THE US, THE UN AND IRAQ, ELEVENTH THREAD

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2008 03:39 am
The majority of the 41,000 British troops in Iraq will return home by July after a six-year occupation following the US-led invasion of the country in 2003.

From January onwards, four planes per week will bring back soldiers to our local airport (many of the British soldiers have their garrisons around here).

Announcing the withdrawal plans yesterday, the prime minister, Gordon Brown, praised the soldiers, saying their role had helped create a "success story" in Iraq. "You are making a difference in the great spirit of our British armed forces," he said. "We owe you a debt of gratitude for what you are achieving."

The response on army rumour website arrse.co.uk was mostly of relief, but some posters were quick to point out that the focus would now shift to Afghanistan.

"Leaving Iraq to go to ... Afghanistan. Brown is going to get the most publicity out of 'bringing the troops home' between now and July and then, as quietly as possible, deploy them to Afghanistan," one wrote.

Report in the Times, leader in the Independent, soldier's newsblog.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2008 07:05 am
Quote:
BAGHDAD " Up to 35 officials in the Iraqi Ministry of the Interior ranking as high as general have been arrested over the past three days with some of them accused of quietly working to reconstitute Saddam Hussein’s Baath Party, according to senior security officials in Baghdad.

The arrests, confirmed by officials from the Ministries of the Interior and National Security as well as the prime minister’s office, included four generals. The officials also said that the arrests had come at the hand of an elite counterterrorism force that reports directly to the office of Prime Minister Nuri Kamal al-Maliki.

The involvement of the counterterrorism unit speaks to the seriousness of the accusations, and several officials from the Ministries of the Interior and National Security said that some of those arrested were in the early stages of planning a coup.

None of the officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the delicate nature of the subject, provided details about that allegation.

Rumors of coups, conspiracies and new alliances abound in the Iraqi capital a month before provincial elections. Critics of Mr. Maliki say he has been using arrests to consolidate power.

source
ican711nm

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2008 01:44 pm
@revel,
A quote from revel's post:
"Rumors of coups, conspiracies and new alliances abound in the Iraqi capital a month before provincial elections. Critics of Mr. Maliki say he has been using arrests to consolidate power."

Oh my God, the Iraqi people too have some gangsters as well as some terrorists in their midst!

ican711nm

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2008 01:48 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
ican, I doubt very much you even understand simple words like "bigot."

QED: cicerone is a slandering bigot.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2008 01:50 pm
@ican711nm,
No such thing; go back to school, do not pass GO, do not collect $$$.
ican711nm

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2008 04:03 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Cicerone posted: ican, I doubt very much you even understand simple words like "bigot."

I subsequently posted: QED: cicerone is a slandering bigot.

Cicerone subsequently posted: "No such thing; go back to school, do not pass GO, do not collect $$$."

QED: cicerone is a slandering bigot.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2008 04:16 pm
@ican711nm,
Slander is to "lie." You must first prove I lied.
ican711nm

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2008 05:32 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
Slander is to "lie." You must first prove I lied.

You must first prove you posted the truth!

I cannot read your mind, so I cannot prove you knowingly or unknowingly posted a falsity about me.

I can provide a preponderance of evidence that you posted a falsity about me: I, an expert witness on the subject, know that what you posted about me are falsities.

http://unabridged.merriam-webster.com/
Quote:

http://unabridged.merriam-webster.com/cgi-bin/unabridged?va=slander&x=21&y=6
Main Entry: 1slan·der
1 : utterance of false charges or misrepresentations which defame and damage reputation

Quote:

http://unabridged.merriam-webster.com/cgi-bin/unabridged
Main Entry: 3lie
1 : to make an untrue statement with intent to deceive

Quote:

http://unabridged.merriam-webster.com/cgi-bin/unabridged?va=bigot&x=26&y=7
Main Entry: 1big·ot
2 : one obstinately and irrationally, often intolerantly, devoted to his own church, party, belief, or opinion

QED: cicerone imposter is a slandering bigot.

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2008 05:35 pm
@ican711nm,
ican, You don't even understand logic. It's almost impossible to prove a negative.
ican711nm

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2008 05:51 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Cicerone imposter you are wrong. Scientists, engineers, philosophers, and doctors, to name only a few, prove negatives regularly.

A few simple examples:
1. Scientists: The earth is not the center of our solar system.
2. Engineers: That steel beam will not support that load..
3. Philosophers: Truth is not falsity.
4. Doctors: My patient's heart is not pumping.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2008 05:55 pm
@ican711nm,
We are talking about idiotic questions like yours, after I asked you to show me where I lied. You must surely understand this simple question. Just show me which post and/or sentence I wrote that lied.
ican711nm

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2008 06:07 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
We are talking about idiotic questions like yours, after I asked you to show me where I lied. You must surely understand this simple question. Just show me which post and/or sentence I wrote that lied.

QED: Cicerone imposter is a slandering bigot.

I did not post that you lied. I posted that you slandered me by posting falsities about me.

In your statement quoted here you slandered me. You said: "We are talking about idiotic questions like yours." Prove my questions are idiotic.

I'm guessing that you are unaware that the accuser has the burden of proving his accusations are true. The accused is not obligated to prove anything.
revel

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 07:59 am
@ican711nm,
In this case, Ican, it would be hard to know who the gangters are. In any case, the prisoners were released or maybe not.

Reports conflict over Iraqis held for alleged coup plot

Quote:
Baghdad: Conflicting reports arose yesterday over the release of nearly two dozen officials who had been detained for allegedly conspiring to bring back Saddam Hussain's banned Baath party.

National Security Minister Sherwan Al Waili said 19 men were still being held. The arrest order had originally included 23 officials, but four were not detained.

But Interior Minister Jawad Al Bolani insisted for a second day that the men, including some from his ministry, had been released.

Security officials, who could not be named because they were close to the investigation, said none of the men had been released.

Al Waili also said that the arrests and ensuing investigation were related to violations that included forgery and had "no relation with any political motivations". It was unclear why the two ministers, both Shiites, were offering contradictory accounts.

0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 06:23 pm
@ican711nm,
Show me where I posted "falsities" about you?
ican711nm

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 06:51 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
Show me where I posted "falsities" about you?"

cicerone imposter wrote:
ican, You don't even understand logic. It's almost impossible to prove a negative.
ican711nm

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 06:59 pm
@ican711nm,
cicerone imposter wrote:
We are talking about idiotic questions like yours,
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 07:04 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
ican, I doubt very much you even understand simple words like "bigot."
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2008 09:16 am

Ican

You really are the most tremendous fathead.
ican711nm

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2008 08:38 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:
Ican You really are the most tremendous fathead.

McTag, you are a slandering bigot.
ican711nm

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2008 08:44 pm
@ican711nm,
http://unabridged.merriam-webster.com/
Quote:

http://unabridged.merriam-webster.com/cgi-bin/unabridged?va=slander&x=21&y=6
Main Entry: 1slan·der
1 : utterance of false charges or misrepresentations which defame and damage reputation

Quote:

http://unabridged.merriam-webster.com/cgi-bin/unabridged
Main Entry: 3lie
1 : to make an untrue statement with intent to deceive

Quote:

http://unabridged.merriam-webster.com/cgi-bin/unabridged?va=bigot&x=26&y=7
Main Entry: 1big·ot
2 : one obstinately and irrationally, often intolerantly, devoted to his own church, party, belief, or opinion
0 Replies