edgarblythe

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2014 01:11 pm
Spoke too soon. A limb came down on my truck. It didn't damage the important parts, so I'm not complaining. The trees still look evil. I backed it out near the street, just in case.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2014 01:12 pm
bump
glitterbag

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2014 06:57 pm
@edgarblythe,
I think my dogs are nuts,
But they make me laugh
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2014 07:45 pm
@glitterbag,
Rocky is a nut case, but he is also possibly smarter than I.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2014 08:48 pm
@edgarblythe,
Well, there's no contest, Ruby and Sophie are much smarter than I am.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2014 09:08 pm
I have always put a screw in the doggy door, to make him stay out until we come home. Well, the other day I shut the door on it, but did not tighten the screw. He somehow knew the door was not locked. He stayed outside, but nudged it wide open, just to show me he was not fooled.
JTT

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2014 09:11 pm
@glitterbag,
That's apparent.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2014 05:23 am
The weather has moderated. Cool, but manageable. I pity the folks still getting pounded by real storms.

I was looking at different books I have on the desk with me, to see how many pages. Girl with Dragon Tattoo - about 600. Generation of Vipers - about 300. Got as far as The Vintage Bradbury - 329. The pages flipped, where the binding is loose, and my eyes fell on the story "Kaleidoscope." Ended up reading that, instead of finishing the task at hand. Bradbury is a captivating writer, mostly. One of my very first short stories was about a man on the moon, who died, due to a space suit malfunction. It was a poor effort, admittedly, but "Kaleidoscope" reminds me of it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2014 09:29 am
@edgarblythe,
Sign him up for engineering classes.. quick! (what a smartie)
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2014 12:09 pm
I have thought this same thing, many times, over the last few decades.

Robert Reich
How many of you recall a time in America when the income of a single school teacher or baker or salesman was enough to buy a home, have two cars, and raise a family? That used to be the norm. For three decades after World War II, we created the largest middle class the world had ever seen. During those years the wages of the typical American worker doubled, just as the size of the American economy doubled. More than a third of all workers belonged to a trade union -- giving average workers the bargaining power necessary to get a large and growing share of the large and growing economic pie (now, fewer than 7 percent of private-sector workers are unionized). CEO pay then averaged about 40 times the pay of the typical worker (now it's over 300 times).

In those years the richest 1 percent took home 9 to 10 percent of total income (today the top 1 percent gets more than 20 percent). The tax rate on highest-income Americans never fell below 70 percent; under Dwight Eisenhower, a Republican, it was 91 percent (today the top tax rate is 39.6 percent). Some of this money was used to build the largest infrastructure project in our history, the Interstate Highway system; some to build the world's largest and best system of free public education, and dramatically expand public higher education. We enacted the Civil Rights Act and Voting Rights Act to extend prosperity and participation to African-Americans; Medicare and Medicaid to reduce poverty among America's seniors; and the Environmental Protection Act to help save our planet. And we made sure banking was boring.

Then came the great U-turn, and for the last thirty years we've been heading in the opposite direction. The collective erasure of the memory of that prior system of broad-based prosperity is the greatest propaganda victory conservatives and the privileged have ever achieved. But the fact we did it then means we can do so again -- not exactly the same way, of course, but in a new way fit for the twenty-first century and future generations of Americans. It is worth the fight.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2014 01:04 pm
@ossobuco,
Rocky gave me a scare, just now. He followed me in here, where I have my computer. When he sees me sit down he simply goes outside. This time, he whined. I thought, with disappointment, and I followed him to be sure nothing else was going on. I saw his cheek poked out and felt of it. It seemed his teeth were sideways in his mouth. I took him out on the porch, where the light is good and got him to open up. Iwas worried for his welfare the whole time and wondering what might happen to him, since I don't have money to pay a vet for emergency surgery. Turns out, he had the hard snack I had given him, nearly half an hour before, firmly clenched in his teeth.
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2014 03:52 pm
Quote:
Edgar said: It seemed his teeth were sideways in his mouth..he had the hard snack I had given him firmly clenched in his teeth

Happens to me sometimes with Crunchie bars
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2014 09:01 pm
@edgarblythe,
Such a dawg...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2014 05:25 am
I have told before, how my first wife could "see" things as they happened, particularly with her mother, though they be a thousand miles apart, at the time. The incident I most clearly recall, she was with me, in Rhode Island; her mother in Houston. One day, she said, "I just saw my mother, stranded in the rain in her car." Sure enough, the mother had been driving to Galveston in the rain, when her car ceased running. Another time, in Corpus Christi, she told me, "I just had a vision of you driving at Five Corners, then in a horrible wreck." I immediately canceled an impending plan to drive to the pawn shop at that location. The thing about it is, she could not produce these visions at will. They just came on her, at times. If she had been placed in a controlled experiment, they would have concluded her powers to be zero. Just as I felt the emotional tug, when certain people died, even though I was not in the same city, in any of the cases, or a dog will sometimes howl when their absent owner dies, there is a connection between people, including some animals, that is in mundane circumstances undetectable. In my view.
tontoiam

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2014 06:42 am
@edgarblythe,
If you are being sincere, I appreciate how you are openly sharing.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2014 01:27 pm
Quote:
Edgar said: my first wife could "see" things as they happened, particularly with her mother, though they be a thousand miles apart, at the time

Wow, atheist Edgar is admitting there are some spooky supernatural things that science can't explain. Keep it up mate and you'll make Pope in no time..Smile
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2014 05:23 am
A definite stench in the air.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2014 05:24 am
Hi ho. I get a day of work, unexpectedly. Half a day. Perhaps that will lift the lethargy I feel this week.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2014 12:58 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

A definite stench in the air.

You're right, I panicked, I thought it was one of the dogs. Back to premonitions or other unexplainable events. Of the several women I got to know at a salon where we had standing appointments, one of the women asked Joan next to her if she had pain in her right leg, Joan said no, everything was fine, but Jenny seemed troubled, just said she sensed a problem. Later that evening, Joan's right leg started to ache, the pain became so difficult her husband took her to the ER. The hospital found a blood clot in her leg, fortunately she was treated before it became fatal. People who tell me about blood clots in the legs or arms tell me it's very painful. Jenny never did readings, she didn't claim to be a psychic but she could throw us for a loop every so often.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2014 02:09 pm
@glitterbag,
As I said, I think science writes it off, because it cannot be produced on demand. When brother Sam died in Dallas, I was working in Tomball. I felt a sudden urge to go in the office and sit down. "Why?" the manager asked. "I don't know. I just do." At that moment, my phone rang. It was his wife to tell me he was gone. This would mean nothing to many people, and that's fine. I just see enough to believe in connectivity between living creatures.
0 Replies