cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2016 05:33 pm
@edgarblythe,
I looked up Mollala Oregon on the map, and it's not too far from Portland where my nephew used to live. He now lives in Honolulu Hawaii. We have visited him at both Portland and Honolulu.
The funny thing is, he keeps his Portland cellphone number in Hawaii.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2016 05:36 pm
bump
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2016 05:38 pm
@ossobucotemp,
ossobucotemp wrote:

I relate with your daughter as I lived in a so called dangerous neighborhood (actually was) for a year in the more dangerous part and decades a few blocks away. Sarai Ribbicoff was killed on my small street. I'm adding this to the earlier post, so I won't go investigating spelling.

Is her neighborhood known as dangerous? The place I lived in in the early seventies is now very posh, home of a lot of internet folks. I liked it better before.

Meantime, my lifetime favorite cafe, The Rose, has been eliminated, a place I used to think of as my office away from home.

It's hard to estimate now, since violence is everywhere, or so it seems, except where it isn't. Plus all the violence between people who live together. It gets hard to even read about.

I missed this post. My daughter lives in a complex that was supposedly cleaned out of the bad element. But no place can be totally safe.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2016 05:40 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

I looked up Mollala Oregon on the map, and it's not too far from Portland where my nephew used to live. He now lives in Honolulu Hawaii. We have visited him at both Portland and Honolulu.
The funny thing is, he keeps his Portland cellphone number in Hawaii.

The brother in law from Molalla is the one died last night. He was an interstate trucker before retirement.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2016 05:46 pm
@edgarblythe,
I've often wondered what the life of a truck driver would be like. I have driven from Chicago to California during my youth, and remember picking up a sailor who helped my drive from Utah to California. He was going to San Diego. I've done my share of hitch hiking while in the air force, and wore my uniform. It really helped. This was back in the fifties. We don't see the military wearing their uniform any more. At least not in our area.
We don't drive too far any more. We did take the bus and train to Yosemite last month which was really fun.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2016 05:55 pm
My sister rode along with him, after they were married.

The first time I hitched from Texas to California, I rode with a trucker almost half of the way. I got to know his family in California. I would have been a trucker then, myself, except I knew myself well enough to realize I would likely fall asleep at the wheel and kill us all.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2016 05:55 am
Election day be here. As Leonardo Dicaprio said in Titanic, "Climb up on top and hold your breath at the last instant."
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2016 12:50 pm
I had hit a snag writing The Novel and could just advance it a sentence or two at a time. In truth, I did not know what I wanted to do with that stretch of narrative. So I began a short story (The Good Clowns) that involves a serial killer. After making a good start on it, I went back to my book and made a breakthrough. Back on track.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2016 01:00 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Election day be here. As Leonardo Dicaprio said in Titanic, "Climb up on top and hold your breath at the last instant."

Can I breathe yet?
glitterbag

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2016 01:54 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

We don't see the military wearing their uniform any more. At least not in our area.

On the military bases closest to me, the military are asked not to leave base in uniform. But that's just because of heightened security concerns, However, since I'm so close to the Naval Academy and the middies have to be in uniform when they are off Academy we do see them around Annapolis and in the stores.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2016 02:28 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

edgarblythe wrote:

Can I breathe yet?

You might need to breathe in a paper bag.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2016 07:11 pm
I have been doing an alternative treatment to myself almost two weeks. Sometimes it has me energetic; sometimes feeling tired. I had read that blue lights on equipment upsets something in a person, adding to insomnia. I put silver duct tape over the ones on my TV and computer. Yesterday we bought a nice light blanket to sleep under. I felt so comfortable last night I slept straight through. Not a bit of insomnia. First good night's rest in a few months.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2016 05:06 pm
The alarm did not work this morning. As I picked it up and realized it was totally screwed up, mrs edgarblythe jumped out of bed, concerned she would be late for work. I was still lying there, monitoring her actions by the sounds, when the alarm went off. I got up and put on the coffee pot, still marveling how real that dream seemed.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2016 05:29 pm
@edgarblythe,
I sleep well almost every night, getting at least 8 hours. My wife is lucky to get 4 hours.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2016 07:04 pm
I spent the day building walls and shelves in the add on in front. Was not ready to quit , except it was too hard to go on after the sun went down. I was cutting outdoors, to avoid getting sawdust on everything.

Somebody gave me some nice material, so I got right on it.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2016 02:25 pm
@edgarblythe,
Perhaps the Blue light thing is working !

I find that the main variable affecting the quality of my sleep is the amount of physical activity I get. I work out regularly and that appears to make a big beneficial difference.. Indeed I find that, as I get older, I need more than 8 hrs sleep when I get a hard workout. I suspect business travel is wearing precisely because one spends a lot of time sitting (in meetings, airports and aircraft, etc.), and have begun setting aside time for mini workouts in hotel facilities and local fitness centers, when I can find them. It helps a lot.

Anyway, there's no arguing with whatever works!

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2016 05:56 pm
@georgeob1,
Another element could be the cool weather finally got here. I have felt so much more comfortable of late.

I finished shelves today that cover a wall (The walls in that direction on the add-on are just seven feet). My Alley Oop comic strip collection filled eleven feet of shelf. It's the first time I could get it permanently out of the boxes. My work is handicapped by Rocky, who loves to catch me in the yard and wrap his front paw around my ankle so that I can't take any steps, and then he jambs his chew toy against my leg. I don't get angry, don't kick him away. I either humor him until I can get free or take away the chew toy and throw it across the yard. He is the kind of dog that does not get enough stimulation from living in the confines of the yard, with just a 74 year old man for a companion.

Tomorrow, I will close in that room, that has the new shelf. I can make it all secure before opening up a door into it from the main house.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2016 12:01 am
One of my daughters and her husband took me to lunch today. Sort of a combined Thanksgiving/birthday. They were unable to come by in September. We went to a nice place in The Woodlands. Mrs edgarblythe stayed home, as one of the three Thanksgiving meals we had at various places did not agree with her. We had nice steaks, Caesar salads and wine. They told me they are considering moving to Maui in about a year. They went there to be married and have not gotten over how nice it is in the islands. He would have to leave a lucrative vocation, which I hope he is thinking it through before acting on it. I got to see many relatives this holiday, but not my son, who lives in Muskogee. Maybe next year. Hope any who read this have had a nice holiday, too.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2016 08:20 pm
@edgarblythe,
Hawaii is like paradise, but it costs big bucks to enjoy it. We were there earlier this year.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 03:03 pm
@edgarblythe,
I hope you had a nice holiday as well Edgar. We did and you were one of the things for which I was thankful - even though we often disagree. That's pale stuiff compared to the music and thoughts.