THE US, THE UN AND IRAQ, ELEVENTH THREAD

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 07:36 pm
hamburger wrote:
c. i. : your post is a " Another positive sign of progress " - will the world never learn ? afraid not Crying or Very sad
hbg

But "they" will continue to provide a rosy picture of "progress" to the world at large. Some people will never "get it."
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2008 06:24 am
Blast kills 11, including 4 Americans, in Sadr City building

Vehicle bombing in crowded Baghdad marketplace kills 51

Bombings kill at least 23, including 3 US Marines in separate attacks in Iraq

Shooting in Baghdad tests center leaves casualties

At least 42 killed in Iraq (2nd Roundup)

Iraqi officials outraged by U.S. raid in prime minister's hometown
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2008 06:43 pm
i'm sure revel's post could also be put under the heading "progress in the war against terrorists " .

[it reminds me somewhat of the second world war when the german army was retreating from the soviet-union . the word "retreat" was not in the vocabulary of the german ministry of propaganda . they described these retreats as "straightening of front lines" ('front begradigung' in german) - finally the lines were staightened enough to bring the soviet army to the gates of berlin - and the war ended ]
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2008 08:23 am
It's remarkable how much progress we're making in Iraq - in such short order.

Truck bomb kills 7 people north of Baghdad

By SEBASTIAN ABBOT, Associated Press Writer 1 hour, 53 minutes ago

BAGHDAD - A truck bomb detonated by remote control north of Baghdad killed six policemen and a member of a local group of Sunni volunteers who have turned against the insurgents, police said.

The truck was parked along the side of a road in Duluiyah, some 45 miles north of Baghdad, and exploded as police entered the vehicle to search it, said police Col. Mohammed Khalid.

In other violence, gunmen killed the head of Basra's intelligence department Saturday night in a drive-by shooting in eastern Baghdad, local police said, speaking on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk to the media.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2008 12:04 pm
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2008 02:48 pm
I am certainly glad that the US was a country before the Internet was created. I doubt we'd have been successful if it had.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2008 02:55 pm
It was a good thing the US was created before George W Bush; he's been successful at destroying over 50 percent of it in seven years!
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2008 05:27 pm
ci, are you optimistic about anything?
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2008 06:08 pm
McGentrix wrote:
I am certainly glad that the US was a country before the Internet was created. I doubt we'd have been successful if it had.

Well, the internet was invented before the new country of Iraq. Is that what's preventing success over there?

T
K
O
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2008 06:57 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
It was a good thing the US was created before George W Bush; he's been successful at destroying over 50 percent of it in seven years!

So we have lost 26 or more states?
We have lost more then 51% of out territories and posessions?
We have lost over 51% of this countries wealth, both totally and personally?

Exactly what 51% of this country have we lost?
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 07:19 am
Iraq opens 6 oil fields for international bidding

Quote:

Iraq to award oil contracts to foreign companies

Quote:
BAGHDAD (AFP) - Iraq on Monday will award oil contracts to dozens of foreign companies in a bid to boost production that could also give multinationals a foothold in the country's huge but underdeveloped oil fields.

The oil ministry is to hold a press conference to announce the deals which include five technical support agreements with companies such as Shell, ExxonMobil, Chevron, Total and BHP Billiton, ministry spokesman Asim Jihad said.

The ministry also plans to sign contracts with 41 other foreign companies for extracting oil, Jihad had told AFP last week. These are expected to be short-term arrangements.

The contracts do not allow investments by the foreign companies in the oil sector but do pave the way for global energy giants to return to Iraq 36 years after executed dictator Saddam Hussein chased them out.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 08:54 am
Another sign of progress, revel.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 10:00 am
Yea I know; we never post signs of progress. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 07:07 am
Quote:

source

Ha, They are just helping out the Iraqis with technical and legal details of contracts out of the goodness of their own little hearts with no interest at all in any of the negotiations and contract deals. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 09:43 am
revel wrote:
Quote:

source

Ha, They are just helping out the Iraqis with technical and legal details of contracts out of the goodness of their own little hearts with no interest at all in any of the negotiations and contract deals. Rolling Eyes

Wolves watching over the chicken pen; "technical and legal details" was established long before Bush started his war in Iraq.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 05:36 am
Quote:
New Information about Administration Knowledge of Hunt Oil's Kurdish Contract

Documents provided to the Oversight Committee show that Administration officials knew about Hunt Oil's interest in the Kurdish region months in advance, contradicting claims that Administration officials were caught off-guard and opposed Hunt Oil's actions. In a letter sent to Secretary Rice, Chairman Waxman requested information about the U.S. role in the efforts of other oil companies to obtain Iraqi contracts.

source

Quote:
In this area everyone knows the Hunts. Dallas billionaire Ray L. Hunt and his relatives are one of the wealthiest oil and gas dynasties in the world. Hunt, a close friend of President George W. Bush, recently donated $35 million to Southern Methodist University to help build Bush's presidential library. In 2001, Bush made him a member of the Foreign Intelligence Advisory Board, where Hunt received a security clearance and access to classified intelligence.

source

Quote:
Q You recently spoke just earlier about the importance of oil revenue sharing in Iraq. Recently a company called Hunt Oil, run by one of your long-time supporters, Ray Hunt, signed a deal with a Kurdish regional government to drill for oil up there. That deal has come under intense criticism from the national government in Baghdad. They say it undermines the discussions about oil legislation. What's you're opinion of that kind of deal and how it impacts this long-stalled legislation?

THE PRESIDENT: Our embassy also expressed concern about it. I knew nothing about the deal. I need to know exactly how it happened. To the extent that it does undermine the ability for the government to come up with an oil revenue sharing plan that unifies the country, obviously if it undermines it I'm concerned.

source

Quote:
The documents that the Committee has received tell a different story about the role of Administration officials. Ray Hunt, the head of Hunt Oil, personally informed advisors to President Bush of meetings he and other Hunt Oil officials planned with representatives of the Kurdish government. Other Hunt Oil officials kept State Department officials informed about the company's intentions. An e-mail from Hunt Oil's general manager states: "There was no communication to me or in my presence made by any of the 9 state department officials with whom I met ... that Hunt should not pursue our course of action leading to a contract. In fact, there was ample opportunity to do so, but it did not happen." A Commerce Department official who met with Hunt Oil officials in Kurdistan offered them further support and wished them "a fruitful visit to Kurdistan." Five days after the announcement of the Hunt Oil contract, a State Department official contacted Hunt Oil to describe another "good opportunity for Hunt" in Iraq, prompting a Hunt Oil official to write Ray Hunt: "This is really good for us. ... I find it a huge compliment that he is 'tipping' us off about this.... This is a lucky break."

source
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 05:43 am
Quote:
Mullen: Afghanistan "is gonna be a pretty tough fight''

"I'm deeply troubled" at the trend of increasing violence in Afghanistan, Adm. Mike Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, told reporters at the Pentagon this morning.

"We need more troops there," Mullen said. "I don't have the troops I can reach for.''

Mullen said he is hopeful that if current trends continue in Iraq, with significantly reduced violence, that some troops can be shifted into Afghanistan. He said he could not say when that could happen.

"We've seen the Taliban revert to the kind of violence that is tied to IEDs and suicide bombings and I think we can expect more of that" in the coming months, Mullen said. "I think it's gonna be a pretty tough fight for a while."

He cited the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit and the 2nd Battalion, 7th Marines as having "a tremendous impact'' in southern Afghanistan.

"But we don't have enough troops there to hold (territory), and that is the key," he said. There is no plan to replace the two Marine units, which are expected to finish their deployment early this fall.

"It's a very complex problem, and it's tied to the drug trade a faltering economy and, as I've said many times, the porous border region with Pakistan. There's no easy solution, and there will be no quick fix," Mullen said.

source
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 07:19 pm
When the rich get richer so does the middle class. Wealth is not a fixed quantity such that when some get more others get less. Wealth is increased by all those getting more wealthy--yes, even those on limited incomes get more wealthy and more economic choices as others get more wealthy.

So it will be good for the Iraqis if private oil companies take over the management of Iraqi oil production and refining. Neither the Iraq or American governments are competent to do that job.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 08:04 pm
ican, Where do you live? It surely is not on this planet.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 08:06 pm
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A34235-2004Sep19.html
0 Replies