@Lustig Andrei,
Now that you mentioned High Noon, the music now plays in my noggin. LOL

Here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4a_1UhwgFU

Gotta put that on my MP3.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 11:48 am
@edgarblythe,
What? Do I not see 'Paint your Wagon' or 'Cat Ballou' or 'Little Big Man'?
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 11:53 am
@Ragman,
I just watched Paint Your Wagon a few weeks ago. Lee Marvin was one of my favorites in the westerns. Same with some others I failed to mention. In Monte Walsh he was very old and he and a guy I once worked with looked very much alike at that stage. I could have mentioned James Coburn and don't get me started on the actors who always played bad guys, such as Robert Wilkie, Bruce Dern, Strother Martin and the rest.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 11:57 am
@edgarblythe,
Until he got that lead role in Marty and won the Oscar, Ernest Borgnine fit into that set of professional heavies, along with Strother Martin, Bruce Dern etc. His classic role as a baddie, of course, is in Bad Day at Black Rock, along with Lee Marvin again. And the one-armed character played by Spencer Tracy ends up beating the **** out of the two of them.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 11:59 am
@Lustig Andrei,
I love to watch Ernest Borgnine. He is at least ninety and still around.
Ragman

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 12:02 pm
@edgarblythe,
Cripes! Ernie is 95!
"Borgnine earned an Emmy Award nomination at age 92 for his work on the series ER."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_borgnine
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 12:04 pm
My calendar seems to be running slow.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 12:11 pm
Actually, quite a few stars played heavies in their early films. James Coburn, Lee Van Cleef, Lee Marvin, Richard Boone, the guy with the Deathwish movies - Charles Bronson.
Ragman

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 12:14 pm
@edgarblythe,
Not to mention Clint Eastwood
Lustig Andrei

@edgarblythe,
Lee VanCleef never left that milieu, did he?
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

@Ragman,
Was Eastwood ever cast as a heavy? I mean apart from lead roles where his character might have been less than ideal (e.g. Dirty Harry)?
Ragman

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 12:15 pm
@edgarblythe,
"On January 24, 2007, Borgnine celebrated his 90th birthday at a bistro in West Hollywood, California. Guests included his wife Tova, decades-long friend Tim Conway, Dennis Farina, Army Archerd, Andy Granatelli, Bo Hopkins, Burt Young, Steven Bauer, his son Cris Borgnine, grandson Anthony Borgnine, Connie Stevens, David Gerber, Debbie Reynolds, Joe Mantegna, Norm Crosby and many more.

On February 24, 2008, Borgnine celebrated the 35th anniversary of his marriage to cosmetics maker Tova Traenaes."
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 12:16 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Are you forgetting 'A Fistful of Dollars', 'The Good, the Bad and the Ugly', and all of those Spaghetti Westerns?
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 12:18 pm
@Ragman,
OK, that's what I meant. Those are lead roles. He doesn't play a heavy against some other star as the others we've mentioned did. I don't think he's really a baddie in A Fistful of Dollars or any of the other Sergei Lene spaghetti Westerns either.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 12:19 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Clint Eastwood started on TV as Rowdy Yates.
Lee Van Cleef never made it to the top, but he starred in some westerns after The Good Bad and Ugly and he starred in a TV series in which he played a man who learned the Ninja arts and was sort of a private eye or something. I don't recall the storylines.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 12:21 pm
@edgarblythe,
Everybody seems to forget that Lee VanCleef also got his start in High Noon, mentioned above. He's the chief baddie waiting for Frank Miller's train to arrive so he can hand Miller this guns. That was 1954, long before the Clint Eastwood flicks.
Ragman

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 12:22 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
oh, ok.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 12:24 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Speaking of great western movies and Lee Van Cleef , let's not forget "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" and 'Gunfight at the O.K. Corral'.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 12:24 pm
@Ragman,
Yeh. Tortured script, imo, but a very fine movie nonetheless.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 12:27 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

Everybody seems to forget that Lee VanCleef also got his start in High Noon, mentioned above. He's the chief baddie waiting for Frank Miller's train to arrive so he can hand Miller this guns. That was 1954, long before the Clint Eastwood flicks.

Actually, it was the talk about High Noon and a few others got me thinking about Lee. Another of the heavies in High Noon was Robert Wilkie and the old drunk lying around in the jail was Jack Elam, another great heavy.
0 Replies