasing her. It's hillarious. I haven't found any way to stop her when she starts doing it either.

Bailey and Cleo used to do that regularly when they were younger. It's a bit less common in their 'maturity'.

I just read about it in one of my dog magazines. They called it the "zoomies". Dogs apparently know when it's almost time to go to bed (as well as get up Cool ), so go nuts for a bit, to burn off the energy that's stored up, to help with going to sleep at the right time (with you).

~~~

found it - it was Dog Fancy - and the dog bloggers are yakking about it - the zoomies aren't just for puppies (which the article suggested)

~~~
~~~

Love the pix of pup and Teddy.

~~~

Have you considered using a backpack for her when you're out walking? On today's adventure we met a couple with a coupla dogs - one dog carrying a doggie pack - the owners said it was to help her burn up more excess energy (the Dog Whisperer's always suggesting it - seems to work in real life as well).
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 09:20 am
I can't believe I haven't met her yet!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 09:22 am
She seems like such a great dog to have.
Great pictures here.
fishin' weren't you afraid that
the bear could attack your dog?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 11:49 am
ehBeth wrote:
fishin wrote:

Bailey and Cleo used to do that regularly when they were younger. It's a bit less common in their 'maturity'.

I just read about it in one of my dog magazines. They called it the "zoomies". Dogs apparently know when it's almost time to go to bed (as well as get up Cool ), so go nuts for a bit, to burn off the energy that's stored up, to help with going to sleep at the right time (with you).

~~~

found it - it was Dog Fancy - and the dog bloggers are yakking about it - the zoomies aren't just for puppies (which the article suggested)

Interesting! I've never run into it before but then only one of my prior dogs was a puppy. All the others were 2-3 years old when I got them from the pounds.

It makes a bit of sense I guess.

Quote:
Have you considered using a backpack for her when you're out walking? On today's adventure we met a couple with a coupla dogs - one dog carrying a doggie pack - the owners said it was to help her burn up more excess energy (the Dog Whisperer's always suggesting it - seems to work in real life as well).

I bought her a panier so she could carry her own food/water/treats when we go on long hikes. She absolutely hates it and flips out when I put it on her. I'm going to try putting it on her for a few minutes each day inside the house so she can get used to it. I'll just increase the time she wears it a little bit each day until she learns that it isn't going to hurt her. I'm hoping she'll fatten up a bit because she is right at the minumum weight the thing is recommended for. Razz
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 11:58 am
littlek wrote:
I can't believe I haven't met her yet!

Stop hiding out! :wink:

CalamityJane wrote:

fishin' weren't you afraid that
the bear could attack your dog?

Yup! Quinn was paranoid that the bear would get her. But she could smell and hear the bear before we could and she'd bark to give us a warning before the bears got close. We'd grab her a bring her inside the cabin an then grab our cameras and take pics of Teddy when he came through.

We never left her alone outside at all and only left her alone in the cabin for a few minutes here and there. The rest of the time she was within 10 ft. of us after dark. During the day we gave her a 60' circle to roam in or she was on the leash walkling with us (like when we went Geocahing. She visited each cache with us.)

I wouldn't ever put her on a run outside out in the woods and leave her unattended. There's no telling when bears, racoons, etc might come through and cause problems.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 01:13 pm
yeah little k...Abby wants to meet you too! Wink

From "Mom's" point of view:

The way to her heart is through food. Not that she will give you more affection if you feed her but, she won't run away from you while the possibility is there so, you have that choice but only while she gives it to you.

She does the sideways look all the time which is hysterical. It's like 'you're not worthy', 'should she be scared?', if she looks at you straight on 'will she be blinded or burst into flames?', etc etc. Luckily since she has us around all the time we get a little more of the love. She gives us a full on stare as well and it will usually be followed by a jump up in your lap, a lovely kiss right across your lips, or a hunch down and ready to play stance.

She was SO quiet when she was little that I never thought she would bark, growl, etc but, now it cracks me up. She certainly knows when she needs to use it to her advantage to get the attention she requires. The funniest part is when the little gal is running around like a crazy dog on speed and she hunches down and does this really really odd growling thing. Not completely a growl, not a bark - kinda like a speaking (mumbling) growl. "Dad" gets her doing that a lot. She'll also do it on Fridays when I come home and its like she's been waiting to see me all week long - it's the excitement factor.

She does chew on everything. She has been fairly good about not chewing the furniture. Once in a while she'll give it a shot but, stops right when asked so, thats good. She really loves the cats toys and will spend most of her time finding them and destroying them to the best of her abilities. She loves the little furry mice and does a quick job with those. She also likes any of the ones with bells...yummy bells....oiy...always finding the cat toys and putting them up so we don't have a jingling dog. Smile. She really thinks any eyes, nose, tails, etc on toys are the best part to destroy.

It may take her a while to warm up to you, or to a situation but, once she does she'll do what she wants. She wants to watch everything going on more than being up in everyones lap although if given the chance she may be in one of our laps if that feels better. Thank goodness she's not too big! She doesn't like people who are loud, yards near busy streets, shopping carts in stores, that kind of thing just doesn't sit well with her and the little curly tail goes down, she tries to make herself small and everyone says she looks like a fox.

Yes, I was worried she would get into it with a bear, a raccoon, etc just because she is so little and she likes animals so much I really wasn't sure how she would react. Nice to know she barks!

She just discovered the head out the window while driving thing so, thats funny and I have had people in other cars laughing at her or me when she's over me and I'm trying to drive, or the kids in the next car over sqeeeling about the cute puppy which makes her want to hide under the seat but, she just wants to do the dog sniffy thing without too much wind or orther bother and if you're in her way, oh well, get over it.

She's a good dog.
It's a nice warm puppy feeling.
She just adores fishin with all her heart so, it's all good.

Plus, she's cute.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 01:51 pm
Hahahaha.... cat toys..... sigh.....
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 01:55 pm
yeah, I've got to go restock for the poor things - they have enough going on with a dog trying to play with them that they think is the devil without the whole who swallowed the mouse thing going on. lol.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 01:57 pm
It'll make them moe resilient - or they'll snap. One or the other (grin).
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 03:12 pm
The cats actually like each other more but, that's kind of been forced upon them. Smile
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 03:52 pm
See, there's always that silver lining laying around.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 08:53 pm
Thank heaven I found this thread. Fishin' and Quinn, you have so obviously been trained beautifully by Abby and you both have gone crazy in love with her. I know I'm in love and I've never met her.

Abby is a gorgeous puppy with great parents. Who could ask for more?
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 04:54 pm
hey Diane - nice to see you!

Wonderful words..thanks.

Joy is a fabulous thing Smile
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 05:41 pm
{{{{{{{{{{ Quinn and fishin' and Abby }}}}}}}}}}
0 Replies