edgarblythe

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 06:26 am
932a. Those who tire of my whine that I can't get all of my ebook projects to load will be gratified to learn that all but one has been successful, as of Friday, and I feel the sixth, final one, for the present, will be complete today or tomorrow. I should break out the bubbly. But I am at present out of ginger ale.
933a. I am not happy to lose my friend from work. But, he is practically delirious with joy, to at last have opportunity to use his education for other than a conversation piece.
934a. Some storms are predicted to move to our part of the nation about Thursday. Hopefully, nothing on the scope of what we have been reading about.
935a. I am bemused at the success of The Lorax movie. Films I think don't have a chance come in first, routinely, it seems.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 11:54 am
@edgarblythe,
There's an interesting article in this morning's newspaper about the cost of college getting out of reach for most middle class America. Even the college I attended now charges over $23,000/year, and most cannot complete their degree in four years, because of class cuts, and students can't meet the requirement for graduation.

It's going to be "more out of reach" for high school graduates to go to college in the future and/or end up with more debt when they graduate.

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 12:21 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I read about that too. I hope my grandkids are able to get as much education as they require. Somehow I doubt it will happen for all of them. Some, maybe.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 06:45 am
936a. Dissension at work. Now there are two of us, we have to take after hours calls on alternating week ends. My coworker says she was promised one week of three for such duty. She is oblivious of the fact, as I told her yesterday, that they put me, the part time guy, on such duty, just to keep her happy. For three years before that I was never on call. Makes her no never mind. She said that she won't be working there long if she has to do it like that. - A maintenance man, to be truly successful in the trade, must have the attitude to do whatever is necessary to keep the property running. She jumps from property to property, looking for the perfect situation. I don't think maintenance jobs like she wants are that plentiful.
937a. My grape vines kept their leaves, all through winter. So, I didn't notice until yesterday that they have begun to sprout new growth of spring. My citrus tree has had tiny orange fruit on it all winter long. I just realized that new fruit, full sized and green, is growing right beside the older fruit. These things never get sweet. I let them fall off and rot.
938a. Sal Hepatica.
939a. That new guy on Two and a Half Men is creepy.
940a. I am trying to imagine a relatively affluent woman, escaping her family and living among the homeless, in a tale tentatively called Street People. I have my own homeless experiences to draw on. Still, it's tough.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 06:37 am
941a. As a former welfare recipient, I strongly resent the movement to get people to take drug tests before they qualify. Corporations don't take drug tests before they qualify. My welfare money was to me, because my father was nowhere to be found. Actually, he was dead, but we did not know at the time. I had two brothers also getting the money. I had nine half brothers and sisters who were not getting welfare. But, my mother could not hold a job and pay somebody to care for twelve children, so, she could not earn the money to afford to stop the welfare from coming in. I was about to turn fifteen, when the money was cut off and I ended quitting school and going to work. An inlaw posted something online supporting the drug tests the other day. I made a short statement and left the site. For me, that's the end of it. Don't know how the inlaw will take it. I simply could not let it pass, unremarked.
942a. My wife figures that she will likely get Alzheimer's. She figures I may be 95 when she comes down with it. I told her I would take care of her.
943a. Methinks I need to give Punky a bath. She may be half Lab, but she hides from water. If only she liked swimming, I would take her to the lake.
944a.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 12:04 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgar, Our mother had to raise four children without a father, so we lived on welfare. However, because this country is also the country of opportunity, all of my siblings got their college degrees and were successful in life - paying above average taxes during their working life. My younger brother even became a politician in California, winning two terms in the state legislature, and mayor of his town.

After WWII, many returning GI's were able to go to college on the GI Bill which created the strongest economy in the world.

There's nothing wrong with how our governments have provided for the needy in this country; it's paid off in a higher standard of living for everybody.

Conservatives forget these truths, and now call welfare the transfer of wealth from the rich to the poor. Unfortunately, they're winning this battle, because attending college today has become out of the reach of most middle class families. That in turn will hurt our economy, and everybody in this country. It's only a matter of time.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 06:44 am
944a. Trying hard now
Feeling strong now
945a. Swimming pool has become unsafe. Cyanuric acid level too high. We will drain it monday. That's the first time in 20 years I've had such a problem.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2012 06:45 am
946a. My remaining coworker has applied for work elsewhere. But it's not the first time I was the last man standing around here.
947a. I watched Saturday Night Fever last week. I see this morning that the Disco Inferno man has died. No connection. Just coincidence.
0 Replies

adustu

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2012 06:55 am
I think I need to cheer up to do my best in my study and my work. But now I'm depressed and lonely. I shut the communication channel with the person who can inspire me greatly for reasons. We have good impressions on each other. I miss him. It seems that nothing can please me right now. I think I really need to cheer up.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2012 09:31 am
@adustu,
adustu wrote:

I think I need to cheer up to do my best in my study and my work. But now I'm depressed and lonely. I shut the communication channel with the person who can inspire me greatly for reasons. We have good impressions on each other. I miss him. It seems that nothing can please me right now. I think I really need to cheer up.

Well, you have come to the right place. I was depressed, when young and lonely. The secret is to never quit trying, to always expect the positive around the corner. Keep your body and mind active. The one needs the other to keep healthy. Be a friend to a friend and don't break promises to yourself or others. It was a slow process for me, but it need not crawl for somebody else. I am content, these days and my patience paid off. Good luck to you.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2012 11:46 am
@edgarblythe,
You wrote,
Quote:
Well, you have come to the right place. I was depressed, when young and lonely. The secret is to never quit trying, to always expect the positive around the corner.

So true! I was in the same boat as a youngster, but my whole life changed 190-degrees from the time I volunteered into the USAF for four years in my mid-twenties, worked for my college degree, got married, and had two sons.

To make a long story short, I've traveled to over 160 countries, and have friends all across the globe.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 05:36 am
948a. Gas prices. Nuf said.
949a. My oldest child just turned 39. I marvel at how quickly that came about.
950a. They just released a dozen black bellied whistling ducks into the lake where the wife and I walk. Very colorful. The water there is lapping over the top, due to constant rains these days.
951a. I have hopes that the Afghan unrest will cause America to leave that war sooner than currently projected.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 11:56 am
@edgarblythe,
949a: Both our sons are nearing the half century mark; quickly describes it well.
951a: Looks like the Obama administration is working on pulling out sooner because of the recent killings and the burning of the Koran.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 05:46 am
952a. What's up with Punky? She acts normal, but failed to eat her dinner yesterday. She was right on schedule for the routine snacks. Perhaps the sudden heat from 80 degree days played a part.
953a. Saw a story on TV. Many employers are demanding log in information for emplyees' social media accounts. I am of the opinion that very large companies can access you without that information.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 04:46 am
954a. The dog is fine today.
955a. Just learned I have to be at work Sunday for an owner's visit. Bring it on.
956a. We have a poor woman in the apartments who is slowly losing it to old age. The first time I met her, she later told the boss that I took her quarters off of the table, or bar. For over a year, nothing major occurred. The past week, she has been in the office telling that after she goes out for dinner, she finds a maintenance man inside her apartment, going through her belongings. In one of the encounters the man took seven hundred dollars. She said she is afraid to call the police. We have taken to bringing in a trusted friend of hers when there is a work order there. Also, after her last visit to the office, we changed her locks and made her think we gave up all the keys. It is not to her best interest for us not to have a key, because, she could fall down, or have a fire or something. A part of her insecurity is living alone, for the first time ever. Ah, well. Life is that way for some. Nothing I can do will change it.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 11:03 am
@edgarblythe,
The unfortunate facts of that story about the woman is that many of us has the potential to end up the same way - accusing others of stealing from us even if they are innocent.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 05:32 am
@cicerone imposter,
We get a steady influx of persons who are very old. Some have no business living by themselves, but they regard the situation as a final stint of freedom before giving in to the inevitable.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 05:44 am
957a. I just lost all of my input for the morning. Lost Internet for a few minutes.
958a. Today will be an exhausting day, going up and down a ladder. I will likely be there more hours than normal. Painting.
959a. Something happened to my computer overnight. It has been upgraded without my acting. But it is smoother and less trouble to operate. It will take me a while to figure out what happened.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2012 05:40 am
960a. Oh me. I don't want to be active today. Tired. Not ill, understand. Just ready to lie in a field of clover and while away a day.
961a. My check engine light came on.
962a. Bad weather headed here tomorrow.
963a. Ain't I a ray of sunshine?
msolga

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2012 05:47 am
@edgarblythe,
96oa ... just do it, edgar!
Go on!
And why not?
It'll do you good. Smile
0 Replies