edgarblythe

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 03:19 pm
@georgeob1,
A kind word wipes away the rancor of disagreement.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 03:53 pm
When I bought my truck, I already had a Ranger. This one was for mrs edgarblythe. As circumstances went, in my retirement, we decided this truck would be our sole transportation. She drives it to work every day. It sits high, has chrome wheels, is purple, is an automatic. One of the things I did when I first got it was replace the radiator. I figured I would be set, radiator-wise, for as long as I kept it. Several years later it is leaking again and I failed to get a warranty on it. I am puzzled that everything on that radiator, aside from the coils, looks like vinyl. Why did they they quit using metal? There is a hole about four inches from
the top on one side. I feel like metal would have lasted. I have replaced a few radiators by myself, in the past, but I have the philosophy that hiring a good mechanic is cheaper and lasts better, these days. So in it goes tomorrow.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 04:23 pm
@edgarblythe,
I wondered about that sometimes too whether doing it yourself really saves money, although I quit doing stuff when I retired.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 04:46 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I used to do some mechanic work, but I am not naturally inclined to that work. I often lost the use of my car for days at a time. Professional mechanics are faster and the good ones stand by their work.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 04:52 pm
@edgarblythe,
When I served in the air force back in the fifties, I owned a Ford. It had a simple engine that even I could work on. Now days, you open up the hood, and it's packed with wires going all over the place. I wouldn't know where to begin. Thank god I no longer have to.
We take our cars to one shop in town, because the owner is fair with his prices and their work is dependable. Mike, the owner, has one shop in our town, and one in San Jose. You know he's good, because his repair shop parking lot is always full.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 05:04 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I have used the same mechanic since the late nineties. I hope he never retires in my lifetime.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2016 07:34 pm
Talk about service. I dropped off the truck at seven. He called at nine to say it was ready. It was just a radiator, but how many good mechanics have such quick service?
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2016 07:45 pm
@edgarblythe,
My wife called the auto service place, S&S Tire, today, and made an appointment to drop off her car at 9am to have her car serviced. Regular maintenance stuff like oil change and tire rotation.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2016 08:00 pm
So nice to have a car that runs good. I have had a few real lemons.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 08:51 pm
Normally I eat three or four apples in a week. But I found some small organic ones in a zip bag that have me eating them all the time. They are as juicy, flavorful and crisp as any I have had. To bite in is to feel the juice gushing, the meat satisfyingly crunchy. I plan to look for another bag tomorrow.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2016 08:21 pm
I've backed off from the political threads, because I am not certain where the non politically aligned can be effective. I think we have to hold back as the two major parties totally screw up everything they touch. I hope there are some pieces left to pick up next election cycle.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2016 08:26 pm
@edgarblythe,
I gave up on our politicians, and only hope they don't screw up our economy.

I found the latest Trump action to save Carrier from moving to Mexico as a laughable matter. Now, most companies in the US will threaten to open shop in Mexico to get tax advantages and government subsidies.
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=federal+budget+pie+chart&view=detailv2&&id=2C648C0C84940F21620950521EEAC1EC1B4CDF55&selectedIndex=0&ccid=sLwKehxr&simid=608004419309800894&thid=OIP.Mb0bc0a7a1c6b3e859d1baa190ef9b32fo0&ajaxhist=0

For a guy who claims to have graduated from Wharton, he's not very smart on the subject of Economics.
Quote:
Trump dumped
The Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania is known as one of the top business schools in the country. Knowing this, Trump would flaunt his degree from the university in an attempt to build up his resume on issues dealing with economics. With just over 30 days until voters head to the polls, a large group of current and past students at Wharton, along with members of the faculty, have released a scathing letter in opposition to a potential Trump administration, as reported by The Hill on October 6.

http://fortune.com/2016/03/24/trump-tariff-trade-china-mexico/

Whose going to pay for all that?

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2016 08:55 pm
@cicerone imposter,
It will become a symbol to his adoring fans. Facts be damned, for, they will think, the man is magic.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2016 12:11 am
I did not know it could snow in Hawaii.
https://scontent-mia1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/s480x480/15232261_10202413489773826_379065881711956637_n.jpg?oh=85afc0f1fac7797daf8190b0fd4786f1&oe=58F8987B
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2016 11:53 am
We went from drought and semi autumn conditions to winter at last, just this week. We get a constant rain, mild and steady, and temperatures in the fifties. In a matter of days it could dip into the thirties. I don't really like being cold, but I am grateful to have temperatures that are lower than eighties.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2016 07:39 pm
The cool weather has affected Rocky's appetite., His belly has become a bottomless pit. All day long he begs and even demands food. I try to space it out so he thinks he is getting a lot, but actually just gets a little more than he got in the warm weather. It's going to be a long winter for him if we can't find a happy medium.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2016 07:50 am
This is me and Rocky
http://assets.amuniversal.com/df0e0b5096de0134ffb9005056a9545d
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2016 06:22 pm
I spent way too many years floundering, only producing a handful of good/competent manuscripts. When I received a contract for one I call Beyond the Dark Water I finally joined the ranks. I cannot afford to be other than humble about it. Only a small number of books achieve popular success. I look on this as a stepping stone as I work to complete a much longer work. I know much more about peddling now. Beyond the Dark Water will be published in mid April.

This work required self examination, from birth to the present and it held surprises of which I had no clue in the beginning. So if it makes no money or achieves no public recognition it is still a great success, from my point of view.
ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2016 07:18 pm
@edgarblythe,
good in many ways, and April isn't far away..
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2016 10:09 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I had intended doing it under a pen name, but some of the personal problems that pretty much dictated it are resolved. No need, now.