Roberta

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2011 06:15 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

623a. I think I was more than a little surprised, to google the first school I attended, in 1948, to see that it has not changed in appearance. At least the photo makes it appear so. I googled some of the streets of residences I recall from childhood to discover the whole neighborhood has been transformed. Also, I played in silicon valley, when it was all woods. If somebody had told me all that wonderful land would be so demolished, I would have called them delusional.

Edgar, you inspired me to look up my old public school. Found out that it's being shut down after over 100 years.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2011 01:06 pm
@Roberta,
Google's maps and other features are amazing.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2011 01:18 pm
@edgarblythe,
I drove past my old elementary school just the other day. the historic old schoolhouse is gone. built in the early 1900s if I remember correctly. (mighta been older than that) brick building, two stories, wooden floors. replaced it with air-conditioned boxes. (not dissing the A/C mind you)

they tore down the gym as well. not sure why...
farmerman

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2011 09:00 pm
@edgarblythe,
Waitll I tell you about Saran Wrap
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2011 11:22 pm
@farmerman,
Er - Okay.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 08:32 am
629a. I think today is the annual holiday parade. It marks the arrival of the Christmas spirit to the area, since it concludes with the appearance of Santa Claus. We are skipping it, this year, due to time constraints.
630a. I think the SS people are a puzzle, to me. Each year, they adjust my check, based on my yearly earnings as a part time maintenance man. It has nothing to do with inflation-adjustments. Yesterday, I received a notice that I have recently been underpaid. My next check will reflect the adjustment, plus, the monthly check thereafter will increase by five dollars. This, they noted, has nothing to do with any adjustments that may possibly come due to inflation. I had in the beginning assumed that I would get paid the same amount, always. At tax time, they decide if I earned too much before determining if my SS money will be taxed. A few years back, I had to cough up 640 dollars.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 09:08 am
631a. I think - nice awakening this morning. Saw a hawk in the yard, taking a drink from the water I provided, it appeared. It saw my face in the window and was understandably repulsed. It was gone, after a brief stop on a nearby limb.
A headline this morning noted that there is slim pickings for migrating birds this year. So, I will put out food during the winter also. Was not sure it was the right thing to do, prior.
I think I will be in deep guacamole next summer, as the drought is predicted to intensify. No way I can provide enough water to save 19 60 foot trees.
632a. I think the TV news this morning was abominable - more so than normal. A recitation of murders, locally; digging into Natalie Woods' death; watching passive citizens get pepper sprayed as casually as one waters a row of potted plants; child sex arrests; rape - I give up.
633a. I think the brief clip of the Republican get together was a ridiculous display of whining for sympathy last night.
634a. I think I will go back to the beginning of my novel and rewrite it in the first person. At least a few chapters, to gauge the effect.
635a. I think it a bit of fascination, that I discover the odd hair, on my head, growing very long before getting outed. I found a relatively fine hair, about three inches long, hanging off an ear, not long ago. Yesterday, it was a black one near the eye. I am reverting to a chimp. I just know it.
Ragman

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 09:10 am
@edgarblythe,
OK...there's the Sig line...of the year:

Quote:
I am reverting to a chimp. I just know it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 05:56 am
636a. I think - short week. Three work days. What the heck am I going to do with myself for four whole days. Very Happy
637a. I think I prefer to write in first person. So, I am going through my novel, from page one, and rearranging it. As slowly as it has been progressing, the change may ultimately speed things up.
638a. I think I may ease up on following Once Upon a Time and Terra Nova. Once upon a Time is on a seeming endless merry-go-round that may never move beyond what it has already done. Terra Nova has no character of vision, who seems to grasp the implications of living at that point in time. Every episode is a struggle as petty as any in modern times, which is to be expected, to an extent. But, there is a whole new planet to be experienced. Nuts.
639a. I think the Philly Cheese Steak pizzas, at the grocery store, are quite odd. The sauce tastes like gravy. Had one for last night's dinner. To me, that's a round something. Certainly not a real pizza.
640a. I think I ought to listen to Taylor Swift, to find out why she gets so many honors these days.
Ragman

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 07:46 am
@edgarblythe,
I saw that special on her last night ....was it 60 Minutes? Taylor Swift is a phenomenon. She has depth, true beauty, talent, very good voice and lots of creativity. Something about her looks reminds me of Nicole Kidman (only prettier if that is possible).

She seems to understand how to pick the right people around her so that she manages her career and finances well. She's not a flash-in-the-pan, to say the least.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 06:16 pm
@Rockhead,
Our elementary school was removed a long time ago (Lincoln School), and the state took over the property. They built a new building on the site, but they also display some pictures of our school.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 05:51 am
641a. I think rain, rain, beeeeyoooooteeeeefullll raaaaaaaaaiiiiiiinn this morning.
642a. I think I have made a breakthrough, health-wise. For, perhaps, under $30. More later, after I have become certain, rather than ebulliently optimistic.
643a. I think girls just want to have fun.
644a. I think I can echo Cyrano, by demanding, "Bring me giants!"
645a. I think
Oh the Christmas sprigs
And the powdered wigs
Servants baste the fatted goose
And the lady Anne
With her spotted fan
Anticipating chocolate mouse

Hail Charlie Dickens
The pudding thickens
Can you read a shorter song
My taste buds do cry
For a moist apple pie
Oh I shan't survive so long
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 05:45 am
646a. I think I may be persuaded to vote for Obama again, provided Bush's tax cut to the wealthy is allowed to die. Otherwise, I am going for a third candidate.
647a. I think I better get that turkey thawed.
648a. I think something terrible must be going on at a neighbor's house, the one on the other side of the water company property. I saw the man, who appears to be in his seventies, out with a step ladder and his Christmas lights. Not saying there is a connection, but perhaps an hour later, an ambulance appeared at that address and took somebody away. I have not seen a bit of activity there in three or four days.
649a. I think Dancing With the Stars gets more attention than any other stable of has-beens in history. Amazing what gets ratings.
650a. I think my old hardbound dictionary will never go out of style around here. I do use the computer to look up words, but the trusty Thorndike-Barnhart Comprehensive Desk Dictionary is always within arm's reach.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2011 07:47 am
651a. I think the neighbors must be okay, now. We saw the man in his yard and they finally lit their Christmas lights last night.
652a. I think the turkey will be ready to take from the oven, just after 11AM, Central. I had pecan pie for breakfast.
653a. I think I better mow the yard. Fourth time this year. Got to make a good place for the wire deer and spiral Christmas tree.
654a. I think I may live to regret recasting my book in the first person. It's not as simple as changing "he" to "I."
655a. I think my vow to achieve perfect health this year may yet come true. More about this in January or February, when I am certain.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2011 08:18 am
@edgarblythe,
655a: Thinking positive is more than half the battle, and you're doing a yeoman's job.
spendius

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2011 08:57 am
@cicerone imposter,
656a. I think that last thought to be utterly and absolutely meaningless.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2011 09:16 am
Half full and half empty. Very Happy
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2011 09:22 am
spendi now proved he's also ignorant about health issues.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2011 10:18 am
@cicerone imposter,
I am greatly enouraged, re my own health. Premature to claim victory - yet.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2011 09:44 am
656a. I think the weekend will be rather pleasant, if chilly. I plan to decorate the yard and make a place in the living room for the tree, as soon as I finish pecking like a hen on this keyboard. Well, I don't have a beak. But, you ought to get the picture. I don't type well and - Skip it.
657a. I think I am close to conceding the season, on RJB's football thread.
658a. I think the new Mars rover, added to all the satellites and the rover already working there will provide an exciting episode - the nearest I will get to seeing another planet firsthand. I don't expect they will send a manned expedition before I kick off.
0 Replies