THE US, THE UN AND IRAQ, ELEVENTH THREAD

ican711nm

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 04:55 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
ican seems to think all mass murders resides in Iraq; [size=7]he just doesn't understand world history - past or present.[/size]

FALSE!

CLUE #1: Five percent of the world population, the US, is not capable to have a war with all the criminal elements of this world.

TRUE! WE REQUIRE LIKEMINDED ALLIES

CLUE #2: [size=7]Our war in Iraq has lasted longer than WWII for a misguided goal that Bush and his minions never understood.[/size] The reason we continue to have criminals in the US should teach the simplist of minds that crime exists not only in the US, but most parts of this planet. It's a human thing, and a small country like the US cannot be the world's police.

TRUE! "IT'S A HUMAN THING ... THE US CANNOT [ALONE] BE THE WORLD'S POLICE."
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 05:03 pm
ican711nm wrote:
Among other things, Bush believed that al-Qaeda had found sanctuary in Iraq before the US invaded Iraq, just as Bush believed al-Qaeda had found sanctuary in Afghanistan before the US invaded Afghanistan.

Unlike some other of Bush's particular beliefs, these particular Bush beliefs turned out to be true.

not
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 06:03 pm
ican wrote :

Quote:
cicerone imposter wrote:

ican seems to think all mass murders resides in Iraq; he just doesn't understand world history - past or present.

FALSE!

CLUE #1: Five percent of the world population, the US, is not capable to have a war with all the criminal elements of this world.

TRUE! WE REQUIRE LIKEMINDED ALLIES

CLUE #2: Our war in Iraq has lasted longer than WWII for a misguided goal that Bush and his minions never understood. The reason we continue to have criminals in the US should teach the simplist of minds that crime exists not only in the US, but most parts of this planet. It's a human thing, and a small country like the US cannot be the world's police.

TRUE! "IT'S A HUMAN THING ... THE US CANNOT [ALONE] BE THE WORLD'S POLICE."

when many influential nations of asia - such as : japan , india , indonesia , singapore ... ...) - decided NOT to become involved in the wars in afghanistan and iraq , might it be time for the U.S. and other western nations to question the wisdom of getting involved in wars in those countries ?

perhaps these asian countries have a better understanding of the mindset of the people in afghanistan and iraq ?

as we discussed some years ago , the western nations cannot expect the nations of asia and the midle-east to live by the rules of the western nations .
that may have worked 200 , 100 and even 50 years ago . many of the people of the middle-east and asia have become educated - often at western universities - and have taken what they learned back home with them .
BUT they usually do not incorporate what they learned in the west directly into their lives . they have usually modified what they have learned into their traditional way of life .

listening to influential and learned saudis shows that they are good business people , they use modern technical equipment , they have modern hospitals , in short everything that they feel comfortable with .

but they still are saudis : they are connected to their families and tribes first , like they always were .

why not try to use some of their knowledge and wisdom rather than pouring more and more money (and losing people's lifes everyday) into something that likely can not be solved on the battlefield ?

the people of the middle-east and asia are often people that try to arrive at compromises rather than seeing on side win and the other lose .

(i understand that japanese baseball teams have developed a unique system of playing the game . they do not humiliate the weaker/opposing team . the better team wants to be a graceful winner and give the other team a chance to look good - even when losing . it's not about the one-time win but about a game that will be repeated many times - being courteous to the loser is important . i understand it is important not to force the loser "to lose face" .)

perhaps it's worth a try - the present way of dealing with iraq and afhanistan don't seem to be very successful .
hbg
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 11:02 pm
The "war on terror" is an impossibility (and it was designed to be that way)

The "war in Iraq" is an invasion and occupation. The occupaton part has failed.

Still, most educated Iraqis who can, have taken themselves and their families out of Iraq. They are refugees. This misbegotten action has caused untold harm, which will last for centuries. Plenty disaffected youth there then, for the radicals to use. We have Bush to blame.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 11:12 pm
Birth defects caused by munitions used on Fallujah

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30200-1317448,00.html?f=rss

How many Americans could be recruited by "terrorists" if this happened in your country?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 08:39 am
McTag wrote:

How many Americans could be recruited by "terrorists" if this happened in your country?

Good point, McTag.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 10:09 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
McTag wrote:

Good point, McTag.

How many Iraqis and Afghanistanis were recruited by terrorists to mass murder non-murderers in Iraq and Afghanistan before any birth defects were caused in those countries by munitions used to murder terrorists (i.e., mass murderers of non-murderers)?

What do you think will happen if by the end of this year the US pulls out of Iraq and Afghanistan?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 10:20 am
ican wrote: What do you think will happen if by the end of this year the US pulls out of Iraq and Afghanistan?

Who's saying we should pull out by the end of this year?
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 10:51 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
ican wrote: What do you think will happen if by the end of this year the US pulls out of Iraq and Afghanistan?

I'll answer your question after you answer mine!
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 09:25 am
revel wrote:
ican711nm wrote:
Among other things, Bush believed that al-Qaeda had found sanctuary in Iraq before the US invaded Iraq, just as Bush believed al-Qaeda had found sanctuary in Afghanistan before the US invaded Afghanistan.

Unlike some other of Bush's particular beliefs, these particular Bush beliefs turned out to be true.

not

Among other things, a large majority of the US Congress believed that al-Qaeda had found sanctuary in Iraq before the US invaded Iraq, just as a large majority of the US Congress believed al-Qaeda had found sanctuary in Afghanistan before the US invaded Afghanistan.

Unlike some other of a large majority of Congress's particular beliefs, these particular beliefs turned out to be true.

In May 1996, fewer than 300 Al-Qaeda fled Sudan and found sanctuary back in Afghanistan. A year and a quarter later they had more than quadrupled in size. However, they were not at that point a threat to Americans back home in the US. They did not more than quadruple in size again and become a threat to Americans back home in the US until September 2001.

In December 2001, more than 300 Al-Qaeda fled Afghanistan and found sanctuary in Iraq. A year and a quarter later they had more than quadrupled in size. However, they were not at that point a threat to Americans back home in the US. If the US had not invaded Iraq in March 2003, they would not have more than quadrupled in size again and become a threat to Americans back home in the US until ... Question
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 09:35 am
cicerone imposter wrote:

Then change the year to 2009 and answer the question.
What do you think would happen?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 10:52 am
mysteryman wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:

Ask John or Barak.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 12:13 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:

Ask John or Barak.

What do you, Cicerone imposter, think will happen if by the end of this year the US pulls out of Iraq and Afghanistan?
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 12:38 pm
Probably more killing than now in both places and in the end probably both states will be Islamic States divided up between sects.

I think we should offer support the same as we do Israel and let them both have their countries back to do with what they will. Perhaps if we stopped meddling in ME affairs we wouldn't have to worry so much Al Qaeda other than just following threats and dealing with them on a one on one basis.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 01:25 pm
What I think will happen if we pull out by the end of this year is not worth the "paper" it's written on. It matters not one iota to anybody - including you; it's a waste of cyberspace However, FYI, it matters what McCain or Obama thinks about this issue, because they must answer to the American voters. I'm still not sure I want to vote either one into the white house.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 02:01 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
What I think will happen if we pull out by the end of this year is not worth the "paper" it's written on. It matters not one iota to anybody - including you; it's a waste of cyberspace However, FYI, it matters what McCain or Obama thinks about this issue, because they must answer to the American voters. I'm still not sure I want to vote either one into the white house.

Well then, is it proper for me to assume that your opinion about anything you think will happen is not worth the paper it is printed on?

As promised, I will now answer your question regarding who said we should leave Iraq and Afghanistan by the end of the year: I do not remember if anyone did or did not say that. Do you?

Whoops! I guess you think your answer to that question also would not be worth the paper it is written on.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 02:05 pm
revel wrote:
Probably more killing than now in both places and in the end probably both states will be Islamic States divided up between sects.

I think we should offer support the same as we do Israel and let them both have their countries back to do with what they will. Perhaps if we stopped meddling in ME affairs we wouldn't have to worry so much Al Qaeda other than just following threats and dealing with them on a one on one basis.

Thank you for answering my question of cicerone imposter. I think your answer is worth more than the paper (i.e., screen) it is written on. :wink:
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 02:31 pm
in the end , the U.S. and other western nations will have no choice but let the countries/governments of the middle east and asia settle their own disputes .

it may be more OR less bloody than with western intervention .

the western nations can offer non-military support to the emerging nations/governments .

when i think of all the people - on all sides - that have lost their lives and been maimed , i have grave doubts that war offers a solution to the problems in those regions .
i also wonder how much longer U.S. citizens are prepared to see their hard-earned money disappear into a sinkhole .

additionally , western nations seem to get weary with the war that drags on and on ... without any real solution appearing .
there have ben many pronouncements of "we are winning" by both military and political leaders over the years , but so far none have held true .

imo , all - or at least most - of the countries of the middle-east and asia have to sit down together and develop plans that will have their support AND THEY WILL HAVE TO CARRY THEM OUT (!) if there is to be any hope hope of "some kind" of peace - and it might not be the kind of peace the western nations envision at this time .

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

here is an interesting article on ENVISIONING . i have just skimmed over iit . it does seem to offer some suggestions of how to make long-term plans and reach consensus .
it looks like a labourious process , but probably better than shooting from the hip (WAR) .

ENVISIONING
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 02:36 pm
ican711nm wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:

Well then, is it proper for me to assume that your opinion about anything you think will happen is not worth the paper it is printed on?

As promised, I will now answer your question regarding who said we should leave Iraq and Afghanistan by the end of the year: I do not remember if anyone did or did not say that. Do you?

Whoops! I guess you think your answer to that question also would not be worth the paper it is written on.

What I say has more value to many on a2k than what you say; that's an obvious observation from many who ventures a response to your q's and unsupported statements.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 03:55 pm
hamburger wrote:
in the end , the U.S. and other western nations will have no choice but let the countries/governments of the middle east and asia settle their own disputes .

it may be more OR less bloody than with western intervention .

imo , all - or at least most - of the countries of the middle-east and asia have to sit down together and develop plans that will have their support AND THEY WILL HAVE TO CARRY THEM OUT (!) if there is to be any hope hope of "some kind" of peace - and it might not be the kind of peace the western nations envision at this time .

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

here is an interesting article on ENVISIONING . i have just skimmed over iit . it does seem to offer some suggestions of how to make long-term plans and reach consensus .
it looks like a labourious process , but probably better than shooting from the hip (WAR) .

ENVISIONING

Thank you. I read and am now pondering the ideas in the article on ENVISIONING.

At the moment, I am wondering what would happen if the West were to completely withdraw its military from the Middle East. Would the people of the Middle East eventually abandon their apostasy principle? That is, would they abandon their adherence to the principle that apostates--those who abandon or defect from their previous loyalty or allegiance to Islam--shall be murdered, and those who refuse to ever be loyal to or or hold allegiance to Islam are people who must eventually be subjugated by Islam?

If not, isn't it too unrealistic to expect peace to be achieved within the Middle East without it being completely conquered by at least one Middle East state that completely rejects the apostasy principle?
0 Replies