edgarblythe

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 04:57 am
121a. I think my thinker is stuck this morning.
122a. I think Google+ will eventually be useful to me. For now I have not gotten any relatives to join.
123a. I think dysfunction is the rule of the day.
124a. I think that whoever said it was correct, that the word looked up in the thesaurus is never the right one.
125a. I think I think I need to get a good pie from somewhere for this evening. Blackberry, or peach.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 10:12 am
@edgarblythe,
Any fresh fruit pie will solve what ails you in this difficult phase on thinking.
Smile
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 04:59 am
126a. I think that idealism is great, if constructively directed. Unfortunately, idealism lately seems a loose cannon.
127a. I think the electronic storing of information also is great, but that there ought to be paper or other backup for the most vital stuff.
128a. I think they will soon be finishing the road construction in front of my neighborhood. It will be nice to have a smooth and wider road to drive.
129a. I think the storm heading into the Gulf will strengthen quite a bit by tomorrow night. It remains to be seen if it will generate much rain this far to the north of the expected landfall.
130a. I think much of our dated literature, such as Gone With the Wind, Huckleberry Finn, Uncle Tom's Cabin and Of Mice and Men, deserves to be read these days. If we can view certain phrases and concepts in the light of history and changing mores, as we mostly can do, what's the harm?
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 10:03 am
@edgarblythe,
edgar, Did you know that Margaret Mitchell sponsored many blacks to attend med school? I think that story needs to be better known by Americans.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 12:04 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Many of these authors were not racists. They just used the vernacular of the times. (Not taking up for every single one, but just certain of the great writers). I haven't any idea what Margaret Mitchell thought about black people, beyond her novel, but it is important to remember that the prominent man in the story (Rhett) wanted very much to have Mammy's respect. Stephen Foster wrote Old Black Joe to fulfil a promise to a black man (that he would write him a song). So, we just ought to take it one case at a time, I suppose, rather than offer blanket approvals or condemnation.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 12:20 pm
@edgarblythe,
I wasn't trying to imply that most were racists; that Margaret Mitchell was exceptional during a period when blacks were looked upon as not equals.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 12:23 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Not accusing you or anyone here of saying that, but addressing what many people seem to think, in retrospect, these days.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 04:53 am
131a. I think the storm in the Gulf will deliver no rain at all to Tomball, Texas.
132a. I think spending cuts would be great for the USA budget, if it were not all on the backs of the workers.
133a. I think confusion is the operative word for the way the IRS handles my account. One year, somebody from there held up my refund for six months, for reasons I never did get. This year, they accused my wife of not filing for 2009. We sent back the appropriate form, along with a copy of our forms for that year. A few weeks later, we got a letter threatening jail time. We went to their local office. After sitting for three hours, we were informed that we need do nothing further until we hear from them again. It takes six weeks to process everything.
134a. I think my lawn mower is about shot.
135a. I think August will be a long month. 31 days, in fact. But it may seem like 33 or more.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 11:18 am
@edgarblythe,
It's always been my personal policy to never fool with the IRS, no matter how stupid their threats and mistakes. I remember one year where they counted my IRS withdrawals twice, and told us we owed more income tax. I had to make copies of all the withdrawals for that year with explanations why they were wrong and we were right. They still wrote back and said we owed the taxes. I had to repeat about five times why we didn't owe any more taxes; they counted one withdrawal twice.

That took several months to settle, but I knew I just couldn't just ignore them.

I don't think they read what we send them, or they don't understand the language. It's very frustrating, but we can't ignore them.

Our taxes are very simple now, because it's on the short form. That's not to say they will not come back and tell us we owe more taxes. That's always a possibility with the IRS.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 11:46 am
@cicerone imposter,
I agree, CI. Which is why I get help to file mine, as simple as they are. Don't want a possibility of a mistake.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2011 06:35 am
136a. I think the storm brought south Texas less rain than we had over my house this morning. We got a very good rain, which lasted long enough to do some good, while the storm dissipated just as it was set for landfall.
137a. I think my friends who are ill deserve a break.
138a. I think gun control may be a good idea, but it will never happen.
139a. I think a horse is a horse, of course, of course, unless the horse is Mr Ed.
140a. I think the foods and chemicals we ingest are a primary cause of much aberrant behavior as well as deadly illness.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2011 09:20 am
141a. I think a debt deal has been assured all along. Bringing it down to the wire makes the public desperate enough to accept whatever screwing-over the government throws at us.
142a. I think the real misery of summer lies just ahead. Every day in our forecast calls for at least a hundred degrees this next week.
143a. I think I am jealous of Roald Dahl's children's books. After reading one such book, I will be, like, Doh! Why didn't I think of that? With the exception of the one about the giant (forgot the title).
144a. I think the asteroid chasing Earth around the sun ought to be the object of a probe. It should be most interesting.
145a. I think there is a magic quality to eggs, bacon and biscuits, on a Sunday morning, that reconnects one with the age-old wedding between man and his environment.
snood

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2011 10:43 am
@edgarblythe,
I think that if egg's bacon and biscuits don't have magical powers to restore us to better harmony with the cosmos, it don't matter 'cause they're so goo-o-od!

I think I am so disappointed in the overall ability of our government to function for the greater good of this nation that I can't describe it. My belief in government to actually work was already small, but this latest "debate" has shrunk it more
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2011 04:32 pm
I think I have to share an extra thought this day. I just learned that my daughter has risen from the rank of manager to general manager. I don't know for sure what w00t means, but w00t!
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2011 04:47 pm
@edgarblythe,
Ya must be a proud parent; Congrats!

Oh, and WOOT!

The promo sounds like from department manager to over-all manager.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2011 04:51 pm
@cicerone imposter,
As a first step, she went from managing one restaurant to four. I don't know how much more it will change for her. She lives in Denver, so I get my information second hand, mostly.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2011 05:21 pm
@edgarblythe,
When I worked for Florsheim, we had Store Managers, District Managers, and Supervisors out of the Chicago office. Not all districts were equal, and more geographically established. Florsheim also had Managers for chain stores like Nordstroms, Thompson, Boland, & Lee in the southern states, and independent clothing stores where Florsheims were sold.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2011 05:25 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Denver is a whole different ball game from Texas. Which is why she elected to move there. In Texas, the chain only has franchises. In Denver, the company owns everything.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2011 04:50 am
146a. I think Mondays ought to come on Wednesdays.
147a. I think Saturdays ought to come on Thursdays.
148a. I think the debt deal is nuts. There ought to be a provision for paying our bills that does not need such a vote.
149a. I think I better shop today, seeing tomorrow is mrs edgarblythe's birthday.
150a. I think I need to get some flooring and insulation, to go toward finishing building the rooms on the front of my home.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2011 04:56 am
151a. I think it doth stink, ye budget deal.
152a. I think the recession will in fact be prolonged by such shenanigans.
153a. I think the "prime lending rate" must refer to what it takes to buy a good cut of meat these days.
154a. I think the hurricanes this year are a particular worry, because they may be plentiful and we desperately need the rain, but not a tree on top of the house.
155a. I think the online attempt to nominate an independent candidate for president could get pretty interesting. The biggest problem will be in finding a good enough candidate to run.
0 Replies