edgarblythe

Reply Sun 7 Jul, 2013 09:56 am
@spendius,
The rod incident carried the story briefly, helping to illustrate the trying and money-draining experiences of a family slipping into an ever deepening disaster.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 7 Jul, 2013 09:56 am
Bump.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 7 Jul, 2013 10:01 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
The rod incident carried the story briefly, helping to illustrate the trying and money-draining experiences of a family slipping into an ever deepening disaster.

How can anybody laugh at that? Only professionals read for any other reason than amusement.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 7 Jul, 2013 10:10 am
@spendius,
I don't suppose you have read The Grapes of Wrath, have you? It is a powerful and truthful tale that got it banned in some quarters. The Henry Fonda movie gave only most of the essentials. The story was shortened in the film to give an uplifting end for the tenderhearted among movie goers.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 7 Jul, 2013 10:46 am
My car's check engine light came on again, after about sixty miles driving.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 7 Jul, 2013 12:14 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Pardon me while I alienate at least half of my friends. If anybody had asked me yesterday, I would have repeated my decades old belief that the good guys have a right to own guns for self protection, hunting and the like. The stand your ground and other new laws were the tipping point. If mine were the deciding vote concerning gun rights, I would vote to revoke private ownership of guns. You want to shoot a deer, learn archery. Somebody has a knife or gun in your ribs - That's a rough way to go. Sorry if it puts a dent in your shin bone, but people are not able to handle the responsibility.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1017372_10151508255949205_382918347_n.jpg
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 7 Jul, 2013 12:38 pm
@edgarblythe,
So true! There are more deaths from gun accidents and violence than it provides safety for the majority. The evidence is in the numbers.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 7 Jul, 2013 12:42 pm
@edgarblythe,
Do you think that John Lennon's reference to violence practiced in broad daylight was addressing Americans propensity to shoot one another, Ed?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 7 Jul, 2013 12:55 pm
@JTT,
No. He was talking about people like you who show hate first - without any sense of decency or respect for others.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 7 Jul, 2013 01:03 pm
I speak as an American, but the propensity to violence is not confined to our shores.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 7 Jul, 2013 01:17 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
I don't suppose you have read The Grapes of Wrath, have you?

I have read it. A long time ago. I have a PB copy.

Check out the last verse of Black Diamond Bay.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 7 Jul, 2013 01:28 pm
I know that verse without checking. N/A
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 7 Jul, 2013 09:24 pm
I occasionally have dreams that seem real to me. I was kicking the hell out of somebody in one a year or two back. Ended up stomping at my wife for one kick. Fortunately I didn't hurt her. This weekend I dreamed I was being followed for my wallet. The stalker never had a face and in fact I didn't see, but only heard him. The farther I went, the faster I walked, he seemed always closing in. I awakened to my feet working violently. Apparently I did not awaken my wife this time. I'm so happy these things don't happen more often than that.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2013 05:28 am
Taking the car to be looked at today but will not leave it to get worked on today. It took two days instead of the usual one before the check engine light came back on. I am counting on the readings having changed this time, due to the new Toyota original cap we put on.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2013 05:19 am
I wanted to see Under the Dome but have so far seen not an episode. The series does not have people talking. I assume it is one of the low level hits that will nevertheless be re-aired in perpetuity on the oldies stations.

I have yet to decompress from carrying the load on my job, despite having a new lead and a temp. Giving pep talks is almost futile. The sense of urgency is not there. They are not completing the vacants quickly enough to meet the deadline, I think. But I am refusing to go beyond my half day schedule, as it is too stressful on me. Oh well.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 10 Jul, 2013 05:26 am
Wendy Davis is contemplating a run for the governorship. In a state like Texas the abortion issue will likely defeat her.

One of my aunts died last week. There is only one family member of her generation surviving. Next is my generation, which is being decimated as I write. Only one of the youngest generation is not with us. He died in a gun accident twenty years ago. Whet's that old Zen story? "The father dies, the son dies, the son's son dies." The recipient of this wisdom is offended. "You wish us all to die?" "Eventual death is a certainty. That it occurs in this order is a blessing." Paraphrased and rendered in English.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 11 Jul, 2013 05:11 am
Just heard a TV news story about a nude woman who knocked at a stranger's door and asked to swim in his back yard pool. He was delighted to accommodate. He smiled benevolently on as the woman swam and cavorted and distracted him long enough for another person to rob his house.

I hope the federal judges step up and block it after Perry's anti abortion bill gets made law.

The drought is getting worse. I had to water the fig tree the other day. First time in a couple of years it got that dry.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 12 Jul, 2013 04:55 am
I think next week I can get my life into a semblance of normal and perhaps resume work on my book, among other things. It has been a rough period for me. The start of August is going to have a frenetic pace also, but we will be a better team in the next go round.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 13 Jul, 2013 01:56 pm
Nice start to the weekend. Already called in for extra duty.

Just tried a new cookie: Green Tea with Cranberries. Just a butter cookie with tea extract and chopped cranberries. Not bad, but not great.

Today marks 21 years on my job. I mentioned this to the lady at the hardware store. "I've been here 58," she stated (the braggart). But I bet she can't grow a bushy mustache.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 13 Jul, 2013 02:27 pm
@edgarblythe,
I worked in my career for 30 years. That was plenty enough for me!
0 Replies