cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2014 03:48 pm
@edgarblythe,
Hi from Cordoba Spain. We're on our forth day of our tour, and our visit to day Toledo was quite an interesting one. We visited the Synogogue and the famous painting by El Greco. It was a long travel day from Madrid to Cordoba, but no complaints from anyone. Tomorrow is our panoramic tour of Cordoba.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2014 03:55 pm
Hi, CI. Great to know you are well and having a great time.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2014 07:20 pm
At times my computer loses then later on regains the copy/paste function. When I play games the right click to make a character drop a bomb or go fast often does not work. I get about three out of ten correctly functioning clicks. I wonder could it be the mouse instead of the computer? I doubt it, but I guess I will get a new one and see what happens.
Ragman

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2014 08:46 am
@edgarblythe,
Off the top of my pointy head, I'd bet on a bad or aged mouse.

As for a intermittent copy/paste malfunction...do you use your keyboard for doing that (Ctrl C/Ctrl V)? If you use the kybd that way, it needs replacing too.

BTW, on average I need to replace a keyboard about every 4 or 5 years. I've gotten 8 years out of some and as little as 4 years out of another. I clean out (compressed canned air) my keyboard regularly. BTW, I never use those keyboard condoms. If the mouse is worn out, it could be likely the kybd is too.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2014 01:10 pm
@Ragman,
I tink I run down and get a couple. I just needed encouragement to give it a try. Thanks.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2014 08:54 pm
That is, I will pick up some on the way home tomorrow.

Got a resident that had washer/dryer problems while the lead man was still here. He replaced them with appliances from an empty apartment. Right away, she complained about the washer. By then, it fell to me to respond. The washer had a clogged suction line, which I cleaned, but I gave her a better washer to make her feel that she was gaining from my actions. This morning, she called to say they both were not working right. The washer had quit running and the dryer took too long to dry. I spent an hour trying to get those things to malfunction, but both worked just right. I wrote that on the work order. I pretty much guarantee we will have repercussions tomorrow.
glitterbag

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2014 09:20 pm
@edgarblythe,
Edgar, when I retired I started another career as a domestic goddess. I don't know what settings she is using to dry, but when I toss in items on the normal dry cycle, the dryer shuts off as soon as the lightest items (think ladies daintys) are dry. This drove me nuts until I figured out that not every load dries the same way. Heavy towels need more time than sheets. She can always reset the dryer for another 10 - 20 minutes to make sure things are dry.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2014 10:00 pm
@glitterbag,
She said she needs two or three cycles to dry her clothes, but the way she told my boss and my boss told me, she likely didn't get the washer to spin out enough water. When people expect the worst out of an appliance, they make it self fulfilling, in many cases. I had a resident complain about her dryer over and over. Finally I got her a new one. I took the dryer she complained about home and used it for four or five years. One complained about her refrigerator and she was right. I had to replace it. I gave her one that was about two months old. She said it behaved just like the old one. Well, I needed a new refrigerator for a different resident, so I bought the new one and gave it to the complaining woman. It was one hundred percent identical to the other one, but, she saw this one come out of the crate. That crate made it better than the last one. Razz
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2014 10:41 pm
@edgarblythe,
Your understanding of human quirks is a good skill that can be used in life.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2014 03:02 am
@edgarblythe,
I have a million stories about laundry nightmares. When I decided my teenagers were making dirty laundry at the rate of 4 people per day, I decided to make them do their laundry. Mom and Dad glitterbag each worked full time, so to avoid doing 4 loads of laundry, I made sure the kids had enough clothing to make sure they had plenty of towels and underwear to last at least 10 days. What I didn't anticipate was that adolescent boys either don't care about clean clothes or they will take several showers a day, with a complete change of clothes, so much so that they would poach our towels and we wouldn't notice until it was time to get up, shower and then search for a clean towel to dry off.

My enlightened response was to make each child responsible for the items they soiled and decreed our linen closet off limits. My hope was that they would avoid wearing clothing that had been worn before, thus keeping enough towels, underwear, jeans and shirts clean so I didn't have to do 4 to 5 loads of laundry when I got home from work.

Genius right? Well I thought it was working well until my washing machines started breaking down. Even though I explained in great detail how to separate and balance the loads, my cherubs would stuff a crazy amount of clothing into a washer, and my washers would burn out in 4 years. The other thing I learned, was if I wanted them to actually fold their clothing, I would resort to ironing their jeans, which they hated like poison. Trust me, I only had to iron a few shirts or spray starch and crease their jeans and they would fold their clothes in fear I would send them to school well groomed. They couldn't allow that, so they learned to get their laundry into their room before I desecrated their teen casual persona.

Didn't save the washers, but I avoided being chained to the washer, or spending hours washing, drying, and folding kids clothes.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2014 05:43 am
My wife has always insisted that she alone does the laundry. In a family of six, that kept her pretty busy, after she worked all day. I try to compensate by doing other tasks, such as dishes, cleaning the floor, cooking, etc. She actually becomes angry if I mess with her washer.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2014 03:19 pm
I wondered for years why the FDA does not actively go after colloidal silver, since they try to shut down most any cure that is cheap. I had heard of the "Grandfather Clause" but forgot it until the other day, when I found this on line:
Nor does one have to worry about that FDA (Food and Drug Administration) fox being put in charge of this home remedy hen house. Colloidal silver is a pre-1938 healing modality, making it exempt from FDA jurisdiction under the grandfather clause. ref: 13
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2014 05:56 pm
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10846225_10152948970599255_6706523089487404310_n.jpg?oh=b2cfd0c7b0a9a549ef589ea154c7aab1&oe=5511BD11&__gda__=1426302788_a450a283919eb2f425a2fbae7d74278a
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2014 05:55 am
http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/kzQzRysfsAOTXz3g9NLzoA--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9ZmlsbDtoPTE5MTtweW9mZj0wO3E9NzU7dz02MDA-/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/ucomics.com/pb141217.gif
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2014 06:06 am
@edgarblythe,
Hi from the Star Bar in Gibraltar. It's the oldest here, and I waschere 30 years ago - having the same thing; fish and chips and Murphy's stout. This pilace changed alot and not too much. They've built more buildings, but the Main Street still has the same feel with all the shops.
Did the tour of the rock, and the monkey population had exploded. Instead of 22, they now have over 1000.

Bye for now.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2014 01:31 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Thanks for reporting, CI. We expect you to bring home one of those monkeys.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2014 07:37 pm
Earlier today, I heard gunshots behind the houses across the street. Could not pinpoint a location. There were two or three, then several in rapid succession. After a few seconds there were a few more. I don't know how many hours ago that was. Now, there are eight or more police vehicles on the next street.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2014 10:56 pm
Never did learn why the cop presence last night.

I had a delicious peanut butter cookie today. The significance lies in that I had never tasted one I liked at all, prior. The lady is a magician.

Sometime next week, the new lead man should start. I was exhausted, after a busy week, to start early this morning, taking the shampooer upstairs to clean a two bedroom floor. Then the constant running for other tasks and the contortions necessary to replace a garbage disposer. Easy stuff, you might say? I would have said that, a few years ago. Plus, I had saved up my personal projects for the cool weather. But, until I get some relief, it all languishes. No matter how I look at it, at least I get a short week for Christmas. Smile
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2014 09:30 pm
Odd, about a deer that got run over last week. In normal circumstances, the vultures would have made short work of a deer that size in about two days time. But this time they went at it for a few hours or less and abandoned the carcass. There must be something about that one that repelled them. Can't imagine what, since they dine with great aplomb on skunks and the like.

I ordered a headlight assembly for the car a few days back. The average price I found was $145. On Ebay there was one, postage paid, for $115. I already received and installed it. Amazing how simple it was, on a 2005 Kia Optima. I drew out two screws from the tabs and pulled it out. Changed two wire plug ins and screwed the new one in place. I are a mechanic.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2014 02:24 am
@edgarblythe,
You is!
0 Replies