edgarblythe

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 12:23 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

Wait wait! Did you carry 80-lb bags on your shoulder up a ladder or stairs?

It was stairs.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 12:30 pm
@edgarblythe,
I remember carrying 100-lb bags of rice, but that was many, many, years ago when our kids lived at home.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 12:32 pm
I don't shy away from physical tasks, because to stop is to lose the ability to go.
Ragman

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 12:39 pm
@edgarblythe,
Not to put the spotlight on you (distasteful as that is for you), was there was no dolly?

I'm giving credit where it's due. Doing it once is a feat...twice is 2 feet! But be careful or doing this again without a dolly could end you up six feet below.

For the sake of an interesting comparison, Edgar and I are about 8-10 yrs different in age, with me being 61. I'm OK-ish with carrying my 62-lb dog about 25 feet...on flat ground. Were I to carry him up the stairs..and I'd find myself in a hospital bed or gurney - finished or furnished with a toe-tag. I'm not even in that bad of a shape (except for having a bionic device -- defib-pacemaker due to dangerous arrhythmia and cardiomyopathy).
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 01:15 pm
There is a dolly way out back. A long walk. I weighed my options and did what I felt suited my needs the best.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 06:58 pm
Addendum to the tale of my day:
When we got about a minute from home, the road was blockaded by police cars. They were guarding the fire department, members of which were dousing a car that had already burned practically to a cinder. We u turned. The favored detour, a loop past the lake, was barricaded by a parked train. I turned left. At the major road was a long line of cars. I saw after a bit that the backup was caused by failure of the signal light. We sat with nobody making a move. Finally a few cars slipped by the leader and made right turns. They then u turned and went east. The movement stalled. Finally, after an interminable wait, the light became green. We got out and barrelled for home. My milk and other foodstuffs appear to have made the journey in good condition.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 05:42 am
1045a. Just read about the pilot texting when he should have been letting down landing gear. Fortunately the mistake was discovered in time to abort the landing. Why in spaghetti's name is it so important to play with these gadgets every waking minute? I barely have the rudiments of being able to text and I don't intend honing my skill.
1046a. The girl that worked maintenance with me several weeks back complained in the office that the Spanish speaking workers communicated in that other language when doing projects with her. But I can see why they didn't think it was wrong. She spent her day talking to her friends on the phone, to the extent that a conversation with her was almost impossible.
1047a. My new lead man has bad knees. I noticed him struggling to get up some stairs. I used to be like that. That's why I told him I didn't need help with the concrete the other day. Yesterday, I gave him a gallon of mixed H30. Told him if he decides against using it to return the unused portion. Turned out it was his birthday. That worked out well.
1048a. The prostitute scandal in Colombia is likely but an episode in something that goes on all the time. But I don't read the reports about it. I picture these guys like the sailors with which I served, when we arrived in Japan and the Philippines. A very large percentage, married or not, spent their free time partying and chasing women. Why would they be any different?
msolga

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 06:02 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
1045a. Just read about the pilot texting when he should have been letting down landing gear. Fortunately the mistake was discovered in time to abort the landing.

Holy moley! Shocked
That's it!
I'm never flying again! Wink
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 08:10 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
A very large percentage, married or not, spent their free time partying and chasing women. Why would they be any different?

It isn't what they would ed: it's what they should.

What it is is that the word "prostitute" revives flagging attention to the TV screen and thus the message from the sponsor is more attentively than would otherwise be the case.

It also provides the newsreader with the opportunity to subtly display his or her attitude to prostitutes and thus be thought a decent person which is not the case with a male because he will be just the same as the guys in Columbia or in the Orient. Or one presumes so.

It's their own fault for arguing over the price after the events.

BTW--I would have put a bag of RMC under each arm so that I only needed to go up the stairs once and thus be able to get back to the couch for a snooze that much quicker.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 10:08 am
@edgarblythe,
It wasn't only Japan and the Philippines. Most of Europe was devastated, and prostitution became a necessity for many women if they wanted to eat.

Even in the late fifties when I visited Madrid, Paris, and London, prostitutes were lined up in the open to attract men. Even today, Amsterdam has women on display in windows. After all, it is the "oldest profession."
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 12:01 pm
I don't object to prostitution, but believe it should be engaged with great caution, re protection and also that pimps be transformed to business managers rather than parasites.

As for me carrying bags of concrete, I don't do it all the time. Today all I carried heavy was a ladder so I could get on the roof to repair flashing.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 12:03 pm
@edgarblythe,
I carried large bags of potting soil yesterday ed. and not up stairs. and I'm I feelin' it today.

I bow down at your feet and deem myself unworthy of the handyman title...
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 12:10 pm
Once, in Osaka, I bypassed the bawdy houses and went in what looked to be a small bar, similar to one I knew in Long Beach. The only customer, I sat in the middle of the bar, drinking beer. After a short time, I heard the man from the bar arguing with a female in the back room. They hollered. After a few more minutes a girl who might have been 25 or 30 came to sit next to me. I bought her an overpriced drink. She finally told me that for $5 American, we could go to a room. My reaction was to the negative. As I pondered her situation - I felt she did not like her job, which would be what the hollering was about - I felt sorry that she had to live that way. She too had been sizing me up. "Are you a country boy?" Apparently, she did not encounter guys like me. At least not often. We finished our drinks and she went back to the room. I went on down the sidewalk, enjoying the sights.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 12:12 pm
@Rockhead,
You make bad cars good. I could not fill your socks, let alone your shoes.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 12:17 pm
@edgarblythe,
most of my socks have holes in them. you wouldn't like them.

and fixing cars is only fun when you win....

hope your day is warm, breezy and fun ed.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 12:28 pm
It's very nice, but predicted to be stormy in two or three hours.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 08:09 am
1048a. A glorious start, with low fifties on the thermometer and sun breaking over the homes mobile, gentle as eiderdown. The carpenters working across the street had a great fire for wood scraps disposal, yester-evening. They thought they doused it before they went home. I awoke to smoke in the air and even Punky the dog sniffed peculiarly as she slipped by me to the porch. It was not a big flame by then, but who knows how it was whipped up by the high winds that followed the rain? It was a risky act, starting such a fire on that property. The water meter was yanked over a year ago. I suppose they could have borrowed a hose from a neighbor if the flame had got away from them.
1049a. What is it about human nature that makes a person that has performed honestly and faithfully on the job turn to thievery in the last two weeks of their employment? I have noticed a bit of it most of my life, but did not pay close attention. But, here at the apartments, a ratio of perhaps 6 out of four of the departing take to sneaking out tools and related items. Generally the items are not considered gone at first, because things get moved around. Apparently lost items always turn up. Except in the two weeks or so in question. By the time you decide an item has been taken, the taker is long gone. Especially if they have not given notice. I know I am overly trusting of coworkers and that I will not change. So, I am just doing some Texas longhorn kvetching.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 10:03 am
@edgarblythe,
We're going to be "suffering" mid-eighties weather today. It jumped 20-degrees in one day from the 60's just two days ago with yesterday also being in the eighties. Summer seems to be upon us!~
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2012 05:30 am
1050a. I watched A Few Good Men the first time this weekend. Kudos to Tom, Jack and the rest of the cast. "You can't handle the truth." "You're under arrest, you son-of-a-bitch."
1051a. I don't really want to go in today. Too bad my gubmint check can't be doubled.
1052a. I oughta raise me some goats in the back yard. I bet them possums would stop getting under the house.
1053a. I put new filters and oil in the truck. Ready for inspection. The state officials brag how they don't raise taxes, but them vehicle stickers and other state services seem to edge up constantly.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2012 05:25 am
1054a. Turkey porterhouse steaks. That's the ticket.
1055a. Thinking about Ernest Borgnine today. That guy must be almost a hundred. Mickey Rooney too.
1056a. Some players on my friends network went back in Angry Birds and took away my gold crowns. I have been going through there and reclaiming them.
1057a. I cut at least half of my novel, to take a different tack. It gang aft agley.
0 Replies