edgarblythe

Reply Thu 10 May, 2012 05:25 am
1100a. The Mentalist will be a Red John episode. Probably season ender, I am thinking.
1101a. I watched a Chuckie movie the other night. Don't know why. I was sitting there as it started and got hooked. The doll was inhabited by a man and was slowly becoming human. He had to switch bodies with the little boy in the story or else be that final version of Chuckie the rest of his life. In his actions, he was a sort of precursor to Stewie.
1102a. Today at work should be interesting. They took away our temp for half of each week, meaning we will be breaking in a new one repeatedly. Plus, the sewer backed up in one building and we were awaiting the plumber when I went home.
1103a. I have been changing my email to a lesser known server, because they purport to not share your info.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 12 May, 2012 08:25 am
1104a. It is pretty obvious that in The Mentalist Jane is staging this new rebel persona in a bid to get close enough to snag Red John. If Red John is half as smart as he is believed to be he will not go for it. But, hey, it's just television.
1105a. My instructions on growing moringa trees in the ground warn that termites will eat them. I moved my boxes from the site and discovered the wood got infested with termites. So I left the seeds undisturbed, just in case they survived, but went to plan 2. I soaked some seeds for over twelve hours and then wrapped them in a wet cloth and stored them in a dark place. Once they show enough life, they will get lightly covered with soil and allowed to grow for a time in a pot. I keep thinking there are pots that can be planted with a tree and the pots will disintegrate. I need to check that out really soon.
1106a. I am thinking of growing my own ingredients for making black salve, also. The FDA keeps screwing with suppliers and I fear they will eventually strangle my supply.
1107a. You can tell it's an election year. The cost of gasoline is dropping.
1108a. Did you see the story about the targets portraying Trayvon Martin? His likeness is not on them, but a hoodie meant to represent him. They sold out immediately.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 13 May, 2012 08:41 am
1109a. Stripping the wallpaper in the bedroom. We want to paint a cheerful color.
1110a. I have one sprout in the back yard that looks healthy. What appears to be a similar sprout, with the top eaten, has pushed through at the other site. Eartatin that the bugs choose to over run the property of one who does not want to spread poisonous chemicals. According to a man with whom I once worked, it is too late to be concerned. He told me we are doomed, no matter what. He used to work clearing toxic sites. His assessment was as pessimistic as any I have heard.
spendius

Reply Sun 13 May, 2012 09:09 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
According to a man with whom I once worked, it is too late to be concerned. He told me we are doomed, no matter what.

That's very well phrased Ed. It has real power. Lightning rod bathos.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 13 May, 2012 09:37 am
@edgarblythe,
I was told that spraying a dillute mild dish detergent (like Dawn) works wonders at discouraging chomping bugs without hurting sprouts. I think the more mature shoots can handle cayenne pepper dillluted with water.

"Powdery mildew:
Mix equal parts milk and water and spray on infected plants. Three treatments a week apart should control the disease.

Insects and fungal diseases:
Combine one tablespoon of cooking oil, two tablespoons of baking soda and a few drops of Ivory soap into a quart of water. Pour into a spray container and apply as above"
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 13 May, 2012 10:50 am
@Ragman,
I suppose Ajax might also work. Will give it a shot.
Ragman

Reply Sun 13 May, 2012 03:35 pm
@edgarblythe,
It has to be mild ... like Ivory Liquid Dish soap. A little sprinkled cayenne pepper after it's been made wet possibly might work.

" ... product free of perfumes and additives that might harm plants. Mix the soap in a weak concentration with water (starting a 1 teaspoon per gallon and increasing as necessary). Spray on plants. "

http://houseplants.about.com/od/pests/a/Aphids.htm
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 13 May, 2012 03:44 pm
@Ragman,
I watered some down and used it a few hours ago.If the sprout does not survive, I have others working to sprout indoors.
Ragman

Reply Sun 13 May, 2012 03:58 pm
@edgarblythe,
sounds like a good plan

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 14 May, 2012 05:40 am
1111a. Quiet week ahead. Just work, write, hang out. Only the unforseen can alter that.
1112a. For those who doubt Obama's sincerety, re same sex marriage: Either way, so what? It's Pandora's box. You ain't shutting it once it's open. Historical trends have a way of sweeping the unwilling along with the willing. Recalcitrance on his part might have served to break the momentum somewhat, but same sex unions will ultimately be legal in all or most of the states.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 14 May, 2012 06:51 am
@edgarblythe,
I agree; the younger generation are more liberal in their thinking about gay marriage.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 14 May, 2012 09:30 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

I agree; the younger generation are more liberal in their thinking about gay marriage.

As well as -- thank goodness! -- a number of other things. The Baby Boomers are the Conservatves. But there's a new generation of neo-hippies coming of age!
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 14 May, 2012 11:09 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
For those who doubt Obama's sincerety, re same sex marriage: Either way, so what?

There were reports on US News channels that Mr Obama's affirmation was the result of pressure from his all female family. (A dire state imo.)

If it is "so what" who wears the pants in the WH, it is still a shift from previous times and such things are always interesting. The Leveson Enquiry has today spent half the afternoon on the difference between power and influence.

It may be beneficial. But it is a shift. An effect. And effects have causes. That this shift is coincidental with the decline of the influence of the Christian dispensation is only worth noting as a possible cause. There is the lurching from one financial crisis to another to consider as well. The astrological radiations maybe. Too rich a diet.

The shift, is a fact I think: Mr Attlee probably never consulted his wife on any matters of state and I very much doubt she thought she might be required to offer guidance to him. The effect not having a human cause is not something worth dwelling upon.

But I don't know if the news reports were true that Mr Obama's change of position is due to nagging, browbeating and various other forms of pressure within his nuclear family.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 14 May, 2012 12:27 pm
The president, of whom I am no great follower, could not be browbeat into such a decision due to weakness of character. He had to see more of a plus than simply halting some nagging. I may criticise him for many things he may or may not be doing, but I find no fault with him here.
spendius

Reply Mon 14 May, 2012 12:45 pm
@edgarblythe,
What sort of a plus? One would hardly expect a man of his age and experience to have undergone an epiphany on the matter.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 14 May, 2012 12:46 pm
@spendius,
Epiphany, sees writing on wall - Why nit pick it?
spendius

Reply Mon 14 May, 2012 12:51 pm
@edgarblythe,
Why not? It's what Socrates taught was necessary.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 14 May, 2012 01:47 pm
@spendius,
Is he on Fox news?
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 15 May, 2012 05:40 am
1113a. I support the woman's right to make her own decisions re abortion. Thinking back, I have never known a woman who's situation or inclination moved her to abort her fetus. At least none was brought to my attention.
1114a. I actually paid attention to an episode of Two and a Half Men last night. Never again.
1115a. My new email pushed me to make up a pin number so complicated I had to write it down. How is that safer than using one easily memorized?
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 15 May, 2012 07:25 am
@edgarblythe,
I use capital letters, numbers, and lower case for my password.