snood

Reply Wed 2 May, 2012 06:52 pm
@edgarblythe,
So...
What do you do with your moringa?
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 2 May, 2012 08:23 pm
@snood,
I am still studying the plant. I have not decided which uses to put it to. Somebody I respect suggested the seeds, but the literature is so overwhelming at first that I need time.
snood

Reply Wed 2 May, 2012 08:57 pm
@edgarblythe,
There does certainly seem to be an awful lot of material about it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 3 May, 2012 05:32 am
1079a. The Scream just sold for about 80 Brazillian dollars. Personally, a painting like that would be stored out in the shed, where the dust, bugs and mildew could work on it. Any black velvet artist could come up with something like that. That's my view and I am sticking with it.
1080a. I became interested in moringa because I am ever on the lookout for things that boost the immune system. I thought to plant some because there is no need to pay for something that grows so easily. I rarely have enough money to buy all the things I need or just want to try.
1081a. I got my porch framed and the screen up. What is left to finish is still quite a bit. Put a little fringe of roof, lattice on the bottom and trim it to look nice. And paint it. And put solar screen on the screen door.
1082a. And put a rail on the steps.
1083a. I finally finished hearing the first disc of Chimes of Freedom: The Songs of Bob Dylan. Some nice tracks, but no big prize winners, as yet.
1084a. For the first time in my life, I only have one TV show that interests me enough to wait for it each week. There have always been at least two or three. I may be forced to go cable.
1085a. Often when driving around, I will see a police officer take a look at the stickers on my windshield. Then I pull into a parking lot and look at the windshields near my pick up. I always seem to spot a few out of date. In fact, I noticed one last Saturday about three or four years old. I can only surmise that some of us trigger their curiosity while other drivers are invisible to scrutiny.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 4 May, 2012 05:43 am
1086a. Tired but happy this morning. The lattice is making the porch start to shape up, look-wise. I want to put an arch over the entrance. I don't have proper tools for cutting an arc. But I will come up with something.
1087a. Next Mentalist marks the anniversary of the day Red John murdered Jane's family. The preview said the day is marked in blood and it showed Red John's trade image of a circle face drawn in blood.
1088a. I muchly prefer to have Obama re-elected over Romney. But I cannot move myself to vote for him. He, like Clinton, keeps inching the Democrats to the right. When the process is complete, the liberals and progressives are going to be asking themselves what happened. "I voted for the right slogans."
1089a. I prefer a government that gets funded and functions. Seems like if you shut it down by increments you shut down the nation in ever compounding failure. You stall the inertia of building and working, making a nation of haves and have nots, in a master servant relationship. -
Rockhead

Reply Fri 4 May, 2012 10:06 am
@edgarblythe,
I'll mail you a jigsaw if you want, ed.

just send it back when you are done...
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 4 May, 2012 12:12 pm
@Rockhead,
I have two jigsaws, but I am not certain I want to do that much of that kind of cutting with one. Thanks anyway.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 5 May, 2012 08:19 am
1090a. I went to my little tree spots and found two moringas sprouted already in three days. Went to the second spot and found bare earth with a few sow bugs cruising about like Pacman ghosts. Bastards. I am going to try again, but this time put a cover made of window screen, to block larger bugs.
1091a. My porch looks good, but still needs work.
1092a. Not paying attention in the back yard, I fell into Holly and Baby's memorial hole. That will learn me to keep the weeds cut.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 5 May, 2012 02:50 pm
@edgarblythe,
The sprouts of which I spoke were not my seeds. So, now I have them covered by boxes with screen covering. Hopefully when they sprout the bugs won't get a chance at them too soon.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 5 May, 2012 02:54 pm
@edgarblythe,
I have a bunch of poppy seeds I gotta find an appropriate spot for.

the sow bugs are thick, and the moles are organizing...

(got a pretty healthy crop of tejas sized skeeters as well.)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 5 May, 2012 02:55 pm
I lost all my grapes this season because I cannot bring myself to use poison.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 5 May, 2012 03:02 pm
@edgarblythe,
the vines, or just the fruit?

I need to finish my arbor so mine have something to cling to...

(I had a bad dream that my goats were alone in my pond garden for a day...)
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 5 May, 2012 03:06 pm
@Rockhead,
They ate the grapes and most of the leaves. The plants are surviving and recovering.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 5 May, 2012 03:14 pm
@edgarblythe,
bummer.

have you talked to anybody locally about natural insecticides and such?

I have a little old guy that is pretty good with that sorta thing.

Is it just roly poly's (sowbugs)?
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 5 May, 2012 04:50 pm
@Rockhead,
I have not been able to get a look at the grape eaters. One day all was fine. Next morning, it looked like a herd of locusts passed through.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 05:32 am
1093a. I had to go in to work on an air conditioner Saturday. I was not on call, but the man who is told me his brakes were not functioning. It was a simple enough job to replace the capacitor. It had lost some freon, so I need to look for a leak this morning.
1094a. Looks like we are at war in Yemen. The wars over there will never end, until the American public insists on it.
1095a. A kid drowned at an apartment swimming pool over the past few days. A second kid nearly did the same at a second complex. I worry all the time that it could happen here. We have no way to keep watch on every swimmer. I do make sure, daily, that the catch on the gate works smoothly.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 8 May, 2012 05:45 am
1096a. I wore myself down last week. Taking it easy this week, so I can get back to it over the weekend. There is still lots to be done to this little abode.
1097a. The new Avengers movie does not interest me. None of the Marvel Comics films I have seen were worth the effort, with the exception of Spiderman. Personal opinion. Not meant as a challenge to fans of such.
spendius

Reply Tue 8 May, 2012 07:32 am
@edgarblythe,
1098a. I think the comics of a nation, or of a class, are an extremely important cultural force. Avengers, Marvels and Spidermen type things were all rubbish to those minds formed by Dandy and Beano, Popeye, Laurel and Hardy and suchlike. They were daft as Henry Fielding explained in Tom Jones. Making people daft.

If you can't write without recourse to the impossible it is time to pack it in. You are allowed to use extrapolated coincidence. If it could happen it's okay. If it couldn't it's daft. Forget the irony. That's an affectation.

Tom Jones could have been in Mr Alworthy's bed smiling like Little Moses is supposed to have done sufficiently to melt a heathen princess's heart. In fact Mr Fielding took the trouble to explain how he got there to avoid some dark suspicions about who his mother was after the incident at the inn with an occupant of a night-staging coach.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 8 May, 2012 12:29 pm
I grew up loving the superhero comics. And I think the movies based on many Marvel (and DC) characters are lacking. In particular, I looked forward to the one which introduces to the screen the Silver Surfer, but was sorely disappointed.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 05:31 am
1098a. The story of a boy getting in trouble, because he sang a line from a song that has the word "sexy," made me recall myself at that age. A local grocer's ten year old daughter got kidnapped, then. We stayed riveted on the news accounts, until the man set her out of the car a day or three later. My read on the man's motives was to ascribe villainy in general to his character. Villains did that sort of thing. That he had another motive never crossed my mind. Likewise, if I then knew a song that said "sexy" I would have thought of some form of endearment or a like-able, fun, person. Nothing more. Of course, kids these days are witness to life's steamier side, through movies and computers and such, at a much younger age. Still, I take the kid's side.
1099a. My wife and I concluded that we eat too much junk. So, she agreed with me that we need to purchase more veggies and less crap from now on. I said wait a minute. Went to a cabinet and took out a great bag of M&Ms. "This was to be part of the Mothers Day stuff I bought. Maybe your Mama would like them." "We are going to eat those," she stated, flatly. But, we made plans to start the new way of eating on Monday.
0 Replies