ossobuco

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2015 01:25 pm
@edgarblythe,
Here you go...

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2015 01:31 pm
I put up a video, didn't see it show up, tried it again, then saw it be on page 309 twice. So I deleted the last one.

I await the denouement..

ah, there it is.

I guess we are in Bump land by now and I'd not noticed.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2015 01:33 pm
I seen it. Surfin' Bird. I bet if I played it at top volume that would scare the bird off.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2015 01:46 pm
@edgarblythe,
What a trauma for both of you. Are you OK?
Do you think the bird got injured at all?
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2015 01:58 pm
@Ragman,
The bird is just as sassy as ever and I am not going to mow anymore for a while. As for me, I needed the exercise anyway.
Ragman

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2015 02:06 pm
@edgarblythe,
My heart would've been racing.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2015 02:19 pm
@Ragman,
It's an odd thing with me: the longer I work hard the better I feel. Once, when I was younger, I had to take three refrigerators up some stairs, all on the same afternoon. At the end of it, I felt better than I did when I started. (Naturally, I moved them one at a time.) Razz
Ragman

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2015 03:59 pm
@edgarblythe,
Mr. Green Laughing cool!
glitterbag

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2015 06:26 pm
@Ragman,
I'm speechless!
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2015 02:30 am
I think it's very satisfying to put an asshole in his place. It's a long story, but the asshole in question is one of the first "friends" I made after arriving in Korea. It didn't take too long to discover how much of a twat he was and still is. He once criticized one of his female classmates in my office (in Korean, before I could speak the language well enough to know what was going on) so harshly that she cried.

We lost contact for a long time, mainly because I seriously didn't like him. But yesterday, he sent me a message and asked me to proofread/edit his Ph.D dissertation. I agreed, but quickly noticed that he'd plagiarized several pages of work. I called him on it (by text message) and said I wanted nothing to do with him or his work ever again. What a twunt. I'm 99% sure he's going to submit the plagiarized work, since the deadline is tomorrow.

Now I have to consider whether or not to use indirect channels to alert his Chair and/or examiners...hmmm.
Ragman

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2015 06:02 am
@FBM,
interesting story but what is this connected to? Was this comment meant for another thread?
FBM

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2015 07:03 am
@Ragman,
Not connected to anything here. I just couldn't find a more appropriate thread. Consider it as coming from left field.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2015 07:21 am
I would alert somebody. Is there a way he could retaliate?
Ragman

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2015 07:23 am
@FBM,
It's OK, really. With my first cup of coffee and one eye open, I wasn't quite awake so I thought it was me.

However, I did find the anecdote kind of interesting while standing out in left field smelling the daisies.

Build it and they will come!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2015 09:28 pm
The brother in law fighting cancer update. Before beginning chemo, they will take some of his stem cells, to be put back after the treatments have ended. Don't know more than that.

Ragman

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2015 08:09 am
@edgarblythe,
My sympathies to your B-I-L and to your family. For those going through it can seem like the torture of the damned. I had to learn about this for my own cancer situation as currently I'm in 100% remission from Lymphoma. If in the future my cancer returns (50-50 shot within next 5 years), I'll have to consider it for myself, too.

Stem-cell implant therapy can be very successful and offers a great possibility of finally beating this disease. Making it through, though, takes everything you got; however, the road through the process is very harrowing.

For those who might be unaware of the stem-cell transplant rocess, I'm outlining it here:

They have to reduce your immune system to nothing before they implant your stem cells. Once they're sure that has been done, they build your immune system back up with your cells. During that time, they need to keep you hospitalized and isloated, as it takes a massive toll...(possible colds, fevers, flu..and infections are likely), but they are on top of it with counter-measures.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2015 08:15 am
None of my family but him has been through this. But I know from my brother Sam's experience how rough chemo is. His started with a tumor on a lung, that was inoperable. The cancer spread throughout his body for over a year, while the treatment went on. It never helped a bit, but it was all the doctors said they could do.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2015 08:57 am
An acquaintance of mine went through a stem cell transplant quite a while ago, probably one of the early ones. I wasn't around at the time, met her later, but heard about it. She had stage four breast cancer and it was 'the only chance'. She went alone to the northern US hospital, as her husband had some commitment he couldn't get out of. She described the immediate reaction to the transplant as living hell., a lot of her body cramping up in the hours afterwards.

That was about twenty years ago. I'm presuming the medical world has fixed the cramping problem by now.
She's doing fine.
Ragman

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2015 09:02 am
@edgarblythe,
That must have been hell. Lung cancer is still a pretty tough one for the Hemo-Onco docs.

In general, cancer treatment (depending on the type) has advanced by leaps and bounds ... even in the last 5-year-timeframe. Chemo meds are quite varied and depending on which type can either have no symptoms, to mild, moderate symptoms, all the way to quite toxic ones.

My type of chemo was very tolerable...(no hair loss, no nausea, no side effects currently other than some ankle swelling for a day or 2 post-treatment).

In fact, I'll receive my maint (preventative) chemo dose in 1 week. I still have them every 2 months - in and out in 5 hours. While being treated, I read a book. I get some pretty mild tiredness..and that's about it. now. Hopefully, I won't have a relapse. If I do, I'll either be looking at that stem-cell transplant ... or opt- out of conventional medical treatment and find an alternative.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2015 09:06 am
@ossobuco,
It's light years more advanced including the psychological treatment part - much more human and successful.

For example, VA medical system's stem-cell transplant process (would have to fly to TN) won't accept a patient for stem-cell transplant unless they come with a support partner. Within treatment at VA, it's either 4 to 6 weeks, I seem to recall. Quite different protocol as compared to even 5 years ago.
0 Replies