edgarblythe

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2013 09:38 am
It's Woody Guthrie's 101ST birthday. Here is one of his new years resolution lists:
“Dream Good”: Woody Guthrie’s New Year’s Resolution List, 1942 :

1. Work more and better
2. Work by a schedule
3. Wash teeth if any
4. Shave
5. Take bath
6. Eat good — fruit — vegetables — milk
7. Drink very scant if any
8. Write a song a day
9. Wear clean clothes — look good
10. Shine shoes
11. Change socks
12. Change bed cloths often
13. Read lots good books
14. Listen to radio a lot
15. Learn people better
16. Keep rancho clean
17. Dont get lonesome
18. Stay glad
19. Keep hoping machine running
20. Dream good
21. Bank all extra money
22. Save dough
23. Have company but dont waste time
24. Send Mary and kids money
25. Play and sing good
26. Dance better
27. Help win war — beat fascism
28. Love mama
29. Love papa
30. Love Pete
31. Love everybody
32. Make up your mind
33. Wake up and fight

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/58104_10151519940629205_1052532471_n.jpg

Bob Dylan:
"I am not going to work for peace anymore. There isn't going to be peace."

We saw all the wars of race
Wars of countries, even faith
He declared these wars all must cease
Folks must be troops for Walks of Peace

Yes the wars eventually
Must fall before Walks of Peace
Walks of Peace, Walks of Peace
Must fall before Walks of Peace

As Martin said, Don’t be deceived
All of these wars are wars of greed
Its up to us these wars must cease
Folks must be troops for Walks of Peace - edgarblythe
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2013 09:39 am
bump bump bump
spendius

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2013 01:44 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Bob Dylan:
"I am not going to work for peace anymore. There isn't going to be peace."

Doesn't mince his words does he? There's no pretending everything in the garden's rosy for Bobcats.

"Peace is when the guns are being re-loaded"

Bob Dylan. Although I might not have the exact words.

Also--

"Peace will come
With tranquillity and splendor on the wheels of fire
But will bring us no reward when her false idols fall
And cruel death surrenders with it's pale ghost retreating
Between the King and the Queen of Swords."
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2013 02:00 pm
I like his last line from Masters of War.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2013 09:36 pm
We left our car and as I walked with my wife to the Walmart entrance, I took note of landmarks, because I have trouble finding my way back sometimes. We took a few items but mainly browsed a lot. We purchased a throw rug and some paper towels. Outside, we went in the right direction, but I could not pick out the car. Then my wife called out to a woman, "That's our car." The woman's key had unlocked our trunk and she realized her error in the same moment mrs edgarblythe spoke up. Turned out she was parked on the next lane. The women tried their keys on each other's door, for curiosity's sake, but could not open them. Glad of that.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 16 Jul, 2013 05:17 am
The ION TV channel showed The Outlaw Josie Wales last night. Again. Must make the hundredth time. I always tune in for a bit to see Dan George. I love that kind of character.

I find it ironic that we convict or don't convict in courts of law based on a jury system in which each side vies for the more sympathetic jury. What's fair about that. Weed out obvious wackos first. Pick a team at random and let the chips fall, I say.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 17 Jul, 2013 05:02 am
I catch lots of flack for being a Texan, but when I look around I see other states being just as dumb. No need to elaborate. It's in the news every day. I figure we might as well sit tight and try to improve things where we are. If not us, then who?

My moringa trees do good by spurts, but they don't really like my back yard. I may get more seeds and start them in the front. The front is much drier, in wet weather, and gets the hottest sun. The only drawback, cold weather affects the front yard the most.

I play Angry Birds Friends only because a few friends do it also. I am bored because it recycles the same games endlessly. I much prefer Angry Birds Star Wars, where you still have to figure out each game that comes along.
Ragman

Reply Wed 17 Jul, 2013 05:05 am
@edgarblythe,
Re Angry Birds. I'm switching back to Star Wars. You still got me beat in this game. Learned a lot, though
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 17 Jul, 2013 05:18 am
@Ragman,
In Star Wars it may be a bit harder to compete, because one is too busy figuring out the way to even complete a level. But I find it fun and much of the time challenging.
Ragman

Reply Wed 17 Jul, 2013 08:06 am
@edgarblythe,
Yeah! I played it in the past and got the hang and skills needed for a lot of those contests. I like the Star War games where you have to circle out of orbit in the gravity field of one planet in order to re-enter the adjacent planet's. They're a challenge and a trip.
Ragman

Reply Wed 17 Jul, 2013 08:14 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
I catch lots of flack for being a Texan, but when I look around I see other states being just as dumb.

Texans (and Floridians) are surely not dumb. Their state governments are dumb, regressive and not accountable, to say the least.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 17 Jul, 2013 01:38 pm
@Ragman,
You may or may not already know it, but the games can all be played the first day, if your scores are good enough for them to be opened.
spendius

Reply Wed 17 Jul, 2013 01:46 pm
@edgarblythe,
That's a bit catty ed.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 17 Jul, 2013 01:54 pm
@spendius,
If you haven't played, you don't get it. Each game is labeled for Monday, Tuesday, etc. I discovered by accident that you don't have to wait. But I was denied a couple of times for having too low scores.
Ragman

Reply Wed 17 Jul, 2013 02:17 pm
@edgarblythe,
I noticed that. Thanks for the warning.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 18 Jul, 2013 05:14 am
It has been a rather pleasant July, in the main. Hot, but not oppressive, but for a few times. As we near August I expect that to change. I am going to enjoy this while it lasts.

Of course, the lack of rain hurts. We were put on water restrictions yesterday. As I looked out over the dead weeds where there used to be a lawn I smiled wryly. At least the cactus plants look healthy.
Ragman

Reply Thu 18 Jul, 2013 08:59 am
@edgarblythe,
We're getting all your rain - daily and in copious supply (6+ in over our avg for the year). Yesterday I was driving in the a horrible downpour where I couldn't see one ft in front of me. We're getting almost daily storms like that in the last 3 weeks.

You want some? Pls take it....I'm begging.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 18 Jul, 2013 12:57 pm
If you can, please send me two or three light showers per week. No monsoons or you won't get paid.
Ragman

Reply Thu 18 Jul, 2013 01:00 pm
@edgarblythe,
I put it in the works for 'ya. After all, they don't call me Amazing Grace for no good reason (last name).
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 18 Jul, 2013 01:01 pm
Okay if I call you the Rain Man?