Ragman

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 02:26 pm
@edgarblythe,
I also had the same sort of issue with one of my sales (commissioned) jobs. I think it was selling stereos for a retail firm. Their guaranteed salary was $300 per week; however I couldn't make any money because each week that I didn't reach their goal with enough sales revenue, I had to pay back the balance...so I could never get ahead. I lasted 6 weeks...,.back in 1993 after a layoff from the ever-shrinking telecommunications industry.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 02:32 pm
I never took any sales jobs, because I knew I could not sell lifejackets to the drowning.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 05:28 am
1186a. We had a good rain last night, with more predicted. Just in time, I say. I only give most of my plants enough water to keep them alive. If they require more to do well, that is no no concern of mine. I don't want plants that can't take care of themselves.
1187a. I think our new lead man will likely seek work elsewhere in the near future. This job requires constant walking, climbing stairs and moving things. I don't see his legs holding out. He is only fifty, but his legs are old.
1188a. I heard Bob Dylan's recording of You Belong to Me yesterday. It was made in his old guy voice. (See the pyramids along the Nile). I beseech you, Bob: Form a group that will carry you. It was painful to listen.
spendius

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 07:38 am
@edgarblythe,
1189a. I think you're a fair-weather fan ed. He can still sing better than anybody I've seen. A 71 year-old singing that song has to sound pretty plaintive I should think.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 01:54 pm
@spendius,
I did not say I quit being a fan. I offered him some constructive advice.
spendius

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 03:08 pm
@edgarblythe,
Well- I don't know which recording of that song you are referring to so I can't really comment about it. I just doubt you are right.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2012 05:30 am
1189a. Dog I feel so unnecessary.
1190a. Subfloor and concrete work today.
1191a. I sprinkled the yard with bug granules just before the rain. I did not want to poison the whole place, but the bugs are unbelievably bad this season.
spendius

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2012 08:07 am
@edgarblythe,
1192a. I think those looking for work should read 1190a. with attention.

Nobody is necessary because otherwise they could hold the world hostage. I imagine I would get that way doing what you do if your descriptions of work are accurate. It's pretty poor reward for what you do to end up with your head in your hands saying "Dog I feel so unnecessary!"

1193a. I think I would have italicised the "so" and placed a comma after "Dog".

1194a. I think I'll go re-pot the chilli plant I was given this morning. It's six inches high and needs more room. Three of my tomato plants are budding their fourth truss. I've got potatoes and cabbages and cauliflowers and sprouts and onions and carrots and beetroot and rhubarb and lettuce and peas and beans and blackberries and strawberries and all fighting for a place in the sun. Which we haven't seen a lot of recently.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2012 01:54 pm
If my job were just concrete work, I would likely be forced to quit and look for something easy. But it happens sporadically, so I can handle it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2012 02:00 pm
Dog I feel so unnecessary.

When I was a kid, a country comedian appeared weekly (weakly too) on the Grand Ole Opry. Rod Brassfield always greeted his audience with, "I feel so unnecessary," before launching his act. Sometimes people in succeeding acts have preceded the statement with "Lord." This was an attempt at humor on my part. I live nostalgically through some parts of the day.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2012 02:02 pm
It's good to have a nice garden like that. I have a black thumb, re gardening. Most of what I plant must be hardy to survive, because I don't make much effort to help.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2012 11:47 am
1192a. Well, the kids from Austin came down for the high school reunion. They left my 16 month old grandson with us. About the same time they left for the festivities, I got called to go back to work and by the time I got back the little sprout was sleeping. About midnight they came and took him and were gone. At seven AM, I was just settling in for some extra sleep, when the answer service called me to fix a different air conditioner. Finally got it done and then mrs edgarblythe was ready for grocery shopping. I think after I rest some I will have a Lone Star beer.
1193a. I feared so much rain might drown the moringa trees, but they look good.
1194a. I read about how military suicides average one per day. That's the consequences of people so young joining up and then getting sent to fight in three and more tours of duty. Young minds are not ready for that, but they can't know it before they volunteer.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 09:03 am
1195a. They have simulated conditions on Mars and then introduced microscopic life and have learned that the life sustains in that environment. I have often wondered that the War of the Worlds (H G Wells) might occur in reverse.
1196a. I watched Robert Mitchum, in, Farewell My Lovely, I think the title was. Phillip Marlowe. Kinda silly, but a nice diversion for a tired guy late at night.
1197a. The other day, I tried to watch a western with Stacy Keach. "Doc," another of the Gunfight at OK Corral movies. In this one, they built up Doc's character at Wyatt Earp's expense. There is a scene in which one of the Clantons challenges Wyatt to fight it out, hand to hand. Clanton kicks the crap out of Wyatt, even puts a boot on his crotch. Doc has to sit quietly on his horse and then takes Wyatt away at the end. It was at this point I turned it off.
1198a. I am not an animal. Forgot that one for Frank's quotes thread.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 10:59 am
@edgarblythe,
I know I mentioned this before, but I bought a case full of cowboy movies that has 50 western classics. When I was a kid growing up in Sacramento, a friend of mine used to treat me to tag along to see many of those movies, and I got hooked on them.

This past month, I had the opportunity to visit Deadwood, Little Big Horn Battlefield, Cody, and Jackson Hole, that has many of our "cowboy and Indian" history.

I'm gonna start watching those movies again - based on your mention from your last post. Mr. Green
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 11:33 am
@cicerone imposter,
Some of my favorite westerns:
High Noon
The Gunfighter
Good Bad & Ugly
The Big Country
Any Glenn Ford Western
Any Gary Cooper western
Cowboy, with Glenn Ford and Jack Lemon
Any Henry Fonda western
Jesse James and The Return of Frank James
Last Train From Gunne Hill
The Gunfight at OK Corral, with Kirk Douglas
Darling Clementine
Westward the Women
John Wayne/ The Three Godfathers, Hondo, Rio Bravo, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, Red River, The Searchers, Stagecoach, The Kentuckian
MacKenna's Gold
Yellow Sky
Any Joel McCrea or Randolph Scott western
And there are many more, but these are some off the top of my head.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 11:37 am
@edgarblythe,
IMO, High Noon is the finest western ever made, the best picture Gary Cooper ever starred in, and probably among the top 10 movies of all time.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 11:37 am
@edgarblythe,
This is in Deadwood.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/imposter222/2012MAYNationalParksCanyons2012-05-12093.jpg
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 11:39 am
@cicerone imposter,
Looks like they built a movie set in Deadwood.
Saloon #10 is where Wild Bill Hickok was shot.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/imposter222/2012MAYNationalParksCanyons2012-05-12075.jpg
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 11:40 am
@Lustig Andrei,
I have probably seen high noon twenty times. They tried to give the lead role to Gregory Peck, but Peck felt the story was too similar to The Gunfighter and declined. The Gunfighter is another fine movie, but the production level is much better with High Noon.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 11:41 am
I bet a few movies have been filmed, using that actual part of Deadwood.
0 Replies