edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2011 02:45 pm
Last kid I payed did a terrible job, took forever, and when I had to go to work and leave him, his parents came to demand his money. I think not.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2011 03:18 pm
@edgarblythe,
Not as much as you might think. It burns fast. Sort of cheap fuel.

Not kidding, that is how it is surmised (or was, when I was paying attention to all this) but your house is a different kind of fuel.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2011 03:21 pm
@ossobuco,
The surrounding foliage is dry and ready to erupt the moment a good spark appears.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2011 03:31 pm
@edgarblythe,
This is off the wall, as I've no idea if succulents can live in Texas -
just a suggestion to look it up.

Do oleanders live there?

I had a client whose house was saved by the expanse of Queen Anne Oleanders in front of her house. Rest of the large property burned to a crisp. They are (were) famously resistant plants. I assume there was a fire department in the area, some miles away, but it was a very desolate place and no fire truck could or would get to it.. I figure she had fast burning but not high fuel planting and then that stand of oleanders, and that the flames petered out.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2011 04:18 pm
We have lots of oleanders at the apartments. The stand of oleanders out front froze to ground level the past two years, but grew up again without replanting. I haven't thought of planting them at home.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2011 04:20 pm
@edgarblythe,
The Queen Annes are the big white ones.

This is of course anecdotal, but within my own experience.

There were lots of stories re oleanders being bad business for uses as kabob sticks, cattle feed.. I don't know all the pros and cons of that, but serious folks were serious about the negatives. I can see judicious use.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2011 04:22 pm
At work they are mostly pink. A few are red. The ones that froze were touted as dwarfs, but they still overgrow the beds in optimal weather.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 04:44 am
41a. I think I shall never see
A day the bulls should run with me.
42a. I think I am about to spend a bundle on the wife's car. We are taking it in shortly. Too long a story for now.
43a. I think some of my friends do not post enough these days. One reason I don't like facebook. Plus, virus shared videos are popping up on my friends' pages over there. I am jealous that none is on my page.
44a. I think there will be some surprised drivers this week. After voters voted out the red light cameras, a judge voided the vote and Mayor Parker had them turned back on. I bet lots of $75 tickets will go out at first. Of course, if people approached a light with a notion of stopping when the lights turn red they would not have to be concerned.
45a. I think spending a dollar or two for a Texas lottery ticket is no sin. I used to spend more than that for tobacco and alcohol. The state badly needs the revenue.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2011 04:51 am
46a. I think the alligator that I discovered in the park yesterday is the likely cause for some geese being missing. Hopefully the park personnel will catch it and move it, now that they know about it.
47a. I think almost $500 in car repair bills will keep me sufficiently broke for a spell.
48a. I think Maugham's Human Bondage is a still powerful tale. I read the book many years ago, but only watched the film of it on Sunday.
49a. I think there is a good chance the budget negotiations will stall still further. Probability of raising the debt on time? Who knows? I'm no Nostradamus. In fact, Nostradamus was no Nostradamus.
50a. I think mr tallyman may need to tally me banana at work today.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2011 04:54 am
51a. I think that myself replacing a condenser out in the hot sun, so that my boss can keep cool while I work in the hot sun is the ultimate in irony. Nevertheless that is on the agenda for today.
52a. I think the final Harry Potter film may break a record. It has already earned $25 millions in advance ticket sales.
53a. I think I may survive the summer by eating watermelon. I have some of it first thing when I walk in the door, on work days. It's very hard to keep hydrated, walking around a hot parking lot, trying to get jobs finished in time to go home.
54a. I think it's a mistake for schools to quit the teaching of cursive writing. I read that that is what is about to happen in some places. But maybe I am simply stuck in the past.
55a. I think splitting California into two states will not happen.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2011 04:39 am
56a. I think I will quit watching Two and a Half Men, when it starts again. Especially since I have spent years avoiding the show the new actor was in prior.
57a. I think today will be a bit better for work, since the two main activities will be indoors.
58a. I think the debt ceiling will somehow be raised. Don't know how, but I can't believe the insanity will totally prevail.
59a. I think we ought to give Ronald Reagan a decent burial.
60a. I think I should give up this raven for a decent writing desk.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2011 09:48 am
@edgarblythe,
edgar, Have been enjoying your daily diary; please keep them coming.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2011 11:53 am
@cicerone imposter,
Hi, CI. It's a wonderful exercise for me. Don't know that it does anybody else any good. But, I'm happy.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2011 11:58 am
@edgarblythe,
edgar, That's the bottom line; working to keep oneself happy is tougher than most people think. Keep up the diaries; I'll read all of them, because I enjoy reading them. In addition to reporting on your activities, and how you perceive them, and the other thoughts that you share are great - even a bit poetic at times.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2011 12:01 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Thanks, CI. You are a good man.
Reyn

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2011 08:37 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Don't know that it does anybody else any good. But, I'm happy.

Of course, it does others good! If Edgar's happy, I'm happy! Surprised Wink
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2011 09:20 pm
Very Happy Smile Wink Cool Laughing Razz Mr. Green
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2011 09:32 pm
@edgarblythe,
I have missed this thread entirely. I see it started in 2007. Glad someone rutched it up to the top.

Ill catch up on your thoughts , they are alaways entertaining and often require me to stop and think em over for fuller impact. Id keep my boat diary up to date but I sold my boat.

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2011 09:34 pm
@farmerman,
You could make another boat.
farmerman

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2011 09:47 pm
@edgarblythe,
once in a life is enough. I cant work with people who want to make my idea full of changes so that it isnt even mine anymore. If I had the money, Id recreate my last boat , she was a dear and sheared through the water like a filet knife. She was stable and sexy looking for a small live-on. I know the family that bought her and they keep sending me pictures of their larvae on board and I cringe how they turned her into a barge with all the crap they let their overindulged kids and smothered grandchildren keep on board.

I didnt part well with her. I needed business money and hadda sell. I do want her back. MAybe extortion
0 Replies