edgarblythe

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2012 08:59 am
864a. It rained all night. Yippee! We need much more, but this was a decent one.
865a. We worked in wet conditions all week long to ready the property for an owner visit. We tried for days to stripe the parking lot. It never really got that dry, but I forced it anyway. Most of the stripes stayed down, although a few of them floated. It looks bright and impressive, after all. Then, there were dozens of little actions all over the place, most of them successful.
866a. I understand that people would prefer to cling to the status quo, these days, rather than force real change in government (dismissing the Tea Party loonies). We fear losing what we have and I fear it, too. But, the likes of Bill Clinton and Barack Obama are not our friends, any more than Newt Romney.
867a. My great grand daughter will likely be born at the end of February. She will be the first.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2012 01:18 pm
@edgarblythe,
You wrote,
Quote:
866a. I understand that people would prefer to cling to the status quo, these days, rather than force real change in government (dismissing the Tea Party loonies). We fear losing what we have and I fear it, too. But, the likes of Bill Clinton and Barack Obama are not our friends, any more than Newt Romney.

I wonder why so few of us see this?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 06:39 am
868a. All the fuss over the Clint Eastwood Superbowl ad - I had always thought from watching his movies he was a conservative. But it was a great piece of work, regardless.
869a. I expected an outcry, when I saw the one where the Great Dane was burying the cat's collar. It was a Doritos ad. Dog gives the man a bag of Doritos and holds up a sign: You didn't see nuthin. When the wife asks if the man has seen the cat, he looks at the dog, which is holding another bag of Doritos for him.
870a. Is Mitt Romney the Bob Dole of the latest election? Looks increasingly.
871a. I have said before and I say again, I have never seen the like of the inventiveness of Charles Dickens in writing a paragraph. It varies from book to book, but I refer to his best work.
872a. Each short story I put in an ebook needs substantial revision. The latest needs wholly reworked. Haste early on makes labor go twice as long.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2012 06:36 am
873a. I wonder if anybody has written a Joyce dictionary, of the type I am imagining? It would be neat to have one, tailored to each of his difficult books. Imagine reading Ulysses, with the key to each obscure word or phrase deciphered, in the order in which it first appears. Finnegan's Wake - Hmmm.
874a. It's a bit more seasonal, this week, but many plants are already budding and showing green. It's great weather for siding.
875a. I have been experimenting with a camera. Took a video of the lake. One long sweep and it was finished. My email could not load it, so I had to put it on youtube to send a copy to the family. I guess one needs better equipment, to do anything meaningful, on line.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2012 11:21 am
@edgarblythe,
873a: edgar, I would suggest you read the book "The Meaning of Everything" by Simon Winchester about the English dictionary.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2012 08:06 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I recall searching for a long time to decipher a few words, which were described as being archaic, when finally I located them.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 06:36 am
876a. Tuned in The River, the other night, on ABC. Two hour premier. Did not enjoy any of it, but made it nearly half through before walking away. Too many of these new shows are in your face with action, but have no interesting underlying story lines.
877a. I have the ebook process down. Only thing can slow me now is little mistakes, such as capitalizing the word "from" in a title the other day.
878a. Going to do an ear candle this weekend.
879a. The lake has filled up again. Lately, by the time we walk, persons have stuffed the ducks and geese with bread. They only take a little of our corn and sunflower seeds. Cheaper for us. But, the bread makes for unhealthy birds. For one thing, it's harmful to their liver.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 06:20 am
880a. Haunted by a photo I saw on a local news show, almost a week ago. A crew has been filming the story of the serial killings near Pasadena, TX, over thirty years ago. While going through one of the perpetrator's belongings (which had been stored inside an old bus all this time) they discovered a photo of a victim. There were photos of other victims. What made this one different was that he had not been accounted for. Nobody knows who it was. But, we see the face of a frightened kid, looking into the camera, moments before they tortured him to death, as they did all of those boys. Can't get away from that image.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 06:28 am
881a. It snowed in Austin, a bit. My wife saw a few flakes in Tomball, last evening. Lots of rain headed this way.
882a. At the crux of our dispute with Iran is control of Middle East Oil. It has always been that. Humanitarian thoughts are less than secondary with our planners.
883a. I have used only my best short stories for ebooks. There are several more that should be scrapped, in their present form. But, I like the concept of most and will likely revise some, this week.
884a. One of my coworkers is a native of Honduras. Last week, he was hired by a local college, to teach GED Spanish language classes, twice per week. Finally, he gets a chance to put his education to use, at least in part.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 06:39 am
885a. My first great grandchild should be born any day now. They say it's a girl.
886a. Foggy morning, 70% rain forecast for tomorrow. I would call the drought suspended, if not broken.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 12:19 pm
@edgarblythe,
We had our first heavy rain yesterday. Our lawn really loved it!
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2012 06:40 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

We had our first heavy rain yesterday. Our lawn really loved it!

We just had enough rain that I had to wade in ankle deep water to walk around the house. First time that happened in several years, seems like.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2012 06:48 am
@edgarblythe,
886a. :

Hooray!
I really hope so, edgar.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2012 01:23 pm
@msolga,
Thanks, Olga. We traditionally have had wet winters, but summer usually had enough rain to stave off severe drought. I am hoping we can return to the traditional this year.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2012 01:29 pm
@edgarblythe,
I think "traditional" weather is gone forever.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2012 01:33 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Just a few more times, CI. Then I will be in the old folks home and not notice anymore.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2012 06:44 am
887a. Hate to make this an all weather all the time thread. The guy on TV said we are due six straight hours of heavy rain into Saturday morning. My home is on such a long sloping ground that it seems impossible to flood it. But, Houston floods quite easily. Not good news.
888a. Did anybody read the news, that I am being nominated for a Nobel Prize for literature? Oh. Neither did I. Rats.
889a. The restaurant that sells triple bypass hamburgers has been asked to shut down. Seems they could sprinkle a few beansprouts on the sandwiches and bill themselves as a health food establishment.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2012 11:39 am
@edgarblythe,
As a matter of fact, there's a flood warning for TX.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2012 09:08 am
The worst rain hit south of us. Still, we have water standing, again.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2012 09:32 am
890a. I have not said a lot about Whitney Houston. In the scheme of things, it happened sooner than later, but happens to us all. Each life blooms, then fades and dies, in its own time. Acceptance. There is nothing to do for it, but to watch in the way we observe the autumn and marvel at the colors, before each leaf lets go and falls to the earth. We mourn a person's passing, but have to allow them to do so.
891. ebooks are a puzzle, still. Two submissions that look to me to be identical in format got differing receptions. So, it is necessary to go over each, to discover the missing link.
0 Replies