cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 04:15 pm
@edgarblythe,
Coffee, as with all other forms of beverage, is based on each individual's taste buds. I like mine a little on the strong side with a little milk, and no sugar.

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 04:17 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I like mine almost but not quite strong, with no additives, such as sweeteners or cream.
sublime1

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 04:54 pm
@edgarblythe,
I think that if you wanted a cup of cream and sugar you shouldn't have ordered coffee.
I think EB should get a french press. (no malfunctions)
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 05:38 pm
@sublime1,
sublime1 wrote:

I think that if you wanted a cup of cream and sugar you shouldn't have ordered coffee.
I think EB should get a french press. (no malfunctions)

I don't know for sure what is a French press. But I definitely concur about coffee.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2011 08:46 am
563a. I think the holiday has finally taken hold, in me. I awoke with the following rhyme in my head:

Merry Scary Mansion

Did the maniac mention
The merry scary mansion
Ghoulie ghouls are dancing
In the merry scary mansion

I just need to see if I can turn it into something some few readers may enjoy. Not the intellectuals or Bahhumbug sort, of course.
564a. I think with amazement that my youngest child has been with her husband twelve whole years. They are raising four children.
565a. I think with amusement of Punky the dog, sleeping on her bed, near my desk. She has always tried to shield her eyes from the light while napping. Just now, a flap from her blanket is just over the eyes and not down enough to restrict her breathing. I think she is adjusting to the new, cold weather.
Letty

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2011 08:55 am
@edgarblythe,
I think that is a perfect rhyme and it's great to see Sublime 1 back with us tattos and all. I think everyone should use Sweet and Low sugar substitute in their coffee.

Inspired by Tennyson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCGxDm75RPE&feature=related
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2011 09:24 am
@Letty,
I respectfully disagree about sweet and low, but think stevia is the best sweetener out there, these days. The real stuff, not the adulterated kind in the grocery store.

Tennyson wrote some great stuff.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2011 04:45 am
566a. I think the little monster kiddies will be out this evening. Mwahaha. Mr. Green
567a. I think letty deserves to have the best birthday ever on this fine autumn day.
568a. I think the Exercycle I brought in for my wife the other day is going to be great for me too. I find myself enjoying a leisurely ride while watching TV programs.
569a. I think Once Upon a Time is a neat show and I like the way Rumpelstiltskin figures in the plot. I do find myself wondering what they can do to sustain the part of it where the characters live in the present time, with so many oblivious of the history that landed them there.
570a. I think this will be an interesting week on the job. We have five days in which to prepare for the next owner's visit. Our new hand does not want to be there to meet him, because she has a ball game to go to. I am waiting to see how that is dealt with.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2011 10:17 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

541a. I think Once Upon a Time (Did I get the title right?) will become one of my favorite TV shows. Great first episode, last night. Only problem, my shitty TV muffles the sound. I have to strain to understand the dialog, often not understanding what is said.

Edgar, Are you referring to Grimm? I caught up with it tonight. Fascinating premise. This show definitely has some potential.
Roberta

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 03:10 am
@Roberta,
Oops. Edgar, there's a show called Once Upon a Time on ABC and another called Grimm on Fox. They're both related to fairy tales.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 04:08 am
@Roberta,
I saw a promo for Grimm, the other day. But I didn't find out which day it is showed. I have been watching Once Upon a Time, attracted at first, because the writers of Lost are putting it on.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 04:49 am
571a. I think we have a potential for animosity to develop at work. The new hand has been to school for swimming pool care - the only employee ever to have that, in our history. So, the water got out of balance, in the extreme heat, when I got so busy I didn't realize at first. When I sought to correct it, she waltzed in and took over. I stepped back a bit, to let her do her stuff. But, when she did not get immediate results, she began talking extremes and inexplicably put a lock on the gate, without giving me a key. Yesterday, I ignored the pool and went to start the siding project. She says to me, "I'm not taking over the pool duties." I replied, "All I know is, when I go to it, I find it locked. I'm not going to hop the fence." So, she hung her key in the shop. for either of us to use. She wants to control every situation, but she was not hired to be the boss.
572a. I think my daughter in Austin is having to learn new pest control. They keep finding scorpions inside the house. Her husband got stung the other day. We had them, when I lived in Rockport. Scorpions are a form of spider. I don't know how to get rid of them.
573a. I think Terra Nova is slowly becoming a better show. I plan to watch next Monday, just to make sure they keep it alive.
Ragman

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 06:42 am
@edgarblythe,
Scorpions are totally foreign to my environment, but now that I live in hot climate (not scorpion country...too moist here) I got curious, hence, this reply.

So, at the risk of providing info you may already know I figure I'll add my two cents, hoping it might provide some useful info somehow to someone who might have one of these beasties in and around their home.

Scorpion Prevention
by Mayo Clinic staff

Scorpions tend to avoid contact. To prevent chance meetings:

Remove trash, logs, boards, stones, bricks and other objects that would make good hiding places for scorpions from around your home.

Keep grass closely mowed, and prune bushes and overhanging tree branches, which can provide a path to your roof for scorpions.

Store garbage containers in a frame that allows them to rest above ground level.

Caulk cracks, install weatherstripping around doors and windows, and repair torn screens.

Avoid storing firewood inside your house.

Always wear shoes outdoors, especially around water sources, such as swimming pools and fountains.

Shake out your shoes and clothing before wearing them in areas where scorpions are common.

When hiking or camping, wear long sleeves and pants and check your sleeping bag and clothing for scorpions every evening.

When traveling in other countries — especially if you're camping or staying in rustic accommodations — shake out your clothing and bedding often and sleep under a mosquito net. If you have a known allergy to insect stings, carry an epinephrine injector, such as EpiPen.

Carefully move a scorpion. If you find a scorpion near your home or campsite, don't panic. Use tongs to gently remove the scorpion to a safer location.
Ragman

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 11:22 am
@Ragman,
Correction. while scorpions do show up here and there in TampaBay-Bradenton-Sarasota I've just read that they aren't deadly and not too common. Not to say, someone couldn't accientally release a deadly one but none of the deadly ones are native to here.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 12:05 pm
@Ragman,
The ones in Texas are about the same potency as a red wasp. The first one that got me, I tasted cotton for hours, but the pain was not so great. Once, when one climbed up my pant leg, I got stung twice. The pain was short lived.
We don't have them around Houston.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2011 04:37 am
574a. I think I may need to have a stroke or heart attack, to keep up in the family. Not long ago, a brother in law had a stroke. Yesterday, a different brother in law had a heart attack. A third brother in law has also had heart attacks. I am older than just one of them.
575a. I think fondly of Erskine Caldwell, who sometimes wrote paragraphs so awkward, I became embarrassed to read them. Some of his novels are deeply embedded in my skull, making them part of who I am. I disagreed with him in that he read a dictionary through, once yearly, one which had the words of three and more syllables blacked over. He figured a story did not need any five dollar words. Yet, I seem to be tending in that direction, myself. I believe I use less and less big words, the more I write.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2011 07:29 am
@edgarblythe,
I think no matter what the quality of the author, we learn from reading other people's writings.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 04:49 am
576a. I think the job I did yesterday is worse than replacing siding. Painted all the new stuff. Doing that, one is up and down the ladder, constantly, and twisting and waving the sprayer around at the same time. It took the entire afternoon to recover.
577a. I think circular thoughts this moment. In a daze, really. The owner of the property is coming to inspect the place on Sunday. There goes my restful weekend.
578a. I think I will visit WA2K radio and then get off line.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 04:48 am
579a. I think Friday could not have come too soon.
580a. I think The Mentalist was very good, last night, if you had the patience to watch the first half. The second half of the show built to an unexpected end. I had just yesterday morning mentioned to my wife that Red John had not yet appeared to tease Jane, this season.
581a. I think it very interesting, that Lulu, the publishing people, are sponsoring a 600 word short story contest. I am at work on it right now. I have the concept, just need the right language. (I bet the contest gets won by somebody with a nonsense story that relies on clever language but says nothing special).
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2011 09:00 am
582a. I think the yard ought to be mowed. But I also think gas ought to be 20 cents a gallon.
583a. I think the Peter Principle skipped over me. Just as well. I would not feel comfortable being an idiot all the time.
584a. I think Mercy Mercy Me ought to be the new National Anthem.
585a. I think Punky the Dog has finally decided to earn her keep as a watch dog. Twice in a week she has guarded the gate and barked to alert me of strangers trying to get in.
0 Replies