edgarblythe

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2016 07:13 am
Last night I dreamed of a conflict between myself and a group of men. I have no recall of the dream's beginning, just the part where I stood confronting a half circle of men. Then the focus became myself and the center one. We clashed and I jumped in the bed, waking myself up. As I lay, hoping to get some more sleep, I realized my dream was about a short story I started the other day, involving a group of suspects and the crime of serial killing. The group in the dream was unrecognizable, because I have not established personalities and even the identity of the killer. I don't think I woke my wife.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2016 07:14 am
bump
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2016 07:54 pm
What a day. I spent four and a half hours working on the neighbor's house, putting insect bombs in the attic and overhangs, killing two or three wasp nests. Then caulking all the cracks and holes across the entire end of the building at the frieze board level. We caught the wasps by surprise and got them all, but three or four sentries who waited till nearly the end to attack. We killed them all, but not before one stung my back. I can't guess how many trips I made up and down the ladder. These devils are so persistent and clever - Even though it seems like we got them every one, I have to wait and be certain.
Ragman

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2016 09:43 am
@edgarblythe,
What sort of reactions do you have to those bites?

Not to sound like a mercenary but did they compensate you appropriately?
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2016 09:55 am
@Ragman,
She is my age, so I charged her a little. Not as much as I would a stranger. I actually was stung twice. Before the wasp, one of the great bees that seem to live a solitary life in the ground finally had it with our activity and stung my back also. Neither sting bothered me much. I have never been allergic. This morning, you would not believe I had been stung at all.
Insects are incredibly aware. Consider that the sentries watched us and were smart enough to attack my back, where I was defenseless. The bee also.

On another topic, there was a gun fight just outside my youngest daughter's apartment yester evening. One man exchanged gunfire with four men. One side got in a Corolla and sped away while the other ran in the opposite direction. I don't think anybody was hurt and nobody was arrested.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2016 10:28 am
@edgarblythe,
The old west being repeated.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2016 02:21 pm
@edgarblythe,
Glad you had a chance to help someone worthy and appreciative.

Speaking of which, we've hired a local handyman to do a few tasks to our new place which we've moved into in FL 1 week ago. Change of a light fixture in kitchen area and some shelving in my master bedroom closet. Pleasant Jamaican accented guy named Stan.

I'm glad you're daughter was ok and no bullets were in her vicinity. That sort of thing can happen anywhere but...?
ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2016 03:03 pm
@Ragman,
I relate with your daughter as I lived in a so called dangerous neighborhood (actually was) for a year in the more dangerous part and decades a few blocks away. Sarai Ribbicoff was killed on my small street. I'm adding this to the earlier post, so I won't go investigating spelling.

Is her neighborhood known as dangerous? The place I lived in in the early seventies is now very posh, home of a lot of internet folks. I liked it better before.

Meantime, my lifetime favorite cafe, The Rose, has been eliminated, a place I used to think of as my office away from home.

It's hard to estimate now, since violence is everywhere, or so it seems, except where it isn't. Plus all the violence between people who live together. It gets hard to even read about.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2016 03:05 pm
@Ragman,
Doesn't matter where you live. People who want to settle arguments with guns are in every sip code.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2016 03:07 pm
@Ragman,
To me, all that is the fun part..
report as you will - I'm interested.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2016 11:08 am
For about three days the women opening the daycare for the day spotted a man in the parking lot. He always walked off and was not seen during the day. Then one day he walked in the office and thanked the office staff for allowing him to sleep in the courtyard. He left and nobody saw him for about a week. Then one morning they found him sleeping in the courtyard. This time they called 911 (Last time they called them the police took their merry time). 911 saw immediate results. They caught the man and told him how bad it would be for him if he was caught there again. Turned out, they knew this man already. They said there were three more like him in Tomball.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2016 03:17 pm
Lost another brother in law to cancer last night. Of seven relatives and inlaws with cancer, six have died awful deaths.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2016 03:57 pm
@edgarblythe,
Sounds like it's the environment.
ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2016 03:59 pm
@edgarblythe,
rest in peace, brother in law
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2016 04:21 pm
@edgarblythe,
So sorry to hear of this and other losses in your family. As you know my history, I'm always encouraged when I hear success stories and humbled by those that weren't so fortunate. Medical science is improving but not fast enough for some.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2016 04:34 pm
@Ragman,
I've been battling with kidney failure, so understand how health issues are important issues in our lives. I have lost several friends to cancer and other health issues, so it's a constant reminder of how important good habits must be followed. My doc said no liquor, and that really is difficult, because I enjoyed my glass of wine with my meals.
Ragman

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2016 04:37 pm
@cicerone imposter,
It seems the longer we're on this earth, the more brushes (either personally or in family or friends) well have with cancer or some serious health issue.

Keep the shiny side up!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2016 05:23 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Sounds like it's the environment.

Houston, Dallas, Molalla Oregon, Corpus Christi -
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2016 05:25 pm
I said seven. Actually, it is eight. One sister in law. Not sure how rough it will be for her yet.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2016 05:26 pm
Thanks for the kind words.

Speaking of alcohol, I saw a story about a one hundred year old woman last week. She said she drinks six tonics a day.
0 Replies