Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2012 08:23 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Yup. Maybe biggest mistake he's made so far.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2012 07:52 am
1170a. The lady I vented about found me yesterday, just to let me know she has a doctor appointment. The doc says it's likely a kidney infection. She says she hopes they don't find cancer. Likely she will be fine. She is 82 or 83, but in remarkably good health. Her biggest problem, she sometimes trips and falls. I think that is due to her poor eyesight. When that happens, she uses a walker for a day or two, but then goes solo.
1171a. I saw a headline this morning. If I got it right, cancer cases will increase by 75% in the coming few years. More money for those with financial interests. Some say they are making great strides with the research. Great strides in polio research saw results. With cancer its like waiting for the second coming.
1172a. My youngest grandson will be staying with us overnight, beginning Friday. We have to make the house childproof before then.
Ragman

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2012 08:13 am
@edgarblythe,
Clearly the lady you spoke of is pre-occupied with her infirmity and illness. Sounds as theough she needed some attention re her complaints about falling branch. It's a shame she had to use the method she did, this making trouble for you.

Re childproofing: Bring in another child and that'll help childproof the place. When together, they'll get so preoccupied with each other that they'll forget to wreck the place. Oh yeah...add a slinky.

Yes is the answer to those who are derisively wondering 'WTF'?. I have no kids and I'm 61 and I'm a few fries short of a happy meal.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2012 08:16 am
@Ragman,
We don't know where to borrow a kid and kidnapping is out of the question. My solution is to think of everything a kid can possibly get into and assume he will and more. Then the barricades go up.
Ragman

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2012 09:07 am
@edgarblythe,
But it's a labor of love, I'm sure!

Recalling back in family history to when my older brother was a kid of perhaps 6 or so ... in the early 50s'... he stuck a curtain rod into an outlet and got 3rd degree burns.

Remembering about putting on those outlet covers.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2012 11:01 am
We've got extension cords and plain outlets to worry about. I put high locks on certain doors when we actually had kids in here. Two of the floor air vents could be a problem, so I am replacing them all. The kitchen cabinet under the sink is probably the most worrisome, but I can take care of that. He has stairs in his own home, so the high porch steps won't figure much. There is lots of other stuff I haven't even taken the time to consider.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 09:21 am
1173a. Every family has its own set of germs. We all share the same ones in lesser or greater degree and our lifestyle probably makes certain ones more or less of a danger. So I will make the house as germ free as possible for my grandson's visit. I really must post a photo. He is highly photogenic.
1174a. I have been very careful tending the pool at work. Little kids have drowned in a few local apt pools lately. I check the latch on the gate and I have gotten the chemical balance as near perfect as you will find. I test it up to six times per week. I would hope that parents will be attentive when their kids swim, or when any kids around them swim. I hate that people can neglect the most precious beings in their lives.
1175a. I finally finished trimming the porch and front windows yesterday. I love the effect of lattice when used that way.
1176a. Some bugs are eating up the cactus. They just select any portion of the skin and chow down. At first I ignored them, but they have gotten really destructive now. I plan to murdelize the bums before this weekend is out.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 10:01 am
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee307/edgarblythe/littledude.jpg
Ragman

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 10:41 am
@edgarblythe,
What a happy looking baby!
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 10:49 am
@Ragman,
He has always been good natured, when I have seen him. But, we have never been alone together, with me and my wife. Hope he stays happy without his parents.
Letty

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 01:10 pm
@edgarblythe,
Ah, edgar, how precious. You and Mrs. edgar must be delighted to have him visit. He'll be happy, because you are happy.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 01:23 pm
He's a great kid. The next grandson, moving up in age, is the world's most independant kid. It would run me ragged to keep him (but I would do it).
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2012 05:25 am
1177a. A new week. Here's hoping we can set a moderate pace at work for a time. It is predicted that we will have some rain this week. It was so predicted last week, but we got nothing. Wait. I think we got zilch. It doesn't take long for things to dry out.
1178a. Some things I would like to see:
1. FDA tyrannical power reduced.
2. Drug makers make less designer drugs and concentrate on drugs that actually heal, at a price people can afford.
3. Tax the rich.
4. Fund schools.
5. Fund the post office.
6. Regulate banks and big business in ways similar to rules of the 1950s.
7. Stop making war everywhere.
8. News media output not controlled by owners, but by the state of the news.
9. Use government to help create jobs.

A party that pushed in this direction would have my vote.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2012 11:32 am
@edgarblythe,
Your 1178a, #4 is a good subject for the current topic. College tuition is growing beyond most poor families to afford, and scholarships are disappearing no matter how good their grades. Many public universities in California accept out of state and foreign students, because they pay more to attend; that's the wrong direction for our country.

If we can afford to spend billions on wars, why can't our government spend more on our schools? Their priorities have always been ass-backwards when they grow our prisons that cost more than spending money on our children's education.

No wonder our country is in trouble!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2012 05:34 am
1179a. The temperature this day last year was 105. We were well into the drought. Today it will be in the low nineties and chances of rain are 20% today, with 30 and 40 chances for almost a week.
1180a. There is a type of bug eating up my cactus. I sprayed them with an aerosol primarily designed for fleas, with no effect. I sprayed them with a poison designed for distributing about the perimeters of the house. They appeared unfazed, yesterday evening. If I go out and see them still chomping, I found some Dursban in the storage. I intend to get a delivery system for it at Home Depot this afternoon. The rebound from the drought has created superbugs. I am having hell keeping Punky the dog from getting carried off and ate up. I am missing the drought.
1181a. When my youngest daughter was still new at getting jobs, she undertook to sell vacuum cleaners. The ones she pushed were monsters. Heavy and with lots of attachments and functions, including shampooing the carpets. We bought one, mainly to support her. As it turned out, her boss coerced the sales force to sign a contract. The contract stated that they must make X number of appointments or no paycheck, each week. It quickly became apparent that he maneuvered to keep each person one short, giving him a free work force. But, my daughter he liked. He decided to pay and promote her. So she cashed her check and promptly quit her job. The guy was outraged that somebody actually got paid and got the best of him. He called repeatedly, threatening to sue. Finally, he faded. But the vacuum we bought lingered on. We have not used it in about five years. Last night, I put it by the curb, along with an entertainment system and a step stool. This morning, the items are gone. I hope somebody gets good use out of those things.
Ragman

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2012 06:09 am
@edgarblythe,
A quick question 'cause this sounds so very familiar. Was this vacuum cleaner a Rainbow system and was it direct marketing style (door-to-door) selling?
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2012 01:34 pm
@Ragman,
It was Hoover and the boss man sent the sales people to prearranged appointments. It was necessary to prearrange, because part of the demonstration was to shampoo the mark's living room floor.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 05:36 am
1182a. I was the only maintenance on the job yesterday. I made entirely too many trips up and down stairs in all that heat. Got to pace myself or I won't hold up.
1183a. I once could not fathom in my wildest nightmare the like of GW Bush or Mitt Romney even getting nominated to run for president. It's becoming commonplace -
1184a. Watched some of the music on the Queen's Diamond celebration last night. Tom, Paul and Elton showed their advanced age but did well under the circumstances.
1185a. I have figured out that if my moringa trees don't survive the coldest weather this next winter, I can keep enough seeds on hand and just replant.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 08:13 am
@edgarblythe,
Yeah! I hear that. The same process was true for Rainbow system's spiel. that's how a lot of these door-to-door sales things work - vacum cleaners and otherwise - pre-qualified 'live leads' as opposed to cold-calls.

Re the performances: pretty cool, for the most part. Sir Elton was excellent but Sir Paul had some trouble with his high notes.

With those Moringa trees, mebbe they'll be mature enough to handle the chill (as long as no frost)?

Wow I just checked out the web page for Charles Turner quick reads. That's quite a stable you've got going there. Very good!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 02:10 pm
Thanks, rags. I only wish I could get finished with my novel, so that I can get back to the short stories, which I enjoy working on the best.

The same daughter's husband was selling cars. They paid him $300 per week, but when he sold a car, all the money he had been paid came out of the commision. He did not last long before being starved out.