THE US, THE UN AND IRAQ, ELEVENTH THREAD

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 12:48 pm
I'm not making any such point at all. I am making a point that prisoners do and have lied about their treatment in prison. As long as there are bleeding hearts out there, they can generate a great deal of sympathy and sometimes win lucrative judgments by doing that.

Women have been raped too, and most often tell the truth about that, but it does not logically follow that every woman who cries rape has been raped. A good case in point is the woman who accused the Duke LaCrosse team. So history and possibility or even probability is still not sufficient to make a judgment.

The fact that one dislikes the government and/or WANTS to believe the prisoner does not dismiss the need to hear both sides of a story before drawing a conclusion.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 12:50 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
I'm not making any such point at all. I am making a point that prisoners do and have lied about their treatment in prison. As long as there are bleeding hearts out there, they can generate a great deal of sympathy and sometimes win lucrative judgments by doing that.

Women have been raped too, and most often tell the truth about that, but it does not logically follow that every woman who cries rape has been raped. A good case in point is the woman who accused the Duke LaCrosse team. So history and possibility or even probability is still not sufficient to make a judgment.

You understand that the chances of the US gov't actually admitting that they authorized beatings and torture of this or any prisoner are close to zero. So what you envision is a situation in which there NEVER will be enough information to make a judgment. Right?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 12:54 pm
I hear what you're saying, but ideology and negative attitudes about the government is still not sufficient justification for drawing a conclusion about the treatment of a prisoner. It is just as likely that a prisoner will have as much or more reason to lie about things as anybody else.

Remember that NOW and other women's advocacy groups were adament that women don't lie about sexual abuse and assault? If a woman claimed it, then by golly the guy did it. Until Paula Jones. And inexplicably Paula was trailer trash, uncredible, obviously lying.

Ideology does funny things to one's perception. It should not be used in lieu of reasonable means to achieve the truth before a judgment is declared, however.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 01:00 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
I hear what you're saying, but ideology and negative attitudes about the government is still not sufficient justification for drawing a conclusion about the treatment of a prisoner. It is just as likely that a prisoner will have as much or more reason to lie about things as anybody else.

Remember that NOW and other women's advocacy groups were adament that women don't lie about sexual abuse and assault? If a woman claimed it, then by golly the guy did it. Until Paula Jones. And inexplicably Paula was trailer trash, uncredible, obviously lying.

Ideology does funny things to one's perception. It should not be used in lieu of reasonable means to achieve the truth before a judgment is declared, however.

As I said above, Cui Bono? I don't see what profit this guy gets from telling lies about his years of illegal detention. He won't get any money from the US for it, or any real fame. What does he get? I heard you say 'pity' above, but it seems like a long way to go for something so intangible.

On the other hand, the gov't is full of people who will either A) lose their jobs, or B) be tried for torture, if they told the truth about his situation. They have EVERY REASON to lie about it, because there is likely no penalty for them to do so, and huge penalties for them not to do so.

I don't think this is comparable to a rape case. It's not a question of he said-she said; it is quite clear that he was captured and illegally held for years. The fact that you don't wish to believe his stories about how he was 'interrogated' during that time doesn't change the underlying narrative, that we have imprisoned many people without a trial, for years, for specious reasons.

I'd like to see you admit that YOUR ideology is the prime motivator behind your refusal to consider that he could be telling the truth. I asked you above, and you didn't answer: if he isn't lying, do you condemn the actions taken against him, and those who ordered and carried out those actions?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 01:04 pm
If you can show where I said anything about what I want to believe or any proof that my ideology alters my opinion about anything I said, go for it.

(Muttering that liberals simply cannot argue a point of view without ad hominem.......why is that?)
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 01:10 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
If you can show where I said anything about what I want to believe or any proof that my ideology alters my opinion about anything I said, go for it.

(Muttering that liberals simply cannot argue a point of view without ad hominem.......why is that?)

The funny thing is, you accused me of exactly the same thing just a few posts above.

Your ideology does not allow you to answer simple questions, such as: was what was done to this man, wrong? I'd like to see you even attempt to answer.

From the piece in question:

Quote:

But far worse than the false charges was the secret government file that Azmy uncovered.

Six months after Kurnaz reached Guantanamo, U.S. military intelligence had written, "criminal investigation task force has no definite link [or] evidence of detainee having an association with al Qaeda or making any specific threat toward the U.S."

At the same time, German intelligence agents wrote their government, saying, "USA considers Murat Kurnaz's innocence to be proven. He is to be released in approximately six to eight weeks."

But Azmy says Kurnaz was kept at Guantanamo Bay for three and a half years after this memo was written in 2002.

They kept him, Kurnaz says, by inventing new charges. In a makeshift courthouse, Kurnaz claims that a military judge charged that Kurnaz had been picked up near Osama bin Laden's hideout in Afghanistan while fighting for the Taliban. Ironic, since it was the U.S. that flew him to Afghanistan to begin with.

"Have you ever in your legal career run across anything like this?" Pelley asks Baher Azmy.

"In my legal career, no," Azmy says. "But in Guantanamo, no detainee has ever been able to genuinely present evidence before a neutral judge. And so as absurd as Murat Kurnaz's case is, I assure you there are many, many dozens just as tenuous."

And a U.S. federal judge agreed. She ruled the Guantanamo military tribunals violated the prisoners' right to a defense, and she singled out Kurnaz's case as an example.

What happened to him - without even requiring you to believe that he is telling the truth about his abuses at US hands - was both illegal and immoral. Would you disagree?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 01:26 pm
Perhaps his book deal is a reason for him to exagerrate or lie about his mistreatment?

Now, throughout all this, I have not condoned any mistreatment to any prisoner, neither have I supported it. It is what it is. None of us will know the truth behind what really happened in Gitmo.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 01:28 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Perhaps his book deal is a reason for him to exagerrate or lie about his mistreatment?

Now, throughout all this, I have not condoned any mistreatment to any prisoner, neither have I supported it. It is what it is. None of us will know the truth behind what really happened in Gitmo.

Be honest: you don't really have any desire to find out that truth, do you?

The fog of the situation is perfectly fine with ya; b/c it keeps there from ever being any real repercussions for our actions. Right?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 01:29 pm
McGentrix wrote:
BillW wrote:
Quote:
Change anything? nope. It's just interesting that you only hear one side of a story and the government is "despicable". You certainly have no idea how Kurnaz acted while in prison, nor what actions of his lead to his mistreatment (not an excuse for it so save the response). Not a single prisoner in any prison is guilty if you only read their side of the story.

The most illogical piece of tripe I have ever seen. Confused This upholds Hilter as being an angel........he was made to do the things he did Rolling Eyes

Perhaps you had trouble reading it? Nothing logical about what I wrote at all.

I agree.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 01:35 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

The funny thing is, you accused me of exactly the same thing just a few posts above.

Your ideology does not allow you to answer simple questions, such as: was what was done to this man, wrong? I'd like to see you even attempt to answer.

Quote:

But far worse than the false charges was the secret government file that Azmy uncovered.

Six months after Kurnaz reached Guantanamo, U.S. military intelligence had written, "criminal investigation task force has no definite link [or] evidence of detainee having an association with al Qaeda or making any specific threat toward the U.S."

At the same time, German intelligence agents wrote their government, saying, "USA considers Murat Kurnaz's innocence to be proven. He is to be released in approximately six to eight weeks."

But Azmy says Kurnaz was kept at Guantanamo Bay for three and a half years after this memo was written in 2002.

They kept him, Kurnaz says, by inventing new charges. In a makeshift courthouse, Kurnaz claims that a military judge charged that Kurnaz had been picked up near Osama bin Laden's hideout in Afghanistan while fighting for the Taliban. Ironic, since it was the U.S. that flew him to Afghanistan to begin with.

"Have you ever in your legal career run across anything like this?" Pelley asks Baher Azmy.

"In my legal career, no," Azmy says. "But in Guantanamo, no detainee has ever been able to genuinely present evidence before a neutral judge. And so as absurd as Murat Kurnaz's case is, I assure you there are many, many dozens just as tenuous."

And a U.S. federal judge agreed. She ruled the Guantanamo military tribunals violated the prisoners' right to a defense, and she singled out Kurnaz's case as an example.

What happened to him - without even requiring you to believe that he is telling the truth about his abuses at US hands - was both illegal and immoral. Would you disagree?

Cycloptichorn

I believe it is immoral and wrong to cruelly or intentionally mistreat anybody. I also think it is immoral and wrong to cruelly or intentionally accuse somebody of mistreating somebody unjustly when you have no proof for your accusation other than you want to believe it.

That's my ideology.

What's yours?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 01:38 pm
mcg wrote :

Quote:
None of us will know the truth behind what really happened in Gitmo.

aren't the citizens of the united states entitled to know ?
surely , there would be no danger in letting the citizens know ?

Quote:
The truth will set you free, but first it will make you miserable.
James A. Garfield

perhaps that's too high a price to pay for the truth ?
hbg
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 01:38 pm
What's mine?| Abu GAraib, Gitmo, illegal wiretaps, Iraq War (established on false info), spending more on war than on American children and health care, and the American infrastructure like bridges, sshool buildings, roads, communication and transportation (mass transit).
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 01:44 pm
BillW wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
BillW wrote:
Quote:
Change anything? nope. It's just interesting that you only hear one side of a story and the government is "despicable". You certainly have no idea how Kurnaz acted while in prison, nor what actions of his lead to his mistreatment (not an excuse for it so save the response). Not a single prisoner in any prison is guilty if you only read their side of the story.

The most illogical piece of tripe I have ever seen. Confused This upholds Hilter as being an angel........he was made to do the things he did Rolling Eyes

Perhaps you had trouble reading it? Nothing illogical about what I wrote at all.

I agree.

Good, I am glad to see you correct yourself.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 02:00 pm
Hmmmmm, correctling you is all I strive to. I'll make an American of you yet.....
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 02:41 pm
how about making a hoiliday in Iraq during summer times?

I will be honoured if some of the ENGLISHBUSH people make an appointment with me to relax in IRAQ.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 10:34 pm
Interrogation methods approved by Bush. Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 07:19 am

Add to that

Quote:
The Justice Department sent a legal memorandum to the Pentagon in 2003 asserting that federal laws prohibiting assault, maiming and other crimes did not apply to military interrogators who questioned al-Qaeda captives because the president's ultimate authority as commander in chief overrode such statutes.

source
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 07:21 am
On the situation in what Iraq is now:

Read here
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 09:59 am
revel, It's just another one of those "I told you so" continuum's of this mess in Iraq. General Petraeus is gonna have to explain himself why he followed Bush's ill-advised "surge" to only prolong this illegal war that involved us in more tragedy for the Iraqi People. .
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 10:04 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

Quote:

Cycloptichorn

I believe it is immoral and wrong to cruelly or intentionally mistreat anybody. I also think it is immoral and wrong to cruelly or intentionally accuse somebody of mistreating somebody unjustly when you have no proof for your accusation other than you want to believe it.

That's my ideology.

What's yours?

Two things -

First, my position is that it is immoral and wrong to lock people up for years, with no trial, and keep them locked up when you KNOW that there's no reason for them to be there. That's what the US did to this guy. You don't have to believe anything else he says at all, and we've already committed a horrendous and inexcusable crime on him and his family.

Second, there IS some proof of my accusation that US soldiers have done these things - multiple accounts by those who have gone through them. Now, you seek to discount this proof as unreliable. And that's okay. But it's fallacious to suggest that there is no evidence whatsoever that these things happened. There is evidence.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies