THE US, THE UN AND IRAQ, ELEVENTH THREAD

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 10:36 am
ican has a solution for this problem too!~

Police: Female suicide bomber kills 15 in Iraq

By HAMID AHMED, Associated Press Writer 1 hour, 15 minutes ago

BAGHDAD - A female suicide bomber struck near a government compound northeast of Baghdad on Sunday, killing at least 15 people and wounding 40, police said. At least 21 suicide attacks have been carried out this year by women.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 10:37 am
on our recent cruise around the maritimes we noticed that many buildings have roofs with "collector panels" .
i assumed that plenty of sunshine was needed to collect sufficient heat/energy , but learned that wherever grass grows , there is sufficient heat in the air to help heat a house through collector panels .
since daytime electricity is rather expensive in the maritimes , many houses have now installedd "heat-sinks" that are heated up by cheap nighttime electricity . the heat is gradually released during the daytime .
the claim is that this heating method will cut heating costs - when compared to gas or oil - by 60 - 70% .
when night-time tariffs come into effect in ontario , i'll certainly consider that method .
demand meters were installed over a year ago , but we've been told that it will be another year or two to install the recording equipment at the local utilities .
hbg
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 10:46 am
hbg, Speaking of recording meters, I was talking with some workers from Pacific Gas and Electric (we meet almost every morning at the local coffee shop - except on weekends), and asked them about digitized meters to save on human meter-readers. They said that'll eventually be common in the energy companies, but it's still very expensive to install.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 11:12 am
as i said : demand meters were installed a year ago ! they just "hang around doing nuttin " - meter reader still comes every other month !
i've been told : "we are in the testing stages " Shocked :wink:
by the time the testing is finished , the meters will likely be out of date .
hbg

btw british prime minister GORDON BROWN believes he has a solution to the oil/energy crisis .
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 11:55 am
Alternative Assumptions:
1. Total Solar Panel Surface Area = 500 thousand square meters;
2. Total Elecrtricity Production per Total Solar Panel Surface Area = 30 million kilowatt hours per year;
3. Each Texas household needs one-thousand kwhs per month or 12-thousand kwhrs per year.

30,000,000 kwhs produced per year/ 12,000 kwhrs consumed per year per household= 2,500 households.

500,000 square meters of solar panels / 2,500 households = 200 square meters of solar panels per household.

One square meter = 10.764 square feet.

200 square meters of solar panels per household x 10.764 square feet per square meter = 2,152.8 square feet of solar panels per household.

IF on the average each solar panel generates electricity 8 hours per day, THEN 2,152.8 x 24/8 = 6,458.32 square feet of solar panels per household are required to meet the average Texas household's electricity needs.

Note: The above calculation does not account for the electric power required to:
1. Convert Direct Current to Alternating Current; and,
2. Store electric power for up to 16 hours per average day when the solar panels are not generating electric power.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 01:49 pm
Quote:
IF on the average each solar panel generates electricity 8 hours per day

I didn't realize that solar panels had a union to restrict their working time to 8 hours a day.

Hmmm.. what was that about the equinox? Oh. That's right, day and night are basically equal.
The summer has days that are longer than nights even in Texas.

Sometimes Ican, you just make yourself look like a complete idiot.
Quote:
. Store electric power for up to 16 hours per average day when the solar panels are not generating electric power.
The average day in Texas or anywhere in the US is not restricted to 8 hours of daylight. Solar panels produce electricity even on a cloudy day.

According to this site the conservative average for a year in Pasedena is 230kwh/m2 (12 x 1.3 meter panels make 3600kwh)
http://www.pathtofreedom.com/pathproject/offthegrid/solar.shtml

Texas has the same length days as Pasadena. The total electricity produced by 500 thousand sq meters would be more on the order of 120 kwh per year.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 02:05 pm
Put another way..

1 sq meter of solar panel produces 150w
8 hours a day

150x 8 = 1200 per 8 hour day.
multiply by 30 days

1200 x 30 = 36000w per month per meter sq.

1000kwh = 1,000,000 w

1,000,000w/36000w/m2= 27.8m2 required to make 1000w per year if only working 8 hours a day.

Increase that to 12 hours a day for the panels to work (Easy to do since no AC is needed during short winter days in Texas.) and you only require 18.5 sq meters.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 02:16 pm
parados wrote:
Quote:

I didn't realize that solar panels had a union to restrict their working time to 8 hours a day.

Neither did I. I thought the sun and clouds dictated that. Some days and locations on the earth during the year it's zero clouds and 24 hours of sunlight. Other days and locations during the year it's zero hours of sunlight. I assumed the average was 8 hours of sunlight. I doubt the average is 24 hours of sunlight per day. If you have what you think is a better guess support it with data.

Hmmm.. what was that about the equinox? Oh. That's right, day and night are basically equal.

Quote:
. Store electric power for up to 16 hours per average day when the solar panels are not generating electric power.
The average day in Texas or anywhere in the US is not restricted to 8 hours of daylight. Solar panels produce electricity even on a cloudy day.

Solar Panels produce less electricity on cloudy days than they do on sunny days.

According to this site the conservative average for a year in Pasedena is 230kwh/m2 (12 x 1.3 meter panels make 3600kwh)

Texas has the same length days as Pasadena. The total electricity produced by 500 thousand sq meters would be more on the order of 120 kwh per year.

Others claim it would be more on the order of 30 million kwhs per year. Your estimate is equivalent to 120/30,000,000 = 4 x 10^(-6) hours per day. I think your calculations are incorrect.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 02:53 pm
parados wrote:
Put another way..

1 sq meter of solar panel produces 150w
8 hours a day

150x 8 = 1200 per 8 hour day.
multiply by 30 days

1200 x 30 = 36000w per month per meter sq.

1000kwh = 1,000,000 w

1,000,000w/36000w/m2= 27.8m2 required to make 1000w per year if only working 8 hours a day.

Increase that to 12 hours a day for the panels to work (Easy to do since no AC is needed during short winter days in Texas.) and you only require 18.5 sq meters.

While no electric air conditioning is needed in Texas during the winter, electric heating would be needed by those who use electricity to heat their households.

According to the data provided by old europe, 500,000 square meters of solar panels produce 30,000,000 kilowatt hours per year: that's 30,000,000 / 500,000 = 60 kilowatt hours per year per square meter. If you think old europe's data is invalid, please explain why.

24 hours x 365 days = 8760 hours per year. Now, 60 kilowatt hours per year per square meter = 60,000 watt hours per year per square meter. Then, 60,000 watt hours per year per square meter = 60,000 / 8760 = 6.85 watt hours per hour per square meter.

Then 1 square meter of solar panels produce 6.85 watt hours per hour x 8 hours per day= 54.8 watt hours in an 8 hour day.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 03:16 pm
ican711nm wrote:
parados wrote:
Quote:

Neither did I. I thought the sun and clouds dictated that. Some days and locations on the earth during the year it's zero clouds and 24 hours of sunlight. Other days and locations during the year it's zero hours of sunlight. I assumed the average was 8 hours of sunlight. I doubt the average is 24 hours of sunlight per day. If you have what you think is a better guess support it with data.

I am curious where in Texas they get 24 hours of sunlight in a day. I never assumed 24 hours a day. I only pointed out that your estimate of 8 hours a day is unrealistic. A partly cloudy day with the sun peeking through makes almost as much electricity as a full sunny day.
February in Austin, the days average 11 hours long, the % of days with sun 51%.
June in Austin, the average day is 14 hours, the % of days with sun is 69%
The average day for PEAK power in February is 5.5 hours. The average day for peak power in June is 9.8. But the solar panels still work at a reduced efficiency when it is cloudy so you can't eliminate them completely.
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=24&month=6&year=2008&obj=sun&afl=-11&day=1
http://web2.iadfw.net/danb1/climate.htm

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Solar Panels produce less electricity on cloudy days than they do on sunny days.
Less is not the same thing as none.

Quote:
Quote:

Others claim it would be more on the order of 30 million kwhs per year. Your estimate is equivalent to 120/30,000,000 = 4 x 10^(-6) hours per day. I think your calculations are incorrect.
It should read "120 million kwh."
A source for your "others?"
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 03:56 pm
parados wrote:
ican711nm wrote:
parados wrote:
Quote:

Neither did I. I thought the sun and clouds dictated that. [/color]Some days and locations on the earth during the year it's zero clouds and 24 hours of sunlight. Other days and locations during the year it's zero hours of sunlight. I assumed the average was 8 hours of sunlight. I doubt the average is 24 hours of sunlight per day. If you have what you think is a better guess support it with data.[/size]

I am curious where in Texas they get 24 hours of sunlight in a day. I never assumed 24 hours a day. I only pointed out that your estimate of 8 hours a day is unrealistic. A partly cloudy day with the sun peeking through makes almost as much electricity as a full sunny day.
February in Austin, the days average 11 hours long, the % of days with sun 51%.
June in Austin, the average day is 14 hours, the % of days with sun is 69%
The average day for PEAK power in February is 5.5 hours. The average day for peak power in June is 9.8. But the solar panels still work at a reduced efficiency when it is cloudy so you can't eliminate them completely.
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=24&month=6&year=2008&obj=sun&afl=-11&day=1
http://web2.iadfw.net/danb1/climate.htm

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Less is not the same thing as none.

Quote:
Quote:

It should read "120 million kwh."
A source for your "others?"
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 11:04 am
HERE IS ANOTHER INTERPRETATION
old europe wrote:

Take a look at commercial PV plants like Beneixama:

http://i28.tinypic.com/2a7ajw6.gif

Given:
1. Total Solar Panel Surface Area = 500,000 square meters;
2. That Solar Panel Surface Area produces = 30,000,000 kWhs per year.

Total hours in a year = 365 days x 24hours per day = 8760.

Assume:
Average consumption of electric power per Texas household per year = 12,000 kWhs.

Then:
Consumption of electric power per Texas household per elapsed hour = 12,000 / 8760 = 1.37 kWhrs.

The Solar Panel power generated per elapsed hour = 30,000,000 kWhs / 8,760 = 3424.66 kWhrs.

Number of Texas households for which the power requirements are met by the total solar panel surface area = 3424.66 kWhs / 1.37 kWhrs = 2500.

Solar Panel Surface Area per Texas household = 500,000 square meters / 2500 households = 200 square meters.

Square feet of solar panels per Texas household = 200 square meters x 10.764 square feet per square meter = 2152.8 square feet per Texas household.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2008 08:29 am
Government Study Criticizes Bush Administration's Measures of Progress in Iraq
Quote:

Beyond the declines in overall violence in Iraq, several crucial measures the Bush administration uses to demonstrate economic, political and security progress are either incorrect or far more mixed than the administration has acknowledged, according to a report released Monday by the Government Accountability Office.

(underlined and bolded to show it is not just an opinion piece by the NYT who you all hate and like depending on what they say; but an article on a report)

Quote:
Over all, the report says, the American plan for a stable Iraq lacks a strategic framework that meshes with the administration's goals, is falling out of touch with the realities on the ground and contains serious flaws in its operational guidelines.

Newly declassified data in the report on countrywide attacks in May shows that increases in violence during March and April that were touched off by an Iraqi government assault on militias in Basra have given way to a calmer period. Numbers of daily attacks have been comparable to those earlier in the year, representing about a 70 percent decline since June 2007, the data shows.

While those figures confirm the assessments by American military commanders that many of the security improvements that first became apparent last fall are still holding, a number of the figures that have been used to show broader progress in Iraq are either misleading or simply incorrect, the report says.

Administration figures, according to the report, broadly overstate gains in some categories, including the readiness of the Iraqi Army, electricity production and how much money Iraq is spending on its reconstruction.

And the security gains themselves rest in large part not on broad-scale advances in political and social reconciliation and a functioning Iraqi government, but on a few specific advances that remain fragile, the report says. The relatively calm period rests mostly on the American troop increase, a shaky cease-fire declared by militias loyal to the Shiite cleric Moktada al-Sadr, and an American-led program to pay former insurgents to help keep the peace, the report says.

"Clearly there are substantial changes in the security situation on the ground," said Nathan Freier, a retired Army officer who served in Iraq in 2005 and 2007 and is now a senior fellow in the international security program at the Center for Strategic and International Studies in Washington.

The administration prefers to focus on those improvements, Mr. Freier said. But the accountability office report, which Mr. Freier read on Monday, and his own observations in Iraq contain a different message, he said.

"Iraq remains a mixed bag and will continue to do so in perpetuity, to be quite honest," he added.

Letters from the Treasury Department, the State Department and the Pentagon that were attached to the report all disagreed with many of its central findings. In the language common to such government exchanges, for example, the Pentagon said that it "nonconcurs" with the conclusion that a new strategy for stabilizing Iraq was needed.

The unclassified version of the American plan, laid out by President Bush in January 2007 in what he called "The New Way Forward in Iraq," is still the proper guideline, according to the Pentagon, whose response was written by Christopher C. Straub, acting deputy assistant secretary of defense for the Middle East.

"The New Way Forward strategy remains valid," Mr. Straub wrote. "We recognize, as with all strategies, updates and refinements occur at various intervals to take into account changes in the strategic environment."

But the president set out that plan as something that would take 12 to 18 months and would include achievements like enacting a law to regulate Iraq's oil industry and handing all of Iraq's provinces over to Iraqi control, the report says. As of this week, only 9 of 18 provinces had been handed over, according to the report, and the crucial oil law remains to be enacted.

In other cases, what appeared to be promising political developments have faltered. Although the Iraqi Parliament enacted a law reforming the heavy-handed purge from government of former members of the Baath Party, no members have yet been named to the commission created to carry out the law.

Still more important, the report asserts, the administration's plan is not a strategy at all, but more a series of operational prescriptions scattered among various documents reviewed by the accountability office.

"A strategic plan should be a plan that takes you not only through the short term," said Joseph A. Christoff, director of international affairs and trade at the accountability office.

"If the New Way Forward only takes you through July 2008, then you don't have any guidance for achieving an Iraq that can do everything on its own," including dealing with the threat of terrorism and defending its own borders, Mr. Christoff said.

Perhaps the most confounding element in the report is the sharp disagreement between the accountability office and the administration over the value of basic indicators of progress.

For example, in an analysis based on a classified study of Iraqi Army battalions, the office concludes that just 10 percent of them are capable of operating independently in counterinsurgency operations and that even then they rely on American support.

But the Pentagon, as stated in Mr. Straub's letter, maintains that 70 percent of Iraqi units are in the lead in counterinsurgency operations. The difference may be partly semantics: Are the Iraqi units in the lead, with Americans close at hand, or are they able to operate on their own? But the office essentially concludes that the Pentagon is claiming that units with far lower readiness grades are ready to lead than it did in the past.

Similarly, by looking at official figures, the office was unable to substantiate American claims that Iraq had spent and committed more than 60 percent of its reconstruction budget in 2007. Instead, the number was 28 percent, the report said.

To sum it all; you can't really believe anything being said or put out by the administration; pentagon, military as they have either out right lied or shaded the truth over the years so many times....they could be telling the truth or they may not be. Like the boy who cried who wolf.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2008 05:41 pm
revel wrote:
Government Study Criticizes Bush Administration's Measures of Progress in Iraq
Quote:

Beyond the declines in overall violence in Iraq, several crucial measures the Bush administration uses to demonstrate economic, political and security progress are either incorrect or far more mixed than the administration has acknowledged
Newly declassified data in the report on countrywide attacks in May shows that increases in violence during March and April that were touched off by an Iraqi government assault on militias in Basra have given way to a calmer period. Numbers of daily attacks have been comparable to those earlier in the year, representing about a 70 percent decline since June 2007, the data shows.

While those figures confirm the assessments by American military commanders that many of the security improvements that first became apparent last fall are still holding, a number of the figures that have been used to show broader progress in Iraq are either misleading or simply incorrect, the report says.

Clearly there are substantial changes in the security situation on the ground," said Nathan Freier, a retired Army officer who served in Iraq in 2005 and 2007 and is now a senior fellow in the international security program at the Center for Strategic and International Studies in Washington.

As long as the Iraq problem is not COMPLETELY solved, its screaching opponents will continue to preach their sermon that it will never be COMPLETELY solved.

Maybe these screaching opponents are right! Then again, maybe these screaching opponents are wrong. But don't forget that these same screaching opponents were preaching that violence in Iraq would never decrease.

Regardless, one thing is clear, not until the violence in Iraq is fully under control can the infra structure in Iraq be adequately restored.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2008 07:09 am
I don't see a plan or a way for the situation in Iraq to one of a lasting duration which is why I and others have said that the situation there will always be one where if we want things to remain the same as they are now; we will have to be making it happen. We simply can't afford to do it. It is taking away resources needed in other parts of the world namely in that area (afghanistan, Pakistan..) plus a constant drain on our resources at home. We can't keep it up forever.

(links at the site)

Improvements came about by methods which didn't address the main areas of the problems in Iraq but rather simply put a Band-Aid on them. I am of the opinion we should leave the problems left to the Iraqis to solve in the manner they see fit as ultimately only they can really make lasting solutions in their country. Peace can't come about by force and intimidation and definitely not bribery, not real peace and growth.

(from the report; which you must of thought legitimate since you bolded parts of it.)

Quote:
The relatively calm period rests mostly on the American troop increase, a shaky cease-fire declared by militias loyal to the Shiite cleric Moktada al-Sadr, and an American-led program to pay former insurgents to help keep the peace, the report says.

There are still problems which require us stay and deal with it if we want to maintain the relative drop in violence as your side seems to feel we must.

5 US Troops Killed; 90 Iraqis Wounded in Mosul; District Election for Sadr City Bombed:

(links throughout the site to verify facts)

Yet; we can't keep this up for ever and I don't see how what we are doing is going to make lasting changes will lead to us being able to leave in "success" which is what you guys unrealistically expect and argue for.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2008 09:27 am
Also, many on the right are ignoring what Petraeus said at the very beginning of taking over in Iraq; we had to win the military and political fronts to "win."

The political front is not even close to being "fixed." That's the reason why the tribes of Iraq are still at war. That cannot be "fixed" from the outside.

It's an internal problem.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2008 09:54 am
revel wrote:
I don't see a plan or a way for the situation in Iraq to one of a lasting duration which is why I and others have said that the situation there will always be one where if we want things to remain the same as they are now; we will have to be making it happen. We simply can't afford to do it. It is taking away resources needed in other parts of the world namely in that area (afghanistan, Pakistan..) plus a constant drain on our resources at home. We can't keep it up forever.

Revel, I think your concerns about our performance in Iraq are valid. But I don't think those concerns constitute valid reasons for leaving Iraq before the Iraq government asks us to leave. I do think our performance in Iraq, and more importantly the Iraq government's performance in Iraq, can be significantly improved if we specify a schedule for what the Iraq government must accomplish for us to be willing to continue to stay.

I think our unconditionally quiting Iraq will quickly result in a far greater consumption of our resources than we are now experiencing.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 03:08 pm
Another positive sign of progress in Iraq:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,372961,00.html
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 04:45 pm
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 07:02 pm
c. i. : your post is a " Another positive sign of progress " - will the world never learn ? afraid not Crying or Very sad
hbg
0 Replies