THE US, THE UN AND IRAQ, ELEVENTH THREAD

ican711nm

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 12:17 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:

okie wrote:
It will provide an immediate bump in lowering price pressure by the sheer fact that commodities future traders will consider the impact on future oil prices and supply.

Assertion. I think oil and commodities traders are well aware that it will take years, if not a decade, to even get the taps turned on up there, let alone begin pumping. It will provide very little if any short-term relief to gas prices and will add practically nothing to the world demand, which we aren't going to be able to keep up with no matter what.
Cycloptichorn

Yes, it will take years to make America no longer dependent on foreign oil. I infer from your reasoning that you think that if our foreign oil independence cannot be achieved immediately or at least within a short term we ought not ever begin the effort to achieve that independence.

That thinking is self evidently stupid if not silly.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 12:21 pm
ican711nm wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

okie wrote:
It will provide an immediate bump in lowering price pressure by the sheer fact that commodities future traders will consider the impact on future oil prices and supply.

Assertion. I think oil and commodities traders are well aware that it will take years, if not a decade, to even get the taps turned on up there, let alone begin pumping. It will provide very little if any short-term relief to gas prices and will add practically nothing to the world demand, which we aren't going to be able to keep up with no matter what.
Cycloptichorn

Yes, it will take years to make America no longer dependent on foreign oil. I infer from your reasoning that you think that if our foreign oil independence cannot be achieved immediately or at least within a short term we ought not ever begin the effort to achieve that independence.

Oh, I think energy independence should be a top priority for America; but not through the pumping or burning of more fossil fuels, which is a stupid way to go in the future. As drilling in ANWR or off-shore will not help our energy independence for a long time to come - and is not a long-term solution at all - it is a short-sighted suggestion at best.

A combination of solar, wind, and nuclear power is much, much better. It not only helps create far more new jobs then oil, it is far less pollutive and problematic from an environmental standpoint.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 12:23 pm
Quote:
The cost of the next barrelAt the same time, oil companies - both state-owned and the multinationals - are forced to develop increasingly more complex and technically challenging projects in the absence of the "low hanging fruit" of easily accessible new conventional oil fields. As they take on such major construction projects, the oil companies are operating in a booming international infrastructure market, where engineering, labour and materials are in short supply and costs are rising dramatically.

As a result, projects that would be adding supply to the market are facing bottlenecks and cost overruns

The IEA reports that OPEC's effective surplus capacity will hit two million barrels a day later this year, and could drop to as low as one million barrels by 2012. That's a dangerously low margin in an industry that faces frequent disruptions, ranging in the past from hurricanes in the Gulf of Mexico, to pipeline ruptures in Alaska, to strikes in Nigeria. A constant source of concern is the ever-present fear of geopolitical strife in the oil-rich Persian Gulf region.

So far this decade, OPEC's spare capacity has been closer to three million barrels a day, and averaged between 3.5 million and four million in the 1990s.

At the same time, non-OPEC sources of new supply have become increasingly costly to produce. In the Canadian oil sands, and Venezuela's extra-heavy oil belt, the break-even point for new oil supplies is approaching $65 a barrel.

Average finding and development costs for international oil companies have more than tripled since the beginning of the decade - from $6.08 a barrel to $19.09, according to a survey by PFC Energy, a Washington, D.C.-based consultancy.

"Oil companies are paying a lot more for service, across the board," PFC analyst David Kirsch said. "At the same time, you're seeing a tremendous backlog in the service company workloads. So even if you have the money for a new project to come on line, you have to wait."

The rising costs and production challenges are among the factors driving prices, Mr. Kirsch said, as speculators bet that markets will remain tight and that tomorrow's barrel of oil will cost more to produce than yesterday's did.

"It certainly is a significant element of what's driving prices," he said. "It's just much harder to produce this stuff and there is a recognition now that your marginal barrel - which is coming from places like the [Alberta] tar sands - is around $65 a barrel."

While prices have climbed well beyond levels that justify new investment, oil companies have been slow to respond.

In part, that's because OPEC's state-owned oil companies control a growing share of the market and are less interested in making multibillion-dollar investments that will drive down prices. In part, it's because international oil companies endured market crashes in both the 1980s and the 1990s and have been wary about whether the sharp price increases of the past three years will endure.

And in part, it's because the prospects simply are not as attractive as they once were. British-based BP PLC this month agreed to spend $1.2-billion (Canadian) to develop three parcels in the Beaufort Sea, where one well can cost more than $60-million, where ice conditions are hazardous and rapidly changing, and where there are no pipelines to move to market any oil or natural gas that it might find.

"People are looking at the oil companies and they're looking at huge profits and are forgetting the amount of investment the oil companies now need to do if they are going to be able to meet the world's energy demand," said Candida Scott, senior director for cost and technology at Cambridge Energy Research Associates.

source :
THE COST OF THE NEXT BARREL

second part of this article (didn't post , so as not to take up more space) :FARTHER , DEEPER , COLDER
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 01:05 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
ican711nm wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

okie wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Oh, I think energy independence should be a top priority for America; but not through the pumping or burning of more fossil fuels, which is a stupid way to go in the future. As drilling in ANWR or off-shore will not help our energy independence for a long time to come - and is not a long-term solution at all - it is a short-sighted suggestion at best.

A combination of solar, wind, and nuclear power is much, much better. It not only helps create far more new jobs then oil, it is far less pollutive and problematic from an environmental standpoint.

Cycloptichorn

Solar, wind, and nuclear power are not short term solutions. Each of them will require far more development time than will drilling for oil--say in ANWAR--and piping the results in existing pipelines to new refineries in the US's 48 states. However, I also support the developments you prefer even though they will take far longer to provide enough energy to supplement any future oil shortages .
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 01:07 pm
I don't believe there IS a short-term solution to our energy needs. That's why calling for drilling for more oil at this time is idiotic; it won't help in the short-run and in the long run it can be replaced with cleaner technologies.

Not to mention the fact that drilling in ANWR, say, will take at least a decade to come online; offshore is roughly the same; the 'tar sands' that people go on about would take about two decades and be incredibly destructive to the environment.

The concept that there is an easy solution to this problem through drilling more oil is simply false.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 01:12 pm
In the mean time, oil prices will increase to over $200/barrel, and most living on this planet can't afford the $10/gallon gas. Demand will drop in the US, because most families are already struggling to make ends meet; many are not only losing their homes, but also their cars while choosing between food or fuel.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 01:15 pm
Refining oil doesn't come for free.

An interesting article in this morning's newspaper; credit card companies are charging gas station owners more to process credit card charges even though it doesn't cost any more to process each transaction - whether the charge is for $10.00 or $10,000.00.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 02:45 pm
the question is still :

how much are we willing to pay for a gallon/liter of gasoline at the pump ?

once the oil companies know , they'll probably respond .

btw should there be different prices for gasoline , similar to wholesale prices for electricity ?
one price - likely the higher one - for the "ordinary" user and another for industrial wholesale users ?
hbg
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 03:01 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
How many windmills, solar panels, and nuclear plants will it take to run all the trains, planes, ships, trucks, and cars in the U.S., cyclops, and how much will this cost the average consumer if this is all done within the next 25 years?

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Cyclops, you truly do live in LaLa land.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 03:02 pm
hamburger wrote:
the question is still :

how much are we willing to pay for a gallon/liter of gasoline at the pump ?

hbg

No more than we have to, hamburger.

Only as much as the market will bear is the short answer, and nobody knows that right now, in regard to 5 years out, 10 years out, etc.

The answer to your question should be self evident.

I recommend alot of folks here read Thomas Soule's book on Basic Economics, and alot of this would be a bit more clear in your mind.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 03:10 pm
okie wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
How many windmills, solar panels, and nuclear plants will it take to run all the trains, planes, ships, trucks, and cars in the U.S., cyclops, and how much will this cost the average consumer if this is all done within the next 25 years?

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Cyclops, you truly do live in LaLa land.

I don't forsee a point in which aircraft are ran off of anything but jet fuel happening any time quickly. Our battery technology isn't there yet.

Trains for the most part run on hybrid diesel/electric engines already, so there can be small increases there but not too much.

Trucks and cars will be electric or fuel-cell driven faster then you think. It's cost-effective as the price of gas goes up, which it will continue to do no matter what happens.

Of course it is going to be an expensive and difficult time, Okie. There is no way around that. But we can spend that expensive and difficult time preparing for the future, or simply just redoing the things that caused the difficulty. Continuing a reliance on oil for our energy needs is foolish in the extreme.

Solar technology and Nuclear can be brought online relatively quickly to power much of our country's fixed needs.... it's scalable and in the case of solar can be a great resource for non-centralized homeowners.

Ya got no vision, Okie, that's your problem... can't imagine doing things a different way then they are done today.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 03:15 pm
I agree we need to develop nuclear, solar, and wind, but the facts show that we cannot get to Point B that you speak of from where we are now anytime soon. I have seen no intelligent expert ever predict it is possible or feasible anytime soon, cyclops.

I prefer to deal with realities of the energy mix, not some pie in the sky desire that you may have in your mind, but is simply a dream. We need a vision, but it needs to be realistic, and you are not.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 03:22 pm
okie wrote:
I agree we need to develop nuclear, solar, and wind, but the facts show that we cannot get to Point B that you speak of from where we are now anytime soon. I have seen no intelligent expert ever predict it is possible or feasible anytime soon, cyclops.

I prefer to deal with realities of the energy mix, not some pie in the sky desire that you may have in your mind, but is simply a dream.

The experts all say 'we can't replace oil with renewable technologies any time soon.' And they are correct; we will need oil or some form of portable hydrocarbons to keep our country going for some time yet.

But it's untrue that the 'experts' say we can't begin the process of transitioning to the other one. We most certainly can begin that process. If it takes decades, so be it; the end result is still infinitely preferable to the current situation.

Can you find an expert - not a Republican pundit or politician - who claims that increasing drilling will lower the price of oil any time soon? I can't seem to find any who are predicting that at this time. In fact, mostly the opposite.

Check this out -

http://earth2tech.com/2008/06/18/nanosolar-prints-thin-film-solar-at-100-feet-per-minute/

This is the first of many such plants that will be opening up, and the technology really is in its' infancy. It will only become more efficient, easier to produce, faster to produce, and cheaper, as time goes along. The point where solar will become a viable and realistic way to power one's life - with exceptions that fade over time - is not very far away at all.

Look at the 'personal computer' revolution. 25 years ago, they were relatively rare and almost nobody owned one. Now, they are as ubiquitous as to be expected to be in every home. If we can spend the same amount of resources and public interest in building up renewable energy, we can see the same sorts of results in the same time frame.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 04:00 pm
I would add that, even if we open up 'offshore drilling' on our coasts, we don't have the resources to even tap those wells at this time.

Quote:
In recent years, this global shortage of drill-ships has created a critical bottleneck, frustrating energy company executives and constraining their ability to exploit known reserves or find new ones. Slow growth in oil supplies, at a time of soaring demand, has been a major factor in the spike of oil and gasoline prices.

Mr. Bush called on Congress Wednesday to end a longstanding federal ban on offshore drilling and open the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge for oil exploration, arguing that the steps were needed to lower gasoline prices and bolster national security. But even as oil trades at more than $135 a barrel -- up from $68 a year ago -- the world's existing drill-ships are booked solid for the next five years. Some oil companies have been forced to postpone exploration while waiting for a drilling rig, executives and analysts said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/19/business/19drillship.html?ref=science

It's little details like this that really eviscerate the position that McCain and Bush are currently taking.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 04:17 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
And they are correct; we will need oil or some form of portable hydrocarbons to keep our country going for some time yet.
Cycloptichorn

Like maybe a hundred years or more.

Earth to Cyclops?
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 04:19 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I would add that, even if we open up 'offshore drilling' on our coasts, we don't have the resources to even tap those wells at this time.

Quote:
In recent years, this global shortage of drill-ships has created a critical bottleneck, frustrating energy company executives and constraining their ability to exploit known reserves or find new ones. Slow growth in oil supplies, at a time of soaring demand, has been a major factor in the spike of oil and gasoline prices.

Mr. Bush called on Congress Wednesday to end a longstanding federal ban on offshore drilling and open the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge for oil exploration, arguing that the steps were needed to lower gasoline prices and bolster national security. But even as oil trades at more than $135 a barrel -- up from $68 a year ago -- the world's existing drill-ships are booked solid for the next five years. Some oil companies have been forced to postpone exploration while waiting for a drilling rig, executives and analysts said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/19/business/19drillship.html?ref=science

It's little details like this that really eviscerate the position that McCain and Bush are currently taking.

Cycloptichorn

You are going to convert all the vehicles to solar, wind, and nuclear in short order, but we can't build a few more drillships, cyclops?
Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 04:29 pm
okie wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
And they are correct; we will need oil or some form of portable hydrocarbons to keep our country going for some time yet.
Cycloptichorn

Like maybe a hundred years or more.

Earth to Cyclops?

Yes, Okie, for christ's sake I've already said that we can't just abandon oil completely, how many times do I have to repeat myself to you?

Quote:

You are going to convert all the vehicles to solar, wind, and nuclear in short order, but we can't build a few more drillships, cyclops?

Guess not, because they aren't being built and nobody is proposing to do so.

You will note that I never claimed that we were going to 'convert all the vehicles to solar, wind, and nuclear in short order.' This is an invention you have made. We can convert a lot of our vehicles to run off of electric energy within a few decades, yes; but there will always be a need for oil and gasoline.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 05:30 pm
]http://thinkprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/map_of_iraq1.jpg

Quote:

The no-bid contracts are unusual for the industry
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 07:24 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:

The concept that there is an easy solution to this problem through drilling more oil is simply false.

Cycloptichorn

The concept that there is an easier solution to this problem than through drilling more oil is simply false.

All the proposed solutions for solving America's energy problem are difficult. However, drilling for more oil while difficult is the least difficult. Had we started back in 1998, it would have been an easy solution by now. If we wait 10 more years, before we start drilling, it will be even more difficult than it is now.

So let's ignore the stupid antidrill malarkey and start drilling now.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 08:05 pm
Untrue. Drilling for more oil is guaranteed to put us in the exact same problem as we have right now, once the level of demand rises to meet the new supply. Only by transitioning to more sustainable sources do we guarantee a future in which we won't run out of energy.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies