THE US, THE UN AND IRAQ, ELEVENTH THREAD

ican711nm

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 11:17 am
revel wrote:

Personally I don't understand how people dying means you care about them. Since we started this offensive with Sadrist; civilians have been getting killed and no one seems to care. It don't matter if they are getting because of the militias or by us (I think it has been both); the point is that civilians are caught in a cross fire yet again. I don't see how our staying there is doing anything but getting people killed for a point I have not understood from the beginning and has really mystified me since this offensive with Sadr started.

More accurately, you do not understand how risking the lives of our own voluntary military attempting to reduce the rate at which civilian and non-civilian non-murderers are murdered, demonstrates we care about civilian and non-civilian non-murderers. Shocked
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 02:23 pm
Right Ican even though I disagree with your wording, I do not understand who killing people to keep other people from killing people (which they were not doing prior) solves anything. This is merely about a power struggle between the shiites that the US has chosen to get in the middle of and people are dying because of it. None of the explanations are plausible, both sides of the shiites in the conflict have connections to Iran and militias. And neither have connections to AQ. So no I do not understand it and don't understand how it benifits either Iraqis or our interest in the long run.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 02:45 pm
revel wrote:
Right Ican even though I disagree with your wording, I do not understand who killing people to keep other people from killing people (which they were not doing prior) solves anything. ...

Sunni in power under Saddam were mass murdering Shiite non-murderers prior to our invasion of Iraq.

We are murdering mass murderers to reduce the number of non-murderers those mass murderers would otherwise murder. That solves only one problem: the problem of mass murderers murdering more non-murderers if we did nothing. However, stopping the mass murder of non-murderers by mass murderers is the principal problem to be solved.

Is there a better way to stop mass murderers from mass murdering non-murders, than murdering mass murderers? If there is, please tell me about it.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 02:54 pm
huh?
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 03:42 pm
realjohnboy wrote:
huh?

Try this!

I define murder to be intentional killing.

Let:
C = non-murderers
MMOC = mass murderers of C;
MMOMMOC = mass murderers of MMOC

We are MMOMMOC attempting to reduce the number of MMOC in order to reduce the number of C murdered by the MMOC.

That can solve only one problem: the problem of reducing the future number of C murdered by MMOC.

However, stopping the MMOC from murdering C is the principal problem to be solved.

Is there a better way to stop MMOC, than murdering all MMOC?

If you think there is, please tell me about it.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 03:57 pm
Ever heard this:
I saw Issau saw with a saw that can outsaw any saw you ever saw saw.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 04:44 pm
Sounds like double-talk to me! LOL
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 06:28 am
ican711nm wrote:
revel wrote:
Right Ican even though I disagree with your wording, I do not understand who killing people to keep other people from killing people (which they were not doing prior) solves anything. ...

Sunni in power under Saddam were mass murdering Shiite non-murderers prior to our invasion of Iraq.

We are murdering mass murderers to reduce the number of non-murderers those mass murderers would otherwise murder. That solves only one problem: the problem of mass murderers murdering more non-murderers if we did nothing. However, stopping the mass murder of non-murderers by mass murderers is the principal problem to be solved.

Is there a better way to stop mass murderers from mass murdering non-murders, than murdering mass murderers? If there is, please tell me about it.

Like McCain you can't tell the differences between Sunni and Shiittes.

Mass murderers this week will be allies next week and in the meantime Iraqi civilians keep getting killed either by us (US) or by various Iraqis fighting a power struggle within Iraq. So again; I don't see how killing people is any better than other people killing the same people, they are getting killed either way.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 11:45 am
I define murder to be intentional killing, regardless of whoever does the intentional killing and regardless of whomever they intentionally kill.

Let:
C = non-murderers;
M = mass murderers of C;
S = mass murderers of M.

We are S attempting to reduce the number of M in order to reduce the number of C murdered by M.

That can solve only one problem: the problem of reducing the future number of C murdered by M.

However, stopping M from murdering C is the principal problem to be solved.

Is there a better way to stop M from murdering C, than murdering all M?

If you think there is, please tell me about it.[/quote]
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 11:56 am
revel wrote:

ican711nm wrote:

Mass murderers this week will be allies next week and in the meantime Iraqi civilians keep getting killed either by us (US) or by various Iraqis fighting a power struggle within Iraq. So again; I don't see how killing people is any better than other people killing the same people, they are getting killed either way.

C = non-murderers;
M = mass murderers of C;
S = mass murderers of M.

S murdering M will reduce the number of C murdered now and in future.

Is there a better way to stop M from murdering C, than S murdering all M?

0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 12:03 pm
ican711nm wrote:
revel wrote:

ican711nm wrote:

C = non-murderers;
M = mass murderers of C;
S = mass murderers of M.

Yea; the better way is just to let them solve their political problems by themselves and we get out from the middle of it all and start concentrating on other neglected issues.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 12:50 pm
revel wrote:
ican711nm wrote:
revel wrote:

ican711nm wrote:

C = non-murderers;
M = mass murderers of C;
S = mass murderers of M.

Yea; the better way is just to let them solve their political problems by themselves and we get out from the middle of it all and start concentrating on other neglected issues.

Why do you believe that is a better way?
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 01:20 pm
Because we need to start concentrating on other issues. Report and testimonies have said we are stretched too thin and our readiness to respond to other areas is not as well as it could be if we were not using a majority our resources and military in Iraq. This shiite vs. shiite problem is an internal problem and not our problem and needs to be solved by Iraqis working it out between themselves rather than us droping bombs and killing more innocent Iraqis.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 02:58 pm
revel wrote:
Because we need to start concentrating on other issues. Report and testimonies have said we are stretched too thin and our readiness to respond to other areas is not as well as it could be if we were not using a majority our resources and military in Iraq. This shiite vs. shiite problem is an internal problem and not our problem and needs to be solved by Iraqis working it out between themselves rather than us droping bombs and killing more innocent Iraqis.

Revel, thank you for answering my questions.

I guess you think the Sunni versus Shiite problem is pretty well solved, and the remaining Shiite versus Shitte problem is best solved by the Shiites.

Maybe you're right. But I'll withhold my judgment on this for a few more days.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 03:42 pm
Heres an interesting article in todays news...

Quote:
BAGHDAD(AP) The leader of al-Qaida in Iraq, Abu Ayyub al-Masri, was arrested in the northern city of Mosul, the Iraqi Defense Ministry spokesman said Thursday. Mohammed al-Askari said the arrest of al-Masri, also known as Abu Hamza al-Muhajir, was confirmed to him by the Iraqi commander of the province. There was no immediate confirmation or comment from U.S. forces.

That is good news for Iraq.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 06:43 am
ican711nm wrote:
revel wrote:

I guess you think the Sunni versus Shiite problem is pretty well solved, and the remaining Shiite versus Shitte problem is best solved by the Shiites.

I am so pleasantly surprised by this post from you, Ican, thanks, it was refreshing to read.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 06:50 am
mysteryman wrote:
Heres an interesting article in todays news...

Quote:
BAGHDAD(AP) The leader of al-Qaida in Iraq, Abu Ayyub al-Masri, was arrested in the northern city of Mosul, the Iraqi Defense Ministry spokesman said Thursday. Mohammed al-Askari said the arrest of al-Masri, also known as Abu Hamza al-Muhajir, was confirmed to him by the Iraqi commander of the province. There was no immediate confirmation or comment from U.S. forces.

That is good news for Iraq.

It was a case of mistaken identity.

US military denies Iraq report of al-Qaida arrest

But it is good that Iraqi forces are cooperating in trying to arrest or detain AQI. It is a sign that Iraqis do not want ties or influence with AQ in Iraq.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sun 11 May, 2008 06:23 am
Iraq, Sadrists strike deal to end Baghdad fighting

Quote:

Now this is good news if it holds up.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 13 May, 2008 05:55 am
When the shiites fights sunnis, the shiites fights shiites, and sunnis fights sunnis, any outside involvement only complicates all the issues.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Tue 13 May, 2008 05:00 pm
revel wrote:
ican711nm wrote:
revel wrote:

I am so pleasantly surprised by this post from you, Ican, thanks, it was refreshing to read.

Revel, after thinking about this for several days, I've come to the following conclusions:

IF the Sunni versus Shiite problem is infact pretty well solved,
THEN I agree that the Shiite versus Shitte problem is best solved by the Shiites witht our military removed from Iraq.

My test for the Sunni versus Shiite problem to infact be pretty well solved is:
The daily rate of violent deaths in Iraq, excluding those caused by Shiites murdering Shiites, decreases below 30, remains less than 30, while we are removing our troops, and remains less than 30 for at least a year after we have completed our departure.
0 Replies