edgarblythe

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 04:58 am
96a. I think my wide is about to recover from the police chase. Driving home from the local Walmart, she got in the middle of it. A man who had been following a girl was reported to the police. She was advised to pull into the Wlamart parking lot. When the cops moved in on the man, he broke away in his car and took off down Kuykendahl. His car knocked construction barrels around and he broke through a couple of construction barricades, before driving into a parking lot near my home. He tried to hide out, but they nabbed him, shortly. The procession passed my wife, who had no place to pull over. The chase went through the new road construction to get by regular traffic.
97a. I think the new project at work is to begin making up solar screens for the most exposed windows.
98a. I think today will be a marathon work day, simply because I hope to get away by noon.
99a. I think the thread on favorite movie scenes is becoming a favorite with me.
100a. I think Van Dyke Parks' album called Song Cycle is great.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 07:24 am
101a. I think I rely on my spellchecker overmuch.
102a. I think the murders in Oslo demonstrate that it is the depth of one's passion, rather than ideology, drives one to commit insane acts.
103a. I think there will be a very botched version of the debt ceiling resolution in the near future. I fear for the rising numbers of hungry and homeless in America. It is utterly insane that 1% of the population has most of the wealth and prosperity.
104a. I think Gran Torino is a grand movie.
105a. I think sunscreens are essential to summer living, almost as much as A/C.
snood

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 07:44 am
I think that the unspoken aspect of the debt ceiling negotiations is the animus against the president that makes the republicans irrationally oppose anything that Obama proposes.

I think that a true artistic representation of my disgust with the teaparty rightwing would be a portrait of all of them bound and gagged aboard a rickety boat going straight to a fiery hell.

I think that I have to abandon the AA meeting I was singlehandedly bringing to a local prison twice a month. It is too hard to summon the motivation, and I get no support from my home group.

I think if not for my wife I would really feel adrift sometimes. I sure lucked out in this marriage deal.

I think a food hangover can be almost as bad as the other kind of hangover, for me.

I think a bulldog puppy can be one of the sweetest, cutest things in existence.

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 07:46 am
@snood,
Gotta love them bulldog faces.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 03:15 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
104a. I think Gran Torino is a grand movie.

My wife and I watched that last year. Excellent show. Good performance by Eastwood and rest of cast.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 08:35 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Has anybody told you you look remarkably like Howdy Doody?

Not anymore. Wink
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 08:44 am
106a. I think Rick Perry may be more of a force in the coming election than people are just now willing to concede. Good-bye to the world as reasonable folks would like to have it, should he get elected.
107a. I think Punky the dog is getting spoiled. She begs for a Sunday morning biscuit, just for the sake of having one, but only walks around with it, in and out of the house, until, finally, she buries it in the yard.
108a. I think Amy Winehouse was a good singer. I did not know anything factual about her, prior to her death, however. So, now, I can't bring myself to want to get close to her work. Perhaps, in time, that attitude may change. I loved Janis Joplin. After her death, it took a dozen years or more before I could enjoy her music again.
109a. I think my grandson is a chip off the old block. Me, his mother and him are so absent-minded, it is a miracle we still have any possessions left to lose.
110a. I think there may be a tropical storm around here in just over a week. Time to start planning, just in case it gets bad. We started buying food that need not be refrigerated a few months back. Now is the time to stock up on water, charcoal and the like. The water company installed a generator for emergency situations, such as prolonged electrical outage. It runs on gasoline. I hope they have the foresight to stockpile enough to keep it going for a week or two.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 09:32 am
@edgarblythe,
About a year ago, my wife started to date the canned goods in our pantry. Smile
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 09:52 am
@cicerone imposter,
I have known many a person, not always elderly, to keep food beyond the expiration date. Medicine too. Not a good practice.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 11:54 am
@edgarblythe,
No, it's not; we're probably guilty of that too until my wife threw out all the old stuff and started dating all the stuff in our pantry. What I found most surprising is how long some canned goods remain edible - some into 2014.

I also look at the "expiration" dates on food stuff before I buy; a good habit.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 12:19 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Yes. I once took home from the store a box of breakfast cereal that already was two years beyond the expiration date.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 12:23 pm
@edgarblythe,
Another good idea to look at the shelf life beyond the expiration date for food stuff on the net. Some fresh food products have a few days beyond the expiration date, and some even make recommendations on freezing and how long that will extend the life of the product.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 02:12 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I once took home from the store a box of breakfast cereal that already was two years beyond the expiration date.

Yeah, you have to watch that. I know make it a practice to check expiration dates in the store now, before I buy something.

At least, if the item has such a date.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 04:34 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I have known many a person, not always elderly, to keep food beyond the expiration date. Medicine too. Not a good practice.

I'm not sure, but I suspect that keeping food past expiration is potentially worse than keeping medicine. food can start getting taken over by bacteria. Medicine just starts getting less potent.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 04:41 pm
@snood,
Yeah, perhaps.
I knew a lady that complained of bugs and moths in her apartment almost daily. She wanted us in there spraying every time she saw something. Afraid we were going to kill her, we got Orkin in there. Then, with the Orkin man, we went through her stuff and culled very old pasta and other boxed and bagged food. He took some ornamental, dried plants outside, saying it was a prime breeding spot for the moths. He refused to spray more, but he advised her to get mothballs, despite the fact she had said early on she would never use them. But she had clothing all over the bedroom and hung in the closet, a lifetime of keeping old stuff, it seemed. Finally, she got mothballs. It was the last time she called us to kill bugs.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 04:48 pm
@edgarblythe,
A friend/colleague knew Janis. They went to school together for what must have been a miniscule time back in Texas. The friend was a bit of a hellion herself. Also a dramatic story teller, but in her case, I can believe this (or not). The story was that the friend and Janis went shopping in a store, looking at stuff. Friend said she liked some pants. Neither of them bought anything. After they were out of the store and away from it, Janis pulled out the pants from her bag, for the friend.

I heard this after I already liked Janis.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 04:53 pm
@ossobuco,
Some people think nothing of petty theft and yet consider themselves essentially moral. I have known many such over the years and at around age 8 was turning that way myself. Fortunately, I now see the error of such thinking.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 04:58 pm
@edgarblythe,
I only knew the friend, who would be described now as a piece of work. I semi liked her and she was quite sharp. Based on other stuff, I'm not doubting her on this one, very much anyway. Me, I've never been a thief. I have enough other faults.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2011 04:46 am
111a. I think the advice to the president, on Google's news page, is sound. It suggests the president demand a clean bill, raising the debt limit, with no Republican/Democrat amendments at all, as it should have been in the first place.
112a. I think the drought may return this week. Actually, we still are listed as being in severe drought anyway.
113a. I think it is time to de-flea the dog again.
114a. I think pork ribs may be my Waterloo. But, what a delicious way to go.
115a. I think people of all persuasions ought to recognize the utter futility and the insanity of ending innocent lives, all in the name of a cause. The instant such mayhem is even considered, the cause they espouse becomes dishonored and unworthy. They join the ranks of the monsters of history.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 04:49 am
116a. I think I can forgive. But I must act to protect myself, should the need arise.
117a. I think yesterday's rain was a pleasant intrusion. I bet we got over an inch.
118a. I think today will be a work day with fewer complications than normal. But I speak before the event and my job is a drama queen.
119a. I think it's time to deworm Punky again. Don't anyone mention it to her, or she will make me find her. I read yesterday that a dog can learn to understand, if my memory well serves me, about 150 words.
120a. I think I am about tired of watching antenna TV, when the picture seems always breaking up at just the moments words vital to my understanding are said.
0 Replies