THE US, THE UN AND IRAQ, ELEVENTH THREAD

hamburger

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2008 12:50 pm
mm wrote :

Quote:
Sadr must have been getting his ass kicked.
You dont ask for a cease-fire or order your troops to stop fighting when you are winning.

this isn't "convential warfare" were you lay down your arms when you've been beaten .
asking for a ceasefire doesn't cost sadr anything - he didn't agree to behave in a friendly or peaceful manner from now on .
those fighters seem to know when to pull in their horns , disappear into the neighbourhood or next village , only to re-appear when they see an opportunity to strike ... and so the cycle goes ... ...
since they don't need to wear uniforms or insignia , have no real command structure , they decide when to fight and when not to fight .

this doesn't seem to be much different from afghanistan . canadian soldiers from our local army units have been dispatched to afghanistan numerous times over the last few years .
they report about being fired upon from a village only to find that once they enter the village , they can't find or identify any "soldiers/insurgents" - they are all just village people and one looks much like the other .

as has been reported from those "on the ground" , unless NATO finds a way to bring those "insurgents/fighters" into some kind of negotiation/peace process - or whatever we want to call it - there seems to be little hope of bringing any kind of stability to those regions .
hbg
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2008 01:22 pm

I find these stories interesting. It's amazing that the "victims" of these cases have never done anything wrong. They have never spit on their captors, swore at them, fought them, etc... Pure models of innocence and charm I am sure.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2008 02:07 pm
McGentrix wrote:

I find these stories interesting. It's amazing that the "victims" of these cases have never done anything wrong. They have never spit on their captors, swore at them, fought them, etc... Pure models of innocence and charm I am sure.

Would it have changed anything, if they had swore at their captors, who were torturing them? Spit at them? In your mind, does that balance out the things that were done to them?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2008 02:32 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Would it have changed anything, if they had swore at their captors, who were torturing them? Spit at them? In your mind, does that balance out the things that were done to them?

Cycloptichorn

Change anything? nope. It's just interesting that you only hear one side of a story and the government is "despicable". You certainly have no idea how Kurnaz acted while in prison, nor what actions of his lead to his mistreatment (not an excuse for it so save the response). Not a single prisoner in any prison is guilty if you only read their side of the story.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2008 02:40 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Change anything? nope. It's just interesting that you only hear one side of a story and the government is "despicable". You certainly have no idea how Kurnaz acted while in prison, nor what actions of his lead to his mistreatment (not an excuse for it so save the response). Not a single prisoner in any prison is guilty if you only read their side of the story.

I think it's pretty fair to assume that, as he was picked up in Pakistan for no apparent reason (other then the fact that he was a 'suspicious foreigner'), stuck in prison for a few years, and beaten and tortured by the US while he was there, that his personal conduct while in that place is somewhat less then material to the overall point of the story. Wouldn't you agree?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2008 02:53 pm
Quote:

The most illogical piece of tripe I have ever seen. Confused This upholds Hilter as being an angel........he was made to do the things he did Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2008 03:07 pm
mcg wrote :

Quote:
You certainly have no idea how Kurnaz acted while in prison, nor what actions of his lead to his mistreatment (not an excuse for it so save the response).

i wonder why mcg is even posting it ? he is telling us "so save the response" - is he posting a message to himself ?
hbg
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 11:59 am
From WSJ:

Basra Battle Strengthens Sadr
Shiite Cleric Fights
Maliki to a Draw;
McCain's Dilemma
By YOCHI J. DREAZEN
April 1, 2008; Page A8

The Iraqi government's inability to oust Moqtada al-Sadr's militia from Basra has boosted the fortunes of the Shiite cleric while damaging the standing of Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki.

Mr. Sadr appears to be the one clear winner from the inconclusive fighting in the country's second-biggest city, which began to taper off Monday after the cleric urged his followers to observe a truce.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 12:18 pm
BillW wrote:
Quote:

The most illogical piece of tripe I have ever seen. Confused This upholds Hilter as being an angel........he was made to do the things he did Rolling Eyes

Perhaps you had trouble reading it? Nothing illogical about what I wrote at all.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 12:18 pm
hamburger wrote:
mcg wrote :

Quote:
You certainly have no idea how Kurnaz acted while in prison, nor what actions of his lead to his mistreatment (not an excuse for it so save the response).

i wonder why mcg is even posting it ? he is telling us "so save the response" - is he posting a message to himself ?
hbg

To save people like you from making posts like you did.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 12:27 pm
McGentrix wrote:
hamburger wrote:
mcg wrote :

Quote:

hbg

Not to mention that the last line of your comment summed up the thesis, the point being that those in prison for any reason generally do not praise their captors or compliment them on fair and humane treatment; nor do more than very few who go to prison for any reason say that they deserve to be there.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 12:31 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
hamburger wrote:
mcg wrote :

Quote:

hbg

Not to mention that the last line of your comment summed up the thesis, the point being that those in prison for any reason generally do not praise their captors nor compliment them on fair and humane treatment; nor do more than very few who go to prison for any reason say that they deserve to be there.

Most who go to prison aren't tortured, either. And they usually are arrested first and given a trial. That wasn't the experience of the person in question.

Both McG and you seek to discount his tale by implying that we've only heard 'one side of the story.' That's a ridiculous position. You expect the gov't to come out and say, 'yeah, we threw him in prison with no trial and beat and tortured him on a suspicion, but hey - he was a real dick once we had him in custody, I mean, complaining all day long, wow, you wouldn't believe it.' Never going to happen, and a foolish case for the two of you to make.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 12:33 pm
Has the government admitted beating and torturing him? If not, could it be possible that the 'abused' person could be embellishing his experience? I honestly don't know the truth of the matter, but until both sides have been heard, neither does anybody else.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 12:34 pm
What case am I making? What kind of strawman are you building here Cycloptichorn? Will you post a picture when it's completed?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 12:35 pm
McGentrix wrote:
What case am I making? What kind of strawman are you building here Cycloptichorn? Will you post a picture when it's completed?

What is the point of questioning his conduct while imprisoned - if not to sow the seeds of dissent as to the nature of his treatment there?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 12:37 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Has the government admitted beating and torturing him? If not, could it be possible that the 'abused' person could be embellishing his experience? I honestly don't know the truth of the matter, but until both sides have been heard, neither does anybody else.

That's a fair enough position to take. But it isn't the same as McG's earlier questioning of his attitude and actions during imprisonment. Which is what I responded to. Those are immaterial to the question of whether or not the US should be in the business of beating and torturing people that we've thrown in prison without a trial.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 12:38 pm
Well really McG, people don't lie you know. Obama really did spend 20 years in a church without ever listening to his pastor; Hillary had to run for her life in Bosnia, and Bill never inhaled, etc. etc. etc. It's only people in the present government who every tell a lie about anything.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 12:40 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Well really McG, people don't lie you know. Obama really did spend 20 years in a church without ever listening to his pastor; Hillary had to run for her life in Bosnia, and Bill never inhaled, etc. etc. etc. It's only people in the present government who every tell a lie about anything.

Sarcasm failure.

The question to ask, when investigating situations is this: Cui Bono?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 12:40 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

That's a fair enough position to take. But it isn't the same as McG's earlier questioning of his attitude and actions during imprisonment. Which is what I responded to. Those are immaterial to the question of whether or not the US should be in the business of beating and torturing people that we've thrown in prison without a trial.

Cycloptichorn

The point being that it is always best to hear both sides before making a judgment. People lie for advantage, for profit, for sympathy, to enhance their image, to get even, to hurt somebody they want to hurt, to avoid consequences of their choices and actions, etc. etc. etc. To automatically assume that a particular prisoner is telling the truth about anything just because you don't like those who have him in custody is based on ideology, not reason.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 12:45 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

Cycloptichorn

The point being that it is always best to hear both sides before making a judgment. People lie for advantage, for profit, for sympathy, to enhance their image, to avoid consequences of their choices and actions, etc. etc. etc. To automatically assume that a particular prisoner is telling the truth about anything just because you don't like those who have him in custody is based on ideology, not reason.

His account is consistent with many other accounts of treatment that people receive when illegally detained by the US military and intelligence services. It is hardly unique.

You take the position that those who have been held in US prisons for years, must be lying about their treatment there; and b/c the gov't will not EVER come forward with their account of what happened, well, we can never really know, right? This allows you to discount the situation without ever putting any real analysis into it; you don't want to believe that these sorts of things happen under US direction, so you use the foggy nature of the situation to deny the ability of these people to expose what has happened.

I think that someone who has been captured and tortured has a LOT less reason to lie, then those who would be responsible for doing that to him. Even if he wasn't beaten at all, his unlawful and immoral detainment is reason enough to be angry; and to the best of my knowledge, nobody is claiming that he was not, in fact, unlawfully and immorally detained for years.

What you describe is a system of thought which will allow the US gov't to do such things, in perpetuity, b/c hey - we can never really trust anyone who says anything bad about them, right? I mean, they COULD be lying. So we can discount all their tales. Right?

Let's assume for a second that he is not, in fact, lying about his abuses at the hands of US captors. Do you denounce those abuses?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies