Forsaken belife
Unfulfilled AMERICAN DREAM
misadventure
faulty step
barbaric commericial culture

mysteryman
the above words are from me
not against you but
against the unthinking half informed democracy exporters.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 04:40 pm
http://rawstory.com/news/2007/Antiwar_veterans_group_War_crimes_are_0121.html

Quote:
Anti-war veterans' group: War crimes are 'encouraged'
01/21/2008 @ 8:52 am
Filed by RAW STORY

At an event in Watertown, New York on Saturday, members of Iraq Veterans Against War charged that war crimes against civilians were encouraged by unit commanders.

"The killing of innocent civilians is policy," said veteran Mike Blake. "It's unit policy and it's Army policy. It's not official policy, but it's what's happens on the ground everyday. It's what unit commanders individually encourage."

Veteran Matt Howard concurred: "These decisions are coming from the top down," Howard said. "The tactics that we use, the policies that the military engages, will create situations, create dynamics, create -- ultimately -- atrocity."

Blake and Howard were among four veterans speaking at Watertown's Different Drummer Cafe, in a preliminary event to the 'Winter Soldier' gathering scheduled in Washington, D.C. in March. Named after the 1971 event in which John Kerry read testimony from soldiers on atrocities they had committed, this year's Winter Soldier will feature Iraq War veterans speaking about war crimes they committed or witnessed.

In Watertown, veteran Jon Turner blamed himself as well as the orders he was given. "It was my decision," Turner said. "I made it. Now I have to live with the fact I see someone's eyes screaming at me after I shot them."

Others have previously questioned US attacks that have killed civilians, though not as sharply.

In 2006, a Berlin attorney filed a war crimes lawsuit against erstwhile Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld on behalf of the Center for Constitutional Rights, the International Federation for Human Rights, the Republican Attorneys' Association and more than 40 other national and international human rights groups.

Germany's federal prosecutor announced in April of the following year that she would not take on the suit.

In related news,

'Collateral' deaths in Afghanistan surpassed Taliban killings in 2007

In July 2007, independent tallied show US and NATO troops were responsible for more civilian deaths in the first half of the year than the Taliban militants they were fighting.

The United Nations counted 314 civilian deaths at the hands of Western-led forces by the end of June of 2007, compared with 279 people killed by the Taliban and other militants.

The rate of Western-caused civilian deaths between January and June exceeded the same measure for all of 2006. Human Rights Watch found US and NATO troops killed 230 civilians in Afghanistan last year. In that same year, the group found at least 669 Afghan civilians were killed as a result of Taliban attacks.

Military leaders said the comparison is fundamentally unfair because civilian deaths caused by Western forces are inadvertent collateral damage whereas the Taliban militants deliberately target innocent people.

'Collateral Damage.' Supposedly it means that civilians are accidentally killed. Many soldiers claim that there's no accident involved at all.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 06:14 pm
I'm not surprised; this administration gets away with murder.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 07:16 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
I'm not surprised; this administration gets away with murder.

Those people attempting to stop murderers from murdering have a difficult job. To succeed in stopping murderers they must kill them. However, the would be stoppers cannot infallibly identify the murderers among non-murderers in their same vicinity. Nor can the would be stoppers infallibily kill even those they intend to kill.

Alternatively, the would be stoppers can stop trying to stop the murderers and watch the murderers kill far more for an unknowable time ... perhaps until all the non-murderers are murdered.

I suppose one would naturally favor the latter choice, if one cared more about oneself than about the other non-murderers, AND one were confident one, and those one loves, would not be victims of unstopped murderers.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 06:15 am
Having a difficult job is no excuse to lower the standards we are (US) are supposed to abide by. Laws and rules are made for when things get tough.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 06:23 am
Iraq's New Law on Ex-Baathists Could Bring Another Purge

Quote:
BAGHDAD -- Maj. Gen. Hussein al-Awadi, a former official in Saddam Hussein's Baath Party, became the commander of the Iraqi National Police despite a 2003 law barring the party from government.

But now, under new legislation promoted as way to return former Baathists to public life, the 56-year-old and thousands like him could be forced out of jobs they have been allowed to hold, according to Iraqi lawmakers and the government agency that oversees ex-Baathists.

"This new law is very confusing," Awadi said. "I don't really know what it means for me."

He is not alone. More than a dozen Iraqi lawmakers, U.S. officials and former Baathists here and in exile expressed concern in interviews that the law could set off a new purge of ex-Baathists, the opposite of U.S. hopes for the legislation.

Approved by parliament this month under pressure from U.S. officials, the law was heralded by President Bush and Iraqi leaders as a way to soothe the deep anger of many ex-Baathists -- primarily Sunnis but also many Shiites such as Awadi -- toward the Shiite-led government.

Yet U.S. officials and even legislators who voted for the measure, which still requires approval by Iraq's presidency council, acknowledge that its impact is hard to assess from its text and will depend on how it is implemented. Some say the law's primary aim is not to return ex-Baathists to work, but to recognize and compensate those harmed by the party. Of the law's eight stated justifications, none mentions reinstating ex-Baathists to their jobs.

"The law is about as clear as mud," said one U.S. senior diplomat.

This deBathication situation seems to be a complicated situation. On the one hand; you have people who were suppressed and tortured expected to welcome their suppressors with open arms and on the other hand you have Bathist expected to denounce their political views or else not being able to be a part of government.

Comparisons keep being made about how long it took for the US to be a viable government. The only we did that was to kill off or take away all the land of Indians and put them in reservations. Not to mention the only way the south prospered was on the backs of blacks. The Indians and white settlers didn't just get along for the good of America.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 07:04 am
My, my, who would have thought these good Christian, conservative, family value politicians would have lied to get us into a war that would kill thousands of Americans, cost us hundreds of billions of dollars and have no end. What did McCain say? Something to the effect that we will stay there a hundred years if necessary?

Study: False statements preceded war
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 11:09 am
Forward that list to Brandon9000, who claimed that there were no lies Bush told.

Quote:

GETTING IRAQ WRONG . . . AGAIN.

This has got to be embarrassing for the Washington Post. Or it would be, if their editorial board had the capacity for shame. Three days ago, WaPo ran a big Sunday op-ed on Iraq by three of the biggest supporters -- Michael O'Hanlon, Fred Kagan, and Gen. Jack Keane -- of the "surge," a piece whose opening sentence touted the success of the troop buildup by citing the recent de-Baathification law as "an important step toward political reconciliation." Today, however, a front page WaPo story reports what many of us said from the beginning: the law is not an indication of political compromise, but rather a misleadingly-named Shia effort to further sideline an already outraged Sunni populace.

The article reports, "Approved by parliament this month under pressure from U.S. officials, the law was heralded by President Bush and Iraqi leaders as a way to soothe the deep anger of many ex-Baathists -- primarily Sunnis but also many Shiites such as Awadi -- toward the Shiite-led government." Except that, of course, it did nothing of the kind: "More than a dozen Iraqi lawmakers, U.S. officials and former Baathists here and in exile expressed concern in interviews that the law could set off a new purge of ex-Baathists, the opposite of U.S. hopes for the legislation." Oops! One prominent Sunni politician even described it as "bait," saying the law is set up so ex-Baathists have to go to a specific location to register, where, he says, they're likely to be killed.

Observers like Kagan, Keene, and O'Hanlon have demonstrated again and again that they don't understand Iraq. They may understand the military, but when it comes to the vital political issues involved, they either don't have a clue or they're dissembling on the prime journalistic real estate of the leading news outlet in our nation's capital. Either way, it's disgraceful.

--AJ Rossmiller

Posted by Phoebe Connelly on January 23, 2008 11:54 AM | Permalink

Many of the hacks are in so deep, they can't stop digging without looking like complete fools. O'Hanlon and Kagan have their doughy little asses wrapped up in 'success' to the point where they can't even be bothered to do any research before trumpeting about success.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 01:39 pm
xingu, Good article: it spells out how many lies were spoken by Bush and his administration to start this illegal war in Iraq.

What is more important, IMHO, is the simple fact is that during this period of election campaign, the conservatives still talk about a) gay marriage, b) Bill Clinton, c) progress in Iraq, d) pushing for ID in our schools, e) tax cuts (for the rich), and f) and spending billions more in Iraq and Afghanistan (while our country goes into recession).

We are talking about economic survival, and Bush is talking about a 150 billion stimulus package that will do nothing to reduce defaults on mortgage loans (which means families losing their homes by the thousands every month), the consumer in debt, and the government increasing the federal debt that will have to be paid by higher ratio of tax revenues to pay the interest that takes away from domestic needs.

The Bush lies survive with impunity.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 01:44 pm
Bush supporters on these threads still claim Bush doesn't lie.

They'll continue to have their heads up their arse until they experience the hell they've all created for not only Americans, but for many in Iraq and the world.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 02:04 pm
"These mea culpas notwithstanding, much of the wall-to-wall media coverage provided additional, 'independent' validation of the Bush administration's false statements about Iraq," it said."

Bush and his coharts had got a wonderful moral ethical emotional support from the majority of standard magazines and daily.
No wonder he had gone berserk with his lie languages.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 06:08 pm
Ramafuchs wrote:
"These mea culpas notwithstanding, much of the wall-to-wall media coverage provided additional, 'independent' validation of the Bush administration's false statements about Iraq," it said."

Bush and his coharts had got a wonderful moral ethical emotional support from the majority of standard magazines and daily.
No wonder he had gone berserk with his lie languages.

Shame on Bush! Damn him! He emphasized two wrong reasons for doing the right thing by invading Iraq, when he could have emphasized two right reasons for doing the right thing by invading Iraq.

Al-Qaeda was growing rapidly in northeastern Iraq for more than a year before ithe USA invaded Iraq.

Saddam was supporting and harboring other anti-American terrorist groups before the USA invasion of Iraq.

Did Bush knowingly give the wrong reasons instead of the right reasons for invading Iraq. I don't know because I cannot read minds and do not believe the writers of the above articles can either.

But what the hell, let's assume Bush deliberately gave false reasons instead of true reasons for invading Iraq, and Congress decides that he did so. Then Congress can impeach Bush just like it did Clinton. Wouldn't that be a wonderful outcome for the left? Or would it?

Meanwhile, in our own best interest and in the Iraqi non-murderers' best interest, we better win and succeed in Iraq.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 06:17 pm
Let us uphold
Civil courage and sweep the street .
I mean Wall street .
Let those who wish to enlighten others gather some toilet paper( American currency i mean)

I have no bank account nor any credit card.

I have many friends who will shed tears when i depart.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2008 04:14 am
Like I said ican, the strength of AQ in Iraq was too small to justify an attack on Iraq. Besides it was in Kurd controlled territory and we could have taken it out easily any time we wanted without launching an invasion of Iraq.

AQ was not the reason we attacked Iraq. It may be the reason in your mind but that doesn't count for much in the real world. On this thread we try to seperate fantasy from reality.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2008 07:00 am
Quote:

source

As complicated as things are in that part of the world with so many grievances or grudges and hates in so many different directions; we could very well be there for another 100 years like McCain wants and things will still remain the same in Iraq while our country here at home gets sucked dry.

I know I have said before; but I think we should leave the Middle East with all its problems and all its natural resources to the Middle East to sort out and we should just take care of our country and think of alternative sources of energy. It's the right thing plus the practical thing even if they do things in a way in which we might not approve; it is their choice and right to choose how to live. We would not like if Britain was still occupying our country manipulating (or trying to) us and telling us how to solve our problems and set up our government so why do expect middle east countries to like being forced to live like us in the name of spreading democracy and freedom. If we were to do that; I bet a large part of our security problem would sooner or later go away. I am not saying we should not ever help when asked or when needed for immediate (not future perceived)danger; but don't interfere and take over control and that includes even the Israel/Palestine problem most of all which seems to have spread even into Iraq.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2008 01:58 pm
xingu wrote:
Like I said ican, the strength of AQ in Iraq was too small to justify an attack on Iraq. Besides it was in Kurd controlled territory and we could have taken it out easily any time we wanted without launching an invasion of Iraq.

AQ in Iraq was small in December 2001 when members of al-Qaeda fled our Afghanistan invasion for iraq. It was not small in March 2003 when the USA invaded Iraq. We took out AQ easily by invading it on the ground with the help of the Kurds after we invaded Iraq. It would have been stupid to duplicate in Iraq Clinton's failure to take out AQ from the air in Afghanistan. Did we have to remove Saddam to accomplish on the ground removing AQ from Iraq? Probably! We know that from the difficulty we have had in removing al-Qaeda from Iraq after invading Iraq.

AQ was not the reason we attacked Iraq. It may be the reason in your mind but that doesn't count for much in the real world. On this thread we try to seperate fantasy from reality.

In this thread you continue to promote fantasy over reality. Bush's reasons for invading Iraq are irrelevant. What is relevant are the 12 relevant and valid reaons (i.e., whereases) for invading Iraq specified in Congress's October 16, 2002 resolution authorizing the use of United States Armed Forces against Iraq. The 11 invalid reasons in that resolution are irrelevant. Your opinion contradicting that resolution doesn't count for much in the real world.

Public Law 107-243, 107th Congress, Joint Resolution, Oct. 16, 2002, H.J. Res. 114,
To authorize the use of United States Armed Forces against Iraq
www.c-span.org/resources/pdf/hjres114.pdf
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2008 03:50 pm
ican, No matter what the US congress authorized, it's still against international laws. Also, it shows you have no conscience or humanity in your simple brain. Just because we have the means doesn't give us the moral authority to attack any sovereign nation based on lies and innuendos; least of all based on trumped up fear.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2008 06:34 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
ican, No matter what the US congress authorized, it's still against international laws. ...

I have repeatedly asked you: our invasion of Iraq is against what international law or laws? Your only response to date is that Kofi Anan said it was against international law, But Kofi also failed to identify the international law or laws it was against.

Why did Kofi not identify the specific law or laws our invasion was against? It's obvious! Kofi doesn't know any more than you do.

I am unaware of any legal authority who has even proposed a convincing legal case for establishing an international law that makes our invasion of Iraq against international law.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2008 06:48 pm
this is what MSNBC reported in 2004 :

Quote:
MSNBC staff and news service reports

updated 6:48 p.m. ET, Wed., June. 16, 2004

WASHINGTON - The commission investigating the Sept. 11 attacks reported Wednesday that Osama bin Laden met with a top Iraqi official in 1994 but found "no credible evidence" of a link between Iraq and al-Qaida in attacks against the United States.

MSNBC full report :
FROM THE 9/11 PANEL
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2008 07:05 pm
ican, Get your head out of your arse; do you know anything about the UN? It's called the United Nations.

Start here: http://www.un.org/aboutun/charter/
0 Replies