Lash

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2017 09:21 am
@Lash,
I noticed you were discussing the two party system etc, & I'd read this piece this morning. I want to assure you I don't want to turn your lovely thread into a political one. The moment you change subjects, I'll follow suit. Smile
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2017 10:36 am
@Lash,
That's the kind of nastiness they usually try to hide at the bottom of spending bills, to be passed in the dead of night.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2017 12:09 pm
I received a wonderful new robe for Christmas. Problem is, we have been having two to three weeks of warm weather to a week of cool or cold weather. It's just too warm for robes. I wore it for the first time today but had to take it off.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2017 01:38 pm
@edgarblythe,
Send it to me. I can guarantee it'll be used more frequently. My wife doesn't put on the heat in our home.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2017 02:18 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I may need it for a few days. Tomorrow it is supposed to range in temp from 30s to 40s.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2017 06:22 am
Woke up to temps in the upper 30s. The afternoon temp will be 36. We have two days of freeze coming. In a couple of days it will get back to 75. We have to drive in it, mid day today. mrs edgarblythe is getting gel shots in the knees. This is something different for her. I hope it eases her pain when walking. She still works, cooking for a children's daycare. She is very much against knee replacement at this stage.
George

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2017 08:23 am
@edgarblythe,
I hope the shots do the trick.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2017 08:34 am
We expect a cruel winter storm to blow in tonight and make traffic ridiculous for the weekend. I had to cancel a visit with my kid in Atlanta because of it. Cancelled a hike with a new dude. But 14 hours on I-85, freezing to death is to be avoided at all costs. 😞

Hope everyone has been safe and warm during this winter storm.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2017 08:44 am
I've lived where it snows and I don't intend ever to live there again. Rhode Island, NYC, Kansas City. Spent time in Colorado snow. It's fun for a week or so, but then I tire of it.
Lash

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2017 09:06 am
@edgarblythe,
I can't understand why anyone would live in such an unforgiving, demanding environment. Add to the time it takes to do your pre-work routine, freezing time to de-ice car windows, make sure you have chains, or worry about randomly careening off the road or into oncoming traffic.

Just no. I'd never get warm enough.
George

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2017 09:44 am
@Lash,
So don't pencil you in for a ski trip?
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2017 10:56 am
I am not defending the excess heat and drought that strikes here all the time.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2017 03:45 pm
@Lash,
Lash, Many people all over the world live in extreme climates, but they love their country. Many enjoy the different seasons of the year.
In most of Northern California where we live, we are fortunate to have a moderate climate. We can drive a few hours to the Sierra Nevada Mountains for snow skiing or water sports at Lake Tahoe. The granite mountains of Yosemite National Park is world famous visited by millions every year. We were there last October, and stayed at Yosemite Lodge for two nights and three days. We're planning to go there this year.
In March, we're planning a trip to Hawaii to stay at my nephew's condo in Waikiki. We're planning to take my sister and her husband to Maui or Kauai for a couple of days.
My travel buddy, Alexander, said we'll be going to Cuba in October or November.
Roberta

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2017 01:13 am
@Lash,
Lash, I love the change of seasons and especially like the cold. Used to love the snow. I live in NYC and don't know anyone in the city who has a car, so the deicing stuff isn't an issue. I'll take cold over heat any time. I find it invigorating and stimulating.

If it's cold, you can always put on more clothes. If it's hot, there's only so much you can take off.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2017 07:32 am
@Roberta,
Winter in NYC did not seem so bad, as I stayed indoors all the time. But out in the state, I once had to follow a snow plow to get to my destination and did not enjoy that.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2017 10:02 am
We had to drive around yesterday. The temp was in the thirties and slowly dropping into the twenties overnight. As we rode, the cabin vents put out no air below the dash. Most of the air blew against the windshield and it was not especially warm. My first thought was to change the cabin filter, figuring there must be a clogged old one. Turned out, 98 Rangers have no filter. It is likely a vacuum leak, but could be electrical. I went out and located the parts described on a website about car repair. Saw nothing obvious, then got the hell back inside, where it's warm. By the time my mechanic opens for business next, the temps will have moderated. In fact, 75 is forecast for a few days from now. Well, I will call the mechanic and get an idea what he thinks about it and how expensive it might be.

We did not get to the doctor's office. His person called and said he canceled because an emergency operation had intervened. Next week, now.
Lash

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2017 10:24 am
@George,
I suspect a survival time of about three minutes.

I'd love to see your pictures, though. Ha.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2017 10:30 am
@cicerone imposter,
Yes, I lived there too for 6 years. It was easy to layer against that crazy Bay wind. The weather was wonderful, but I really missed the seasons...and rain.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2017 11:11 am
@Roberta,
I've visited NYC a few times, and enjoy the vibrancy. Remember taking my family to see the first David Letterman show, and told my family as we walked out, he wasn't going to last.
My first visit was in the late fifties, when I was being transferred to Morocco for a one year tour of duty in the USAF. While in Morocco, was able to visit Madrid, Paris and London, and the travel bug bit my behind. Have since then visited over 80 countries.
While in Morocco, we lived through sand storms that covered everything in our living huts.
We lived in Chicago (Naperville) for three years when I worked for Florsheim Shoe Company, and we had snow in April one year.
Used to own 1/5 share in a condo at Incline Village at Lake Tahoe where we used to visit year around for skiing and fishing, but when our sons lost interest, I sold our share.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2017 01:01 pm
@edgarblythe,
Doc's visit will be routine exam?