farmerman

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2015 09:06 am
@edgarblythe,
Ive been battling stage 3 prostate diagnosis.
My first PSA numbers were relly high so I called a frien who is a urologist. He asked me about my meds and any infections I hd. (I was taking meds for a serious "Walking pneumonia" SO he said, your numbers are high, wait a couple months.
3 months later my PSA was at 13. . My friend said, lets kust watch it bfore we do anything more intrusive (MY doctor wanted me to go for a biopsy)

Three separate PSAa later my PSA profile is now at 2.

I cured my diagnosis by doing nothing
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2015 09:07 am
Oh, my point is, I think that mwdical science often has no clue
Ragman

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2015 09:36 am
@farmerman,
As you know prostate cancer is a whole different sort of progression than most types. It's typically not very aggressive...and docs know now to take a wait-and-see approach rather than invasive or chemo or other treatments for best protocol.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2015 09:37 am
@farmerman,
Some doctors seem to think one size fits all. In a case like my brother's, chemo is no good option. In fact, the doc told him before it began he would die in a year. The chemo ravaged his body. The cancer in my opinion was accelerated by it. He was a limp body for months, talking to imaginary people, popping hands full of Tylenol because the pain meds he got from them were not enough.
Ragman

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2015 09:39 am
@edgarblythe,
How long ago was that?

Sadly, some Hemo-Onco docs aren't all on the same..or the right page.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2015 09:45 am
He died April, 2009.
Ragman

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2015 09:53 am
@edgarblythe,
FWIW, in the last 6 years Hemo-Onco protocol and treatment has advanced. I'm not trying to act as fan-boy to AMA medical system, as you know what my approach is and has been. At least, your brother's Onco doc gave it to him straight about the odds of survival and timeframe.

Not that it's much of consolation about how cancer research has now advanced. If they would consult with cancer sufferers in a much different manner, it'd be much more humane.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2015 11:28 am
My view is that a cure looks like the Salk vaccine.

Ragman

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2015 12:02 pm
@edgarblythe,
Perhaps that view might need a bit more nuance. Cancer is a much different illness than say is polio. The nature of cancer is, I think, a complex disease - a metabolism gone haywire due to some sort of attack on immune system cells ; whereas the disease of polio..has not such a nature.

Some cancers have a 'cure' whereas some cancers do not ... and perhaps, will not.

While some cancer treatments have a cure, those treatments work for some cancers but do not..and perhaps accelerate other types. Medicine makes errors and then corrects them, hopefully with proper R&D. In fact treatment for my type of cancer was discovered in another treatment of a different disease and was applied to my lymphoma and was discovered as working well.

Nope, there's no cure as of yet for my type of cancer (mantle cell), but there is remission.

Have I made any sense?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2015 12:04 pm
I've read all that about cancer and yet I have an extremely negative opinion of medical science.
Ragman

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2015 12:21 pm
@edgarblythe,
As do I, so I'm supportive of your view. I lost my mom to cancer in 1967...and in those times, the treatment was pretty primitive and barbaric. Also, about 18 months ago, I lost a sibling at age 78 to cancer (and Alzheimer's). In my sister's case, she refused any suggested treatment..as Alzheimer's had already taken its toll, as well. The cancer suffering was relatively short and merciful to keep Alz from causing her any more added suffering.

I've had the good fortune of being on the right side of cancer treatment and positively experienced the current state of medicine. I possess a more current and in-depth view as a patient. That is not to say that you haven't, especially 'cause I know that you've done alternative stuff for your own cancer scenario and been successful.

If my cancer returns, I'll probably be a lot more negative; however, that may not be reflective of its merit/value on the whole.

Lots can be said for employing healthy alternative medicine pursuits, including proper nutrition, exercise and activities.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2015 12:28 pm
I'm sorry to be putting out so much negativism seeing you have been there re cancer treatment. I need to tone it down.
Ragman

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2015 12:39 pm
@edgarblythe,
Thanks for acknowledging. You and I go way back and we've had various degrees of discussion around this topic. I'm not trying to convince you or be a fan boy of AMA medicine or of its positives..as much as just to inform you about some successes I've had. Our beliefs in alternative medicine is pretty similar. And, as well, my dislike of some medical practices and demagoguery of some docs is still there.

Back to watching a good bio special on Fleetwood Mac.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2015 11:42 pm
https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xat1/v/t1.0-9/11267176_670246293107700_9012417512646297389_n.jpg?oh=3f7e5b7a7d9edee9abccc1f47113b8a6&oe=565AD05F
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2015 10:07 pm
When I came home, yesterday, there was a banner beside the bank of mailboxes, exhorting residents to donate to the owner of much of the property enough money to repair the streets. I was a bit miffed. They don't have a neighborhood committee to see to our needs, because the one we had was never legally registered. It disbanded when most residents quit paying dues. Now, instead of organizing a proper committee, they want us to send just money. I have been paying my dues without fail for 18 years, while the streets have steadily deteriorated. In fact, somebody else put a note on the bulletin board to say the same thing. I don't know what will be the outcome. The banner disappeared within a few hours of the time the responding note was posted.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2015 09:40 pm
My neighbor, her friends and I, were talking about forming a new neighborhood association, with me at its head. Every time I started to call the head of the defunct association to inform him of the plan and solicit help and information, I took a step back. This morning, I wrote down the things I needed to say to the man and picked up the phone to call him. But it flashed through my mind how busy I would be and how many problems there are. It would be as though I had unretired. I disposed of the paper and put away the phone. Next time I speak with my neighbor I will tell her I can't do it.
FBM

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2015 12:43 am
@edgarblythe,
Probably a wise choice. I'm supposed to be on summer vacation right now, but I thoughtlessly agreed to do some things for different people, and now I'm busier than I normally am during the semester. I need to learn how to say 'no.'
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2015 09:02 pm
Walked out in the back yard to begin a new wood project this morning. Rocky ran ahead as I ambled through the unmowed growth. When I neared the shed, I caught a side glance of the dog picking up something and looking purposeful as he went back around the house with it. I was curious, but not so that I had to follow after him. After a bit, I found I had to go in the house to turn on the electric to my saw. I went while Rocky was too busy to notice. That's when I found a dead rat where he dropped it, near the porch. It was a biggie. I found an empty coffee can, put some diatomaceous earth in first and then put in the rat. By the time I shook up the can and placed it in the garbage, Rocky came around, immediately aware that his rat was gone. He looked everywhere for it. I never told him the truth.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2015 10:10 pm
Six years ago tonight, I was in Vegas and it was just a few hours after my daughter's wedding. We had been there long enough that by that time I was ready to come home. We had rented a car, in part just to see if, at our age, we could make such a trip. Had no problem, except we were too tired to make it straight through and had to rent a room. We had stopped near Albuquerque to play slots and won $300 in about an hour's time. The nearer we came to Texas, the more the sky was alive with lightning, the kind that spreads all across the horizon. In the morning, it rained the rest of the way down. Since the big trucks had no mercy and, not slowing a bit, plowed through the water, covering up our Kia, I drove fast, too, after a bit. I worried we might hydroplane or something, but I preferred that sort of driving to being under water all the way. I wouldn't do it again, unless we could be more leisurely about it.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2015 01:32 am
Crap, it's 3:30 AM EST an I'm finallyfading, I'll be back later. zzzzzzzzzzzz
0 Replies