edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 09:37 am
In 1967 my wife became the proud owner of a Kenmore sewing machine. After fifty years we sold it yesterday for more than it was bought for. Still operating smoothly, although the cabinet was in need of refinishing. The woman who took possession of it knew what to look for and obviously would not need an instruction manual. So, we all were happy. I told her I would set the money aside and that she could bring the machine back, if she was not satisfied. She waved it off and they rolled out of the driveway, happy as larks are said to be.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 06:40 pm
My last three vehicles have been Ford Rangers. I love these little buggers. But they have been phased out by Ford. My world has been forever altered by these crass managers. Take away my Gremlin and my Edsel, but let me have a Ranger.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 06:47 pm
@edgarblythe,
Okay, edgar, here's your Edsel.
http://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag215/Tak_Nomura/edsel0001_zps137945c0.jpg
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 06:49 pm
In 1964 I rode in an Edsel to Texas from Long Beach, CA, and back. It was a wonderfully smooth and comfortable ride.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2014 06:41 pm
I haven't seen people get so disturbed over a death (Robin Williams) in a long time. He was deep in our consciousness, more so than we probably knew. I am sad for him that he was so unhappy as to take his own life.

I submitted my story about a week ago. No news is no news.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2014 06:46 pm
@edgarblythe,
Well stated, edgar.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2014 06:50 pm
@edgarblythe,
I have gotten text msgs and calls from people I'm not reg in touch with. I'm 63..so was he. I followed him/his career, seen all of his specials/movies. Not even so much as a fan of his as he was someone who generally says something important about our generation and society. This'll make me sad for a long time. It also sad because it seemed that he was a poster child for the success of rehab.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 03:09 pm
I don't understand why a state, California, for instance, cannot declare a public emergency and chase the companies that bottle water out of the drought areas. I bet it would have happened in the 50s and 60s. Not sure when public good was trumped by corporate greed.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 04:42 pm
@edgarblythe,
California has many problems concerning the use of water. In many cities like Sacramento, most homes don't even have water meters. Farms waste water by the tens of thousands of gallons by the way they water, and they use over 80% of the water resources. Look at all the golf courses in California; they all require plenty of water to keep them green.

The small strip of grass in my front yard is now brown. Our brown lawns aren't going to be enough, and the water boards are not doing their jobs properly.

Gov Brown is talking about issuing a $7 billion bond to maintain and develop more water resources, but until they correct the waste, developing more resources isn't going to help during these long drought periods.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 04:51 pm
Thanks, CI. Its always good good to get some perspective from the ones actually experiencing a problem.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2014 05:18 am
I kept seeing a pit bull dog by my fence, wondering why the owner did not control this animal. He was calm, solemn looking and not acting aggressively. After a couple of days, I noticed the dog had lost some weight. I determined it was time to call animal control. I would wait, until it came again, at a time I would be home a while. In my neighborhood, dogs routinely wander loose. I don't call animal control, because it would exhaust my credibility with them. When I arrived home, yesterday, animal control was parked near my house and loading up the dog in question. I am no fan of the breed, but I do have compassion for any animal that suffers.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2014 05:26 pm
We have all these cases of black people getting shot for trivial reasons and now, here in Houston, a group of white people, who believe in openly carrying their guns everywhere they go, have planned a rally in the heart of a black neighborhood. Likely the police will outnumber the two sides that are bound to gather. I have no more to add.

Little Songs

When the world runs out of wrongs
I’ll be writing no more songs
But for now
I say wow
Business is very good

I’ll keep writing little songs
‘Til there’s peace in battle zones
‘Til congress notes
The change with votes
Until then I must conclude

When a child’s peaceful at night
When love’s a symbol not might
No hunger
No danger
Until then I’ll just be rude

Loud enough to rattle bones
To spit it out
In one big shout
Until then I must conclude

When folks die of poverty
The wrong ideology
Jealousy
Notoriety
Until then I’ll just be crude

Its my way to battle wrongs
To spit it out
In one big shout
Spit it out
One big shout
Spit it out
One big shout
Spit it out
glitterbag

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2014 03:24 pm
@edgarblythe,
Wow, I really hope the open carry people back off that plan. I'm not anti-gun but I would be very upset if a bunch of strangers were walking thru my neighborhood with guns on display. What do they hope to achieve? That's so incredibly stupid and irresponsible.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2014 03:28 pm
@glitterbag,
I have owned guns. There are times they are necessary. Being a fanatical nut it is what I am against.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2014 03:28 pm
@edgarblythe,
And there seems to be several on a2k.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2014 03:42 pm
@edgarblythe,
What's the purpose of the rally? Why a black neighborhood? That is very disturbing and I don't have clue what their issue is. It's not hard to buy a gun in Texas, so what is going on?
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2014 03:47 pm
@glitterbag,
They told local media they want to educate the people there to be the same way about guns they are. Of course, the locals are going to be in a belligerent mood.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2014 03:53 pm
@edgarblythe,
I googled it Edgar, it's nuts. What a terrible idea.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2014 03:55 pm
Terrible ideas never dissuade the true nuts.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2014 03:57 pm
@glitterbag,
Holy crap Edgar, I thought gun licenses were issued at birth in Texas. I read some of the comments after the article, it seems some people have confused the idea of the right to bear arms, with an obligation to own guns.