THE US, THE UN AND IRAQ, ELEVENTH THREAD

ican711nm

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 03:38 pm
McTag wrote:
On the contrary, compare this with the publicity given to the victims of 9/11. (not all Americans btw, not by a long chalk) These things are managed for political ends, and c.i. is right, the homecoming coffins have been shielded from public gaze for political reasons.

I've not seen coffins of 9/11 victims publicized.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 03:57 pm
You really are an amazingly silly fellow.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 04:07 pm
McTag wrote:
You really are an amazingly silly fellow.

Thank you for conceding in your own inimitable but not so amazing 2 Cents fashion.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 04:39 pm
ican711nm wrote:
McTag wrote:
On the contrary, compare this with the publicity given to the victims of 9/11. (not all Americans btw, not by a long chalk) These things are managed for political ends, and c.i. is right, the homecoming coffins have been shielded from public gaze for political reasons.

I've not seen coffins of 9/11 victims publicized.

Silly and disrespectful of those that died by politicizing the funerals.

But here's a picture for you if you really want to play politics with the 9/11 victims.
http://idisk.mac.com/jenlart/Public/FinalFDNYfuneral.jpg
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 05:25 pm
ican wrote: It is a disturbed and sadistic mind that wants the coffins of dead military to be put on public display.

You are really, really a sick man, ican. What do you think our country does when a president dies? He lies in state in the capitol so that thousands can view his coffin to pay their respects and to say goodbye.

Under Bush and you, our soldiers don't deserve to be recognized for their sacrifice.

You are as mentally sick as Bush.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 06:03 pm
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 07:18 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
ican wrote: It is a disturbed and sadistic mind that wants the coffins of dead military to be put on public display.

You are really, really a sick man, ican. What do you think our country does when a president dies? He lies in state in the capitol so that thousands can view his coffin to pay their respects and to say goodbye.

Under Bush and you, our soldiers don't deserve to be recognized for their sacrifice.

We can, have, and will recognize our military in many good ways for their sacrifice without puitting their coffins on public display so the disgruntled can slander them for their sacrifice more easily.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 08:48 pm
ican711nm wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:

We can, have, and will recognize our military in many good ways for their sacrifice without puitting their coffins on public display so the disgruntled can slander them for their sacrifice more easily.

What the hell are you talking about? Make some sense if you can, but I doubt you are capable. "...in many good ways for their sacrifice?" We honor people by attending their funerals; people we love and respect.

The reason thousands visit the National Cemetery is to pay respects to our soldiers and John F Kennedy. For those dying today, we don't wait until ten years from now to pay our respects; we do it as soon as possible after their death. We also pay our respects to the Vietnam Memorial for those who have sacrificed their lives on our behalf. Many family members and friends go there - to acknowledge the sacrifice they have made for our country - in addition to attending their funeral.

ican, The Bush doctrine has screwed up your thinking ability; you are as shameful for thinking that paying our respects to those who have made the greatest sacrifice need not be acknowledged by our country - until some "many good ways" after they have been forgotten.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 08:55 pm
ican711nm wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:

The soldiers aren't being slandered for their sacrifice. That's a load of crap.

What are you afraid of? Somebody might second guess the jeopardy we are putting our countrymen in, and for what?

T
K
O
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 09:58 pm
ican, Who are these "disgruntled" who will slander our soldiers?

Find me one.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 11:08 am
This is pretty funny! McCain chastises Obama for using Iraq's time-line as political, but agrees with it.

McCain calls Obama's stance on Iraq political

By KEVIN FREKING, Associated Press Writer 2 hours, 28 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - Republican presidential contender John McCain said that his challenger, Barack Obama, decided on a timeline for withdrawal from Iraq based on political expediency.

McCain, the likely GOP nominee, said in an interview broadcast Sunday that he is not questioning Obama's patriotism when criticizing the Democrat's policies for the war. Obama has called for a withdrawal over 16 months.

"I am saying that he made the decision, which was political, in order to help him get the nomination of his party," McCain said in an interview broadcast Sunday on ABC's "This Week."

McCain criticized Obama's timeline for withdrawal even though he acknowledged Friday that that 16 months is "a pretty good timetable." Withdrawal, he said, should be based on conditions on the ground.

That's the reason why Obama is not removing all of our troops from Iraq - even after the 16 months.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 11:24 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
ican, Who are these "disgruntled" who will slander our soldiers?

Find me one.

For a start you can go to this thread..

http://www.able2know.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5285&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=350
And read the comments made by "henrygreen".
They start on page 36 of that thread.

Then there was the comment made by "tartarin" on page 4 of that thread...

Quote:
I'd like to say that I'm hoping that this US invasion of a sovereign nation will be a god-awful flop and mess.

That sure sounds like someone that would slander the military.

Then of course there was this thread that actually linked to the newspaper report...

http://www.able2know.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24980

Then lets not forget Nicholas De Genova, a Columbia University assistant professor of anthropology and Latino studies.

Do you remember him?
Quote:
Nicholas De Genova, a Columbia University assistant professor of anthropology and Latino studies, shocked students and faculty at a campus anti-war teach-in on March 26 when he expressed his wish that Iraq would defeat the United States and that there would be "a million Mogadishus." This last comment was meant to refer to a 1993 incident in Somalia when 18 U.S. soldiers were killed during a military operation.

De Genova further insulted America's men and women in uniform by declaring that "the only true heroes are those who find ways that help defeat the U.S. military," and accused patriotic citizens of being white supremacists.

http://www.academia.org/campus_reports/2003/apr_2003_2.html

That sure seems like someone that would slander the troops every chance he got.

Then of course there was joefromchicago's thread titled "I want the US to lose the war in Iraq"
http://www.able2know.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=41808

So, I just gave you several examples.
Are you going to deny that any of them occurred?
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 01:38 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
ican711nm wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:

What the hell are you talking about? Make some sense if you can, but I doubt you are capable. "...in many good ways for their sacrifice?" We honor people by attending their funerals; people we love and respect.

The reason thousands visit the National Cemetery is to pay respects to our soldiers and John F Kennedy. For those dying today, we don't wait until ten years from now to pay our respects; we do it as soon as possible after their death. We also pay our respects to the Vietnam Memorial for those who have sacrificed their lives on our behalf. Many family members and friends go there - to acknowledge the sacrifice they have made for our country - in addition to attending their funeral.

ican, The Bush doctrine has screwed up your thinking ability; you are as shameful for thinking that paying our respects to those who have made the greatest sacrifice need not be acknowledged by our country - until some "many good ways" after they have been forgotten.

When I visited Arlington Cemetary or attended funerals there, I didn't see any coffins on display to the general public. I saw only grave markers or locked metal cabinets in which cremated remains were enclosed. In the case of other funerals I have attended, I did not see coffins on display to the general public. What I did see at funerals I attended were holes in the ground containing a coffin visible to the family and friends of the deceased.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 09:10 pm
Anybody else notice that CI hasnt made an appearance since I answered his challenge?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 09:29 pm
Islamic terrorists are now threatening to attack the Olympics.

I guess China needs to get out of Iraq for its own safety.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25868137
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 02:47 am
ican711nm wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:
ican711nm wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:

When I visited Arlington Cemetary or attended funerals there, I didn't see any coffins on display to the general public. I saw only grave markers or locked metal cabinets in which cremated remains were enclosed. In the case of other funerals I have attended, I did not see coffins on display to the general public. What I did see at funerals I attended were holes in the ground containing a coffin visible to the family and friends of the deceased.

Nobody's talking about wanting to put coffins "on public display"

I'm talking about the practice of secretly repatriating dead soldiers (without due honour) because the sight of the coffins would make the administrations policies look bad.

A picture is worth 1000 words, they say.

Unless they're Ican's words of course, in which case they're worth jack ****.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 07:38 am
mysteryman wrote:
Islamic terrorists are now threatening to attack the Olympics.

I guess China needs to get out of Iraq for its own safety.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25868137

(your link expired)

Actually I don't think the UIGHUR separatist group which is a Turkestan Islamic Party in eastern China and other places (from what I gathered a while ago on google) is all that concerned with Iraq or the US. They mostly want an independent Islamic State separate from China. I don't approve just clarrifying the issue.

Quote:
A UIGHUR separatist group that has taken credit for a deadly bus bombing in Shanghai in May has warned of further attacks in China during the Olympics.
Commander Seyfullah of the Turkestan Islamic Party claimed in a video statement that the organisation had made several attacks.

They include the May 5 Shanghai bus bombing which killed three; another Shanghai attack; an attack on police in Wenzhou on July 17 using an explosives-laden tractor; a bombing of a Guangzhou plastic factory on July 17; and bombings of three buses in Yunnan province on July 21.
"Through this blessed jihad in Yunnan this time, the Turkestan Islamic Party warns China one more time," Seyfullah says in the video dated July 23, according to a transcript from the Washington-based IntelCentre.

"Our aim is to target the most critical points related to the Olympics. We will try to attack Chinese central cities severely using the tactics that have never been employed."

Chinese officials denied the Turkestan Islamic Party was behind the bus bombings in Shanghai, but IntelCenter director Ben Venzke pointed to a party video showing how to make a truck bomb as evidence that the group had the capacity for serious attacks.

"So far no evidence has been found to indicate the explosions were connected with terrorists and their attacks, or with the Beijing Olympics,'' a Yunnan public security official was quoted as saying by the official Xinhua news agency.

"The (May 5) blast was indeed deliberate but had nothing to do with terrorist attacks," Cheng Jiulong, deputy head of Shanghai police, told Xinhua.

But Venzke said: "At this point in time, we believe that, based on the TIP's demonstrated ability to conduct bombings and the apparent opportunity TIP believes the Olympic Games presents in terms of targeting and striking a blow to China, that the threat is credible and should be taken seriously.

"Questions remain as to exactly what the TIP capabilities are in the eight cities they have threatened, and whether the group has the ability to conduct a sustained campaign during the Games or one or two large-scale attacks."

The Turkestan Islamic Party is a name used by the Islamic Party of East Turkestan (ETIM), an ethnic Uighur and Muslim separatist group seeking to create an independent state out of China's westernmost, heavily Muslim Xinjiang province, global intelligence analysts Stratfor said.

The United States, China and other countries have designated ETIM a terrorist group.

Stratfor officials said in an analysis of the July 23 video that "Seyfullah's claims appear greater than reality, (but) they cannot be entirely dismissed, nor can the potential for further transportation infrastructure attacks against China".

The Turkestan Islamic Party also said in its video that the group was willing to use biological weapons in an attack, and Venzke said that specific threat could not be discounted. But, Venzke added, TIP lacked a "demonstrated capability" to use biological weapons.

Venzke also noted that senior al-Qaeda figure Ayman al-Zawahiri had made reference several times to the Uighurs' fight for an East Turkestan homeland.

"While not yet on the level of attention focused on places like Somalia, Sudan, Algeria and other major theaters, al-Zawahiri's references do firmly place the jihadi efforts in East Turkistan in the mix of important jihadi fronts," he said.

source
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 07:45 am
Quote:
Guerrillas in Iraq set off three bombs one after another on Monday morning, targeting Shiite pilgrims on their way to the Shrine of Imam Musa al-Kadhim in Kadhimiya, north Baghdad, to commemorate his death. They killed at least 11 persons and wounded some 33. The bombings on this Shiite holy day are an unwelcome reminder that Sunni-Shiite sectarian tensions remain high in Baghdad and that Sunni Arab guerrillas are still attempting to provoke sectarian feuding as a way of destabilizing the situation. All this, despiteIraqi police attempts to forestall such attacks.

On Sunday, Sunni Arab guerrillas shot down seven Shiite pilgrims as they passed through a Sunni area on their way to Kadhimiya, according to AP (though the report has been questioned). Imam Musa al-Kadhim is the 7th in the line of close relatives of the Prophet Muhammad who, Shiites, believe, were his rightful vicars.

source

Quote:
Baghdad: A series of bombings tore through a Shiite pilgrimage in Baghdad and a Kurdish rally in northern Iraq on Monday, killing at least 40 people and wounding scores more, police said.

The violence began in Baghdad, when a roadside bomb and three suicide attackers exploded in quick succession among crowds of Shiite pilgrims, killing at least 28 people and wounding 92.

Police said initial reports showed the first three explosions were caused by female suicide bombers.

The attacks occurred at a time when Shiites have flooded into Baghdad for a a massive religious procession that peaks on Tuesday.

At least a million people are expected to visit the Kadhamiya shrine in northwestern Baghdad for the event. Iraqi security forces have clamped tight security in the area.

All explosions were close to Baghdad's Karrada district in central Baghdad, an area many pilgrims would pass through on their way to the shrine.

source

This is probably going to set back talk of timetables of withdrawal. Also, I feel bad for those killed or wounded.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 08:04 am
Quote:

Report: Empty prison in Iraq a $40M 'failure'

BAGHDAD - In the flatlands north of Baghdad sits a prison with no prisoners. It holds something else: a chronicle of U.S. government waste, misguided planning and construction shortcuts costing $40 million and stretching back to the American overseers who replaced Saddam Hussein.

"It's a bit of a monument in the desert right now because it's not going to be used as a prison," said Stuart Bowen, the special inspector general for Iraq reconstruction, whose office plans to release a report Monday detailing the litany of problems at the vacant detention center in Khan Bani Saad.

The pages also add another narrative to the wider probes into the billions lost so far on scrubbed or substandard projects in Iraq and one of the main contractors accused of failing to deliver, the Parsons construction group of Pasadena, Calif.

"This is $40 million invested in a project with very little return," Bowen told The Associated Press in Washington. "A couple of buildings are useful. Other than that, it's a failure."

source
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 08:13 am
revel wrote:
Quote:
... Stuart Bowen, the special inspector general for Iraq reconstruction, whose office plans to release a report Monday detailing the litany of problems at the vacant detention center in Khan Bani Saad.
[...]

Report online (as pdf-data): SIGIR: Outcome, Cost, and Oversight of the Security and Justice Contract with Parsons Delaware, Inc.
0 Replies