edgarblythe

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2011 09:29 pm
@Reyn,
My wife is well, reyn, although her shoulders still bother her. Her mother has dementia and is in a nursing home. Lately she has been having good days.

There is a new show by the writers of Lost. Something like Once Upon a Time - ? It seems to be based on fairy tales.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2011 09:29 pm
@msolga,
Hi, olga. I like to have people respond. That way I know if I am connecting.
msolga

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2011 09:49 pm
@edgarblythe,
Let me assure you that you are definitely connecting, edgar. Smile
As you would probably have noticed from the number of people viewing the thread.

I always read this thread, but haven't posted too many responses to your thoughts because I felt that this might interrupt the "flow", or be a bit of an intrusion, if you like ....

But now that you say you'd welcome more interaction, more of us might just respond more often ....
And then you'll be sorry! Ha. Wink
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2011 11:15 pm
I think ... My days on A2K are drawing to a close. But then again that is a thought I've had since the beginning.
msolga

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2011 11:17 pm
@Ragman,
Why do you say that again now, Ragman?
I'd like you to stick around.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2011 11:58 pm
@edgarblythe,
You'are definitely connecting, Edgar. I read your thoughts every day.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2011 06:53 am
351a. I think it odd that I eat butter as much for my health as the fact that I love it, while other folks avoid it like poison, out of health considerations.
352a. I think tree cutting is a growth industry, at least in this state. You see them everywhere, not trimming, cutting it all to the ground. Significant tree loss will be a future factor, when determining heat. Hotter summers in store.
353a. I think I need a big lottery win, before Perry becomes the president.
354a. I think I may have outsmarted the squirrels which frequent my back yard. They have been raiding the bird feeder and knocking it to the ground. Yesterday, I put the feeder on a metal post, as far from the trees as I possibly could. At the same time, I have been putting squirrel food out - but, the greedy fools have to try to have it all.
355a. I think 911 is important, but so are Oklahoma City and countless other acts of insanity. So, when I pause to reflect on it, I have much else to ponder. (Does my final sentence put me in the Peons of Praise thread?)
msolga

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2011 07:16 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
351a. I think it odd that I eat butter as much for my health as the fact that I love it, while other folks avoid it like poison, out of health considerations.

I'm interested in the part about you "eating butter for health", edgar.
Could you elaborate, please?
I also eat & like butter, because I much prefer the taste to margarine, or maybe because a considerable part of my childhood was lived on a dairy farm ...
But I didn't actually think (because of what we are constantly told by "experts") that it was a particularly healthy thing to do ....
Ragman

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2011 08:21 am
@msolga,
Personally with all that I have read that's been researched about margarine, I'd never eat or recommend it to anyone. Our bodies see it as plastic nutritionally and can't process, so it stores in vein walls and contributes to artherosclerosis (sp?).

Whereas, with butter, with an eye towards consuming a limited quantity, I see nothing overly risky. Show me someone who has had their health ruined by a pat of butter on a muffin or on toast. I do not cook with it when something calls for a quantity of oil, however. I use Smart Balance spread when I add anything to a baking recipe or something that requires more than a pat or two. The choice is easy on when I have ears of corn. It's butter for me, but light use.

I will admit to using CoQ10 supplement too.
Reyn

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2011 08:46 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

My wife is well, reyn, although her shoulders still bother her. Her mother has dementia and is in a nursing home. Lately she has been having good days.

That's good!

If the shoulders still remain a problem, a medication like Celebrex might help (my mother has that same problem).

I do expect my mother to be going to extended care within the next year, too. Her decline seems to be more dramatic as the days go by.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2011 09:00 am
@Ragman,
Yes, I think I see things pretty much the same as you, Ragman.
I view margarine as a completely unnatural synthetic product. How can consuming that possibly be good for you?
Mind you, I haven't exactly conducted some deep scientific study to reach that conclusion. Wink
It just sounds "right" to me.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2011 10:44 am
@msolga,
The funny thing ablout butter is that i donteat it at homebut when i travel.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2011 10:48 am
1.Butter is rich in the most easily absorbable form of Vitamin A necessary for thyroid and adrenal health.
2.Contains lauric acid, important in treating fungal infections and candida.
3.Contains lecithin, essential for cholesterol metabolism.
4.Contains anti-oxidants that protect against free radical damage.
5.Has anti-oxidants that protect against weakening arteries.
6.Is a great source of Vitamins E and K.
7.Is a very rich source of the vital mineral selenium.
8.Saturated fats in butter have strong anti-tumor and anti-cancer properties.
9.Butter contains conjugated linoleic acid, which is a potent anti-cancer agent, muscle builder, and immunity booster
10.Vitamin D found in butter is essential to absorption of calcium.
11.Protects against tooth decay.
12.Is your only source of an anti-stiffness factor, which protects against calcification of the joints.
13.Anti-stiffness factor in butter also prevents hardening of the arteries, cataracts, and calcification of the pineal gland.
14.Is a source of Activator X, which helps your body absorb minerals.
15.Is a source of iodine in highly absorbable form.
16.May promote fertility in women.9
17.Is a source of quick energy, and is not stored in our bodies adipose tissue.
18.Cholesterol found in butterfat is essential to children's brain and nervous system development.
19.Contains Arachidonic Acid (AA) which plays a role in brain function and is a vital component of cell membranes.
20.Protects against gastrointestinal infections in the very young or the elderly.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2011 10:50 am
http://bodyecology.com/articles/benefits_of_real_butter.php
Here is a great article about butter.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2011 10:58 am
As for milk, I sometimes get the 2%, but most often I get whole milk.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2011 11:22 am
@edgarblythe,
The funny thing about butter is that when my wife and I go out for breakfast (not frequently), and I order pancakes, they put a slab of butter on top which I remove before adding syrup. No more! I've been missing out on all that "good stuff!" Embarrassed Crying or Very sad Embarrassed
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2011 12:33 pm
Also, when I eat meat, I don't cut off the fat. Never have. I read just recently that the Nazis, knowing fat free diet is a killer, fed the Jews fat free. I can't prove that statement, but it fits what I want to believe, so I will treat it as a fact, until proven otherwise.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2011 02:34 pm
During her childhood, they preached to my wife that butter is bad and margarine wonderful, so that, now, even though she has read up on it, she still chooses margarine.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2011 03:01 pm
@Ragman,
Margarine and any other product relying on hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated oil is a killer.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2011 04:48 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

355a. I think 911 is important, but so are Oklahoma City and countless other acts of insanity. So, when I pause to reflect on it, I have much else to ponder. (Does my final sentence put me in the Peons of Praise thread?)

No.
0 Replies