THE US, THE UN AND IRAQ, ELEVENTH THREAD

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 09:58 am
@revel,
That's not all the damage the US did to Iraq; most of the professionals left the country after our invasion.
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 10:48 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

That's not all the damage the US did to Iraq; most of the professionals left the country after our invasion.

ms. dtom gets at least one a week signing up for esl classes.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 04:51 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
I posted: [If it's true the] Iraqis want us out of their country [and] the Iraqis government agrees that's true, then, Obama, let's get out!

In other words, whenever the Iraqis and their government want us out of their COUNTRY (not merely their cities), THEN Obama, let's get out of their COUNTRY!

Quote:
Iraq's government Monday ruled out allowing U.S. combat troops to remain in Iraqi cities after the June 30 deadline for their withdrawal, despite concern that Iraqi forces cannot cope with the security challenge following a resurgence of bombings in recent weeks.

DontTreadOnMe, the Iraqi government ruling "out allowing U.S. combat troops to remain in Iraqi cities after the June 30 deadline for their withdrawal" is NOT THE SAME THING AS RULING "out allowing U.S. combat troops to remain in IRAQ after the June 30 deadline for their withdrawal

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 04:55 pm
@ican711nm,
The very simple concept you seem to ignore is that the majority of Iraqis want us out of their country. Additionally, most Muslims in the Middle East wants the US occupation of Iraq to end - like many yesterdays ago.
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 06:06 pm
@ican711nm,
ican711nm wrote:

I posted: [If it's true the] Iraqis want us out of their country [and] the Iraqis government agrees that's true, then, Obama, let's get out!

In other words, whenever the Iraqis and their government want us out of their COUNTRY (not merely their cities), THEN Obama, let's get out of their COUNTRY!
DontTreadOnMe, the Iraqi government ruling "out allowing U.S. combat troops to remain in Iraqi cities after the June 30 deadline for their withdrawal" is NOT THE SAME THING AS RULING "out allowing U.S. combat troops to remain in IRAQ after the June 30 deadline for their withdrawal

dude... even the slightest effort ?

Quote:
Maliki Demands All U.S. Troops Pull Out by 2011
Iraqi Leader Pushes Hard on Accord

By Amit R. Paley
Washington Post Foreign Service
Tuesday, August 26, 2008; Page A06

BAGHDAD, Aug. 25 -- Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki demanded a complete U.S. military withdrawal from Iraq by 2011 as he embarked Monday on an attempt to win support among Iraqi leaders for a draft security accord with the United States.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/25/AR2008082500771.html

al maliki threw it out while trying to hardball for concessions, but that doesn't lessen the often repeated message from iraq;

"thanx for whacking saddam. now go home".

ican711nm

Reply Sat 9 May, 2009 07:47 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
The very simple concept you seem to ignore is that the majority of Iraqis want us out of their country. Additionally, most Muslims in the Middle East wants the US occupation of Iraq to end - like many yesterdays ago.

If that is in fact true, then let's tell Obama to get us out of Iraq.

But I would first like to see your evidence whether that's true or not: "the majority of Iraqis want us out of their country."

You did not say, the majority of Iraqis want us out of their cities. But that is nevertheless true, AND the USA will be out of Iraqi cities by the end of June this year.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 9 May, 2009 08:36 pm
@ican711nm,
ican, It's useless trying to have a intelligent discussion with you; the people of Iraq wanted us out when Bush was president. Your ignorance is too deeply ingrained in your brain for any common sense to visit it. You are no on my Ignore list.
ican711nm

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 01:52 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
... the people of Iraq wanted us out when Bush was president.

WAS IT A MAJORITY of the Iraqi people that wanted us out of Iraq when Bush was president? If so, what is your source that supports your opinion?
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 02:00 pm
@ican711nm,
ican711nm wrote:

cicerone imposter wrote:
... the people of Iraq wanted us out when Bush was president.

WAS IT A MAJORITY of the Iraqi people that wanted us out of Iraq when Bush was president? If so, what is your source that supports your opinion?

let's see... hmmm.

now, when the president of the united states makes comments to another head of state, does he first, go door to door and ask each american if it's okay to make those comments?

or do people just take it that he is the head of state and speaks for the country as a whole??
mysteryman

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 02:54 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
the people of Iraq wanted us out when Bush was president.

Do they still want us out?
And if they do, why hasnt Obama signed an executive order yet to start the pullout?
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 03:25 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

Quote:
the people of Iraq wanted us out when Bush was president.

Do they still want us out?
And if they do, why hasnt Obama signed an executive order yet to start the pullout?

sorry man, i can't let this one go by. Wink

Quote:
12,000 U.S. Troops to Leave Iraq
First Step Toward Full Pullout Announced; Baghdad Bombing Kills 28

By Anthony Shadid
Washington Post Foreign Service
Monday, March 9, 2009

BAGHDAD, March 8 -- The U.S. military announced Sunday that 12,000 American soldiers would withdraw from Iraq by September, marking the first step in the Obama administration's plan to pull U.S. combat forces out of the country by August 2010.

In setting the deadline last month, President Obama declared that the United States would restrict itself to achievable goals before departing. The timing of Sunday's announcement underscored that Iraq is likely to remain dangerous, turbulent and vulnerable to major acts of bloodshed during an American withdrawal....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/03/08/AR2009030800397.html

also, as i understand it, pulling out of the cities (although it looks like there will still be 20,000 combat ready in baghdad) this summer.

"measure twice, cut once", i saw that on another thread today. i think it fits here.
mysteryman

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 03:40 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
Why only 12,000?
If the people of Iraq truly want us out, why didnt Obama order the complete pullout the first day he was in office?
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 04:18 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

Why only 12,000?
If the people of Iraq truly want us out, why didnt Obama order the complete pullout the first day he was in office?

first steps, remember. even during the campaign he said 16 months, later 19 months to complete the withdrawl.

c'mon dude, you of all people on the thread understand what a "precipitous" withdrawl would cause. nature abhors a vacum.

mysteryman

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 04:22 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
Quote:
he said 16 months, later 19 months to complete the withdrawl.

But that doesnt explain why he didnt order the pullout immediately when he was sworn in.
Advocate

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 04:43 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
The vast majority of Iraqis don't just want us out, they want us dead. This is, of course, for good reason.

We have largely destroyed their country, killed and wounded hundreds of thousands, created a mass exodus from their country, etc. I remember early on when we attacked, for no good reason, Falujah. We leveled this city of 300,000. The people of our country should have arisen to express disgust over this.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 04:55 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

Quote:
he said 16 months, later 19 months to complete the withdrawl.

But that doesnt explain why he didnt order the pullout immediately when he was sworn in.

umm, can you show me where he didn't? i mean, 12,000 guys and their logistics don't just wake up one day and say, " dude, this is bogus! let's split."

the orders came from some where.

and, btw, you blew off my comment about the precipitous withdrawl.

i'm not understanding what your beef is on this topic.
mysteryman

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 05:33 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
My beef is actually with CI.
He said...

Quote:
The very simple concept you seem to ignore is that the majority of Iraqis want us out of their country.

So I wanna know, if thats the case why didnt Obama, as soon as he was sworn in, order an immediate pullout?
If he had, we could already have the vast majority of our troops and equipment out.

BTW, your own link says...

Quote:
Monday, March 9, 2009

BAGHDAD, March 8 -- The U.S. military announced Sunday that 12,000 American soldiers would withdraw from Iraq by September, marking the first step in the Obama administration's plan to pull U.S. combat forces out of the country by August 2010.

In setting the deadline last month

So, notice the date of the article, and the first line of the second paragraph.
Obama set the deadline LAST MONTH, not when he was sworn in.
Why hasnt he acceded to the wishes of the Iraqi people?

Quote:

No I didnt.
I just remember that many of the left on here, when the repubs used that same argument, said that it wouldnt be our problem, that the Iraqi's would have to figure it out themselves.
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 05:46 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

Quote:

No I didnt.
I just remember that many of the left on here, when the repubs used that same argument, said that it wouldnt be our problem, that the Iraqi's would have to figure it out themselves.

yep, ultimately they will. but actually my concern is more about getting our people out in an orderly fashion that avoids having to pull people off of the roof of the embassy in baghdad.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 07:14 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
mm claims he was in the military and got waterboarded, but he doesn't remember American history in Vietnam when our troops left rather quickly, and leaving behind many innocent people to get killed.

Our military can't leave any theater quickly after being there for over six years; we must save our equipment and materials. Simple minded people don't understand any of this.
ican711nm

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 07:10 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
Well, DontTreadOnMe, I guess that settles it. The US must leave Iraq on the schedule specified by the Iraq government, or earlier as Obama shall specify.