edgarblythe

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2014 05:24 pm
I rescued a lemon tree out of a flower pot today. I thought at first it was on the verge of dying, because it lacked water. Now I think it was so, because it was water-logged. I planted it in a real good spot, I did. I expect bushels of lemons next week.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2014 09:49 pm
In the good old days I did sheetrock patches by taping and floating and sanding, then rolling on some texture. It could turn out nice, but it was slow and messy. I learned from a former worker at the apartments to use a wet cloth instead of sandpaper. This eliminates much labor and mess and the patches can be perfect. We bought a little contraption that works much like the old fashioned fly sprayer and it makes texturing a snap. Never too old to learn.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2014 09:52 pm
@edgarblythe,
Great idea! Wish I'd known that when I did a whole lotsa patching on our walls. Too late, but thanks for sharing. Learning new stuff is always a delight.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2014 07:33 pm
My job expects us to complete Grace Hill courses each month. We do them in the convenience of home, on our computers. I'm a little upset to discover we have four scheduled for September. That's four two hour courses. That's the same number of hours they let me work, most weeks. I gonna whine to the boss tomorrow. Not that it will help.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2014 07:52 pm
@edgarblythe,
That would bother me too. I can see it useful for some. 4 times in a month? When I changed fields, I kept up my state license in lab technology. There were necessary continuing education classes, always about nothing I would work in even if I ever did want to go back. I either knew the material anyway, or wasn't the least bit interested. It was long drive to get to an auditorium to try to keep awake in and naturally a long drive back. But, those classes didn't happen often - I think it was one long day a year, maybe two. (I've repressed it) I finally just dropped the license, happy with the new field.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2014 08:09 pm
@ossobuco,
The real kicker is, we take the same courses every year. But not that bunched together.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2014 08:34 pm
@edgarblythe,
Reading this post put this song in my head and it won't go away so I'm going to give it away. Enjoy!

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2014 08:48 pm
@Butrflynet,
Great song.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2014 10:26 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

My job expects us to complete Grace Hill courses each month. We do them in the convenience of home, on our computers. I'm a little upset to discover we have four scheduled for September. That's four two hour courses. That's the same number of hours they let me work, most weeks. I gonna whine to the boss tomorrow. Not that it will help.

I know this doesn't work everywhere, but if courses are required by management for the workforce, you are entitled to be paid the same wage you normally receive while you are in class. New training by the managers for you to do during non-work hours 'POOF' it becomes salary earned by employees forces to participate. I was paid my full salary during my 9 month stint to learn
and be immersed in intensive language training.

Take a hard look a fair labor law in your area, it's pretty clear, but I know lots of employers who game the system, will try to squeeze every last free hour of work they can guilt their workers into performing.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2014 04:56 am
I know I could insist on getting paid for it. I also know they are gradually squeezing me out, due to my age. If I rock the boat too hard it's sure to speed up the process.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2014 03:52 pm
Just returned from the vet. Rocky was exceptionally well behaved and is in good shape.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2014 04:29 pm
@edgarblythe,
Excellent, Rocky!!

This all kills me, natch. Sorrow takes a long time.

One of the things in my memories is playing Coda di Lupo for Katy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VKEyjVKHW4
That's not my usual link but works.

She didn't just hate it. (music happening!)
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2014 04:36 pm
@ossobuco,
I still mourn several dogs. But Rocky keeps me too busy to to dwell on it overmuch.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2014 07:25 pm
@edgarblythe,
I, on the other hand was unlikely to have a dog for many reasons, when Katy showed up, via roger and his sister- I was admitted to the realm.

We know I still mourn her but so does Roger.

On mourning several dogs, I still do.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2014 04:15 pm
Rocky's very worst habit - If he can slip out the gate, he is gone. So far he has gotten out three times. The last time was this morning. I had visitors on the porch and didn't secure his doggy door properly to keep him in the house. The visitors had left the gate wide open. He was gone in an instant. I hurriedly concluded my business with these people and grabbed a particularly delicious snack and went off to find him. He was not far off. I found him on a neighbor's porch. I knelt down and offered the snack, which he wanted. He was not quick enough to evade my hand making a grab for his collar. Because he is strong and heavy, I had a choke chain in my pocket. He struggled against being led and I put the choker around his neck. He tried to break away several times and, but for the tightening of the cord, would have escaped. I had to be brutal to get him back in the yard. A ninety eight pound uncooperative dog is no joke. Once I closed the gate behind us, I immediately released him and began making up with him. A little later, I bought him a new chew toy. He has been lying near me, sleeping, most of the day.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2014 04:18 pm
@edgarblythe,
Rocky is smart enough to know you're the good guy, and he's more forgiving than you think.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2014 04:25 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I want to stay that dog's pal. But he better recognize my alpha-ness. I can't have a dog that roams the neighborhood.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2014 05:42 pm
@edgarblythe,
An alpha owner and alpha dog makes for interesting relationships. Mr. Green
Better watch out, edgar, that dog has more energy than you do!
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2014 06:44 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Hence, the choke rope.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2014 09:22 pm
Texans preseason game over. It's gonna be a long season. I need my paper bag from last year.
0 Replies