Reyn

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2007 12:32 pm
How very true!

Good reading....
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 07:09 pm
951. I sometimes support men of violence, or at least the causes that made them violent. I am too much the man of peace to emulate such activities, but, it is more complex than "the man was a terrorist because he took action." All of our history books and fiction celebrate the men who physically struggled with the bad guy- -only rarely, the guys who non violently triumphed. The reason for this is, we know all too well that the forces of evil power and repression have no respect for the Thoreaus of this world. Hence, the USA in WWII. The terrible struggles related to the killing fields of Cambodia. I abhor violence against my fellow humans. But, sometimes, there has to be a Hero to stand tall in the face of it all.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 07:17 pm
i think we should start a petition, get edgar to rethink this 1000 posts and i'm done nonsense, keep the thoughts coming
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2007 07:54 am
djjd62 wrote:
i think we should start a petition, get edgar to rethink this 1000 posts and i'm done nonsense, keep the thoughts coming

Hear, hear! Where do I sign?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2007 08:09 pm
952. At my job, I see so many older folks at the end of their run, so to speak. It gets disheartening, because they want to hold on so badly, and they know once they leave here, it is all the way downhill. One woman, who will be made to move out is on a spiral that can't have a good end. She is thoroughly paranoid. A vast conspiracy has its claws in her, and will never let go. Today, she was sitting in her apartment, reading. When she got up, so she relates, something poured out of the air vent and got all over her. It had a foul odor. She got out of there as quickly as she could, but, the substance remained on her, as evidenced by the smell. We, the assistant mgr. and I, went in, and smelled nothing. The woman became more and more agitated. No way was she going back in there. She said she wanted a doctor, to see if he could discover what that stuff was. Trouble there, she could not leave her toy poodle alone long enough to do it. So, she stood there, weeping. The asst. mgr. suggested she come in and sit in the office, until something could be figured out. Once inside, the woman used her cellphone to dial the fire department. Within minutes, there were two fire engines and a rescue truck in the drive. They spoke with her for at least an hour before they left. Shortly after, the woman got in her F150 and drove off. Today was but an episode in a long running series. I think the company will ask her to move out after this. It breaks my heart to witness such a sight, and it is not that unusual.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 07:07 pm
Ah but if the wind don`t blow no more
Oh my friend
I dreamed of a world
Where the willow don`t bend
Where the sails aren`t curled
And the flags stay furled
Where the sands don`t sift
And the clouds don`t drift
So the sun can make a rainbow`s end

But if the wind don`t blow no more
Where went the answers we`re searching for
Why are we waiting What are we waiting for

My dreams drove like a kite in the wind
The kite dispelled
We`d gone to a world
Where every breeze had failed
Where the breath of guns
Were the only ones
Could move any air
In the atmosphere
Destruction and death were widely hailed

I awoke desperate for the wind
Oh my friend
I sprang from my bed
To see a group of men
Clawing for their breath
Contemplating death
For the wind scarcely moves
Any more It proves
How nearly real the dream world had been

Oh my friend
Where are the answers we`re searching for
Why are we waiting What are we waiting for
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 09:24 pm
954. July, 1966

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee307/edgarblythe/Sylvia_and_Mitchell_July__1966.jpg
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 07:55 am
.....and in a few more years, it'l be the "Summer of Love".
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 06:22 pm
955. Last year, I bought a DVD of Woodstock and watched it for the first time. I was pretty disappointed with all of the performers. The only high points for me, were in the way the crowd handled themselves in that kind of situation. No crowd control required. Beautiful.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 07:48 pm
As I grew older, my perspective of the 1960s has changed. I now recognize how much hype was really going on. That includes all the bruhaha around all the well-known concerts that we've all heard about.

When it comes down to it, the 60s were no different than any other decade when comparing, in my opinion.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 09:22 pm
To me, the 1960s were like a magic window; one had only to lean over the sill, and grab one's dream. But, most of us missed and came away, empty-handed. There was such a promise in the air, despite the despair over a hopeless war, with the civil rights movement having many of its greatest successes. But, it all changed very rapidly, once Nixon got elected. The window closed. We became more reactionary, turning to the likes of Reagan and George Bush 1st. The Roosevelt legacy was dismantled. The era of Herbert Hoover has returned.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 07:52 am
Well, everyone looks at the 60s from their own personal point of view, and, in your case, also from an American one.

In my example, it was from my own experiences of what revolved in my life, and what I remember seeing, hearing, especially on various media. I'm not really talking about politics.

In the years since then, I've heard reminisces from so-called "history experts" and I feel much too much importance has been placed on the events that occurred in the 1960s.

I'm sure that to those who lived in the 1920s, 30s, 40s, etc, from their own perspective, they were special times, as well.

A lot of things have been said that the 60s were something very different than other eras. I don't really agree with that.
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 05:53 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
To me, the 1960s were like a magic window; one had only to lean over the sill, and grab one's dream. But, most of us missed and came away, empty-handed. There was such a promise in the air, despite the despair over a hopeless war, with the civil rights movement having many of its greatest successes. But, it all changed very rapidly, once Nixon got elected. The window closed. We became more reactionary, turning to the likes of Reagan and George Bush 1st. The Roosevelt legacy was dismantled. The era of Herbert Hoover has returned.

engaging writing this - hope you keep going, Edgar
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 05:55 pm
Endymion wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:

engaging writing this - hope you keep going, Edgar

I plagiarized my own writing to come up with this.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 07:52 pm
957. 1964

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee307/edgarblythe/Mitchell_1964.jpg
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2007 08:53 pm
958. A preliminary drawing done by my brother, to illustrate some of my writing.

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee307/edgarblythe/short_story_collection.jpg
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2007 10:31 pm
959. It often seems that everything I know is irrelevant and beside the point.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 07:55 am
edgarblythe wrote:
959. It often seems that everything I know is irrelevant and beside the point.

The way my life has gone often feels that way, too.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 05:01 pm
960. I watched a film, in part, today. Now, I want to find it on DVD. Missed the beginning and end. I looked it up. The Beast of War, about a tank crew and the Afghanistan resistance against the Soviets. I didn't know the actors by name.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 05:06 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
960. I watched a film, in part, today. Now, I want to find it on DVD. Missed the beginning and end. I looked it up. The Beast of War, about a tank crew and the Afghanistan resistance against the Soviets. I didn't know the actors by name.

Edgar:

The Beast of War (1988)

Director:Kevin Reynolds

Writer:William Mastrosimone

Release Date:29 September 1988 (West Germany) more
Genre:Drama / History / War more
Tagline:War brings out the beast in every man. more
Plot Summary:During the war in Afghanistan a Soviet tank crew commanded by a tyrannical officer find themselves lost... more

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cast (Cast overview, first billed only)
George Dzundza ... Daskal
Jason Patric ... Koverchenko
Steven Bauer ... Taj
Stephen Baldwin ... Golikov
Don Harvey ... Kaminski
Kabir Bedi ... Akbar
Erick Avari ... Samad
Chaim Girafi ... Moustafa (as Haim Gerafi)
Shoshi Marciano ... Sherina (as Shosh Marciano)
Yitzhak Ne'eman ... Iskandar (as Itzhak Babi Ne'Eman)
David Sherrill ... Kovolov
Moshe Vapnik ... Hasan
Claude Aviram ... Sadioue
Victor Ken ... Ali
Avi Keedar ... Noor

link
0 Replies