edgarblythe

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2011 10:15 am
694a. I think - happily surprised to work with a man from west Africa last week. He came in as a temp to help with the siding. Very personable and good worker. His speech conjures Regae in my mind.
695a. I think the local deer population is being forced into new locations. I saw four just around the way, while riding on Huffsmith, the other day.
696a. I think Emily Dickinson is nobody. But, hell, I'm nobody, too.
697a. I think gustenhavearatzenburger is just waiting for us to beg him to post more on a2k. Well, I am no beggar.
Please?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2011 12:53 pm
@edgarblythe,
Yea, I miss gus too! Please!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2011 05:43 am
698a. I think yesterday's meeting with the owners was a bit scary. They encouraged my boss to fire the newest hand, who has been there just a few months.
699a. I think the Texans football team is rather remarkable, to keep up their winning ways, despite injuries to key players. And doing it with the third string quarterback.
700a. I think the Lohan Playboy spread is pathetic. But don't let me spoil your pleasure.
701a. I think as the year closes, next year just about has to be better. But I don't have anything to back me on this.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2011 11:13 am
@edgarblythe,
701a; Our only hope is to have hope in the US economy, because that's the only game in town. The Euro is playing havoc with the world's economies, and that will shrink more economies as many more countries go bankrupt. Unfortunately, that's going to hurt everybody. Let's keep our fingers crossed, that the damage done to us is somewhat minimized.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2011 05:52 am
702a. I think Kennedy is an intriguing first name for a girl.
703a. I think it must be a political ploy, to declare Texas is moving out of recession, as I heard said on the news this AM.
704a. I think my trip to Austin has been indefinitely postponed. I will be expected to be on call that time.
705a. I think I will get chewed out for the office Christmas lights not being in sync. There are several timers. I have reset them more than once, but it just ain't happening, know what I'm saying?
spendius

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2011 08:57 am
@edgarblythe,
Is this your Great American novel ed.

I think Flaubert got to something like it in the end. I can't remember. I haven't read it. I'm not sure it has been published. A list of ideas he had picked up along the way.

The reader is supposed to pick up the general idea, the tone, the hero's way of looking at the world--that sort of thing. You don't fluff it out like I do. And I would never say which of us has the best method. The reader decides that.

Do you mean like the red lights are only supposed to come on when the green lights are off, and then only the alternate ones, and the orange lights are supposed come on in a fast sequence so that they look like they are running around the edges for 20 seconds, then all flash at once on and off for 5 seconds and then go back to running round the edges in that general manner that the behaviourists have found stimulates the part of the brain which derives pleasure from spending money, and the lights on the reins of Father Christmas's team of reindeers have to be synchronised so it looks like he's driving them fast and with a degree of urgency, and then all the lights go off and a poster comes on for 10 seconds, if that is legal under the subliminal regulations in the US, showing a house with a ladder up against it with a bloke in white overalls painting the windows, a dog on the lawn, a kiddie's plastic slide and, in large red print--"Ed's Friendly Home Maintenance Service. (from a blocked plughole to complete restoration)."

The lights in the pub window have two positions. Did you see the guy in Croatia, I think it was, it might be Serbia, who had a million lights on his house all timed to perfection. He had been working on it for six months they said and I can believe it. It looked like an ocean liner on the last night before a fully booked cruise returned to port.

The main thing ed is not to proffer any bad advice to young lads. They are sufficiently in the **** as it is without us old codgers leading them astray.

I think young lads should beware of girls called Kennedy. They obviously have idiotic parents.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2011 01:33 pm
I only have time to tend the timers as an afterthought in a busy schedule. In fact, I forgot to deal with them today. We merely want the lights all to turn on and then go off, from 5PM until 10 PM. The dadgasted things aren't cooperating.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2011 01:42 pm
I don't have any advice to give the young lads, or the lasses, either. Let them learn from their own life situations - their parents, teachers and such. I am presenting in my book, in as colorful and telling a manner as I am capable of, shared experience. If any readers wish to carry away from the experience a moral, it likely will be self generated. Of course, as Sade tells the audience, in Marat/Sade, seeds may be planted, but what the seeds are, one may never know.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 05:58 am
706a. I think the weather will be pleasant this day. 74 f. is a very comfortable feeling to the body.
707a. I think about FDR, F Scott Fitzgerald's books and Dylan's Mr Jones and then about Ayn Rand and the federal government, as bits on a Rubik's Cube, and discard the damned thing as being fatally flawed. It's about power, really, rather than being able to convince anyone.

0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 08:52 am
@edgarblythe,
708a. I think I am inclined to disagree with--

Quote:
I don't have any advice to give the young lads, or the lasses, either. Let them learn from their own life situations - their parents, teachers and such. I am presenting in my book, in as colorful and telling a manner as I am capable of, shared experience. If any readers wish to carry away from the experience a moral, it likely will be self generated. Of course, as Sade tells the audience, in Marat/Sade, seeds may be planted, but what the seeds are, one may never know.

It seems to me to be irresponsible. As Kant implied, one cannot put one's ideas in front of people unless they are defensible. Which means, in effect, that you should avoid contact with young lads. I can't speak for lasses.

You are claiming to be allowed to put ideas in front of people without accepting responsibility for them. That's at the root of the evolution debate.

The anti-IDers think the argument is about lungfish and iffy fossils and teleological speculations thereof as if any intelligent person doesn't know about that side of it. The argument is about social relations now and upcoming and they won't even recognise that let alone discuss it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 01:53 pm
There is empathy and there lessons. I don't teach lessons.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 10:14 pm
I think I know now what makes Tomball a second class town. We have an overpass, but we don't have anybody standing at it, soliciting handouts. Until we have a bum or other unfortunate filling that niche, we will continue to be a backwater place to live.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2011 05:51 am
708a. I think "No martyr is among ye now
Whom you can call your own."
709a. I think there blows a 'which of a much of a wind,' these days.
710a. I think fondly of the several volumes by Phillip Wylie that I keep in view, when I am before this computer. When I was a lost youth, he unwittingly assumed the mantle of a father figure. Eventually, we grew apart, the notion and I, but I never lost the connection with his writing. I reread his Opus 21 and An Essay on Morals over the past few years. There are those who call his thoughts dated, but, at core, they are valid, at least for me.
711a. I think the Democrats we elect are letting us down, one more time, in their "negotiations" with Republicans (read that as cave-ins).
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2011 11:18 am
@edgarblythe,
711a: The democrats are being played like a fiddle by the GOP; they are hopeless, hapless, and have no values that they can stand on.

They are all DINO's.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2011 05:58 am
712a. I think the squirrel finally cracked the pole that holds the bird feeder. It took about four or five months, I guess, without checking. I set that pole away from any trees, but, when I came home, yesterday, every bit of the birdseed was on the ground. The squirrel was feasting.
713a. I think Christopher Hitchens is on a blue sled, now, rocketing his way through the evermore of nothing. It was good to have you, big guy. Thanks.
714a. I think today will be hectic, with one coworker off and the other leaving early. But, I can hannel it.
spendius

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2011 07:36 am
@edgarblythe,
715a. I think that "I think Christopher Hitchens is on a blue sled, now, rocketing his way through the evermore of nothing" is a profoundly religious sentiment. He's a piece of meat in a freezer actually ed as any scientific materialist will tell you. You choose to represent him in a manner which must have equal validity for every other corpse in a freezer and, indeed, for every other corpse that ever existed since religion came into the world. Before religion such transcendent sentiments as that you offer did not exist. Your choice to distinguish this particular corpse as dignified beyond the others is to do with your subjectivity. You defined the atheist Heaven old boy. It's a blue sled rocketing its way through the evermore of nothing. Excellent!!

I imagine E.J. Thribb will find a few lines for the occasion after consulting Keith's mum of course.

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2011 12:02 pm
@spendius,
No, spendi, it has to do with cultural beliefs. Many Asian cultures believe in ancestor worship; it doesn't matter that they are dead. It has nothing to do with "religion."
spendius

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2011 02:14 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I think I'm mystified with that glop ci. Unless it is to remind us all of how widely travelled you are and how experienced in "many Asian" cultural practices.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2011 04:44 pm
@spendius,
You are a troll who offers nothing of substance or consequence.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2011 09:30 pm
I don't ascribe my post on Hitchens to religion, in the formal sense, but to causes mentioned by C. G. Jung.
0 Replies