edgarblythe

Reply Thu 18 Jul, 2013 06:50 pm
Well I ordered some of my fools remedies from an alternate medicine supplier. It took a pretty good while for it to come from Guayaquil. Three days ago I got a notice in the mail box that I could pick it up at the post office on day the next. I drove there and after a ten minute wait somebody opened the little window and took my card. She searched for a long time without finding it. Let me have your phone number and I will call you when we locate it, I was told. I waited two days and went back. A different somebody spent ten minutes looking and then said he thinks he recalls that specific package. It should be with the mail carrier. Sign the card for me and when he gets back I will get him to run it over there. Is it all right to leave it on the porch. Of course it is, I replied. UPS does that all the time. I had that nagging doubt he was a man of his word, but I signed the card anyway. Sure enough he was a big liar. It is nearly eight PM and no package. Plus the Post Office can now claim I got my package, with the signed card as proof. That's pretty cynical, but the first one lied about calling me. It's hard to believe in these people.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 18 Jul, 2013 06:51 pm
bump
Ragman

Reply Thu 18 Jul, 2013 08:33 pm
@edgarblythe,
I sure feel like one. Definitely feel like. Definitely...etc.

Yet another day in the tropics. Sky is clear and moon is bright now.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 18 Jul, 2013 08:45 pm
There are few actors I admire as much as Dustin Hoffman. When he gets a really good role (The Graduate, Midnight Cowboy, Rain Man) he becomes that character to perfection.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 18 Jul, 2013 08:47 pm
@edgarblythe,
One of my favorite actors is Jimmy Stewart. I always thought he also played the part of the person that he portrayed.

I was also impressed with Daniel Day Lewis' portrayal of Lincoln.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 18 Jul, 2013 09:07 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I agree completely, CI.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Jul, 2013 09:26 pm
@edgarblythe,
So, many years ago a friend and I were at a Los Angeles irish bar of some fame on a quiet afternoon and we ordered some brew. The other people there (2) engaged us, and turned out to be interesting, the guy, after some long time, at least an hour into the talk, way into other stories, telling us he'd been Hoffman's roommate. Rusty was his name.

Now, this stuff isn't new to me, as a woman friend claimed to be B. Streisand's early roommate, and in that case I believe her, longer story, more believable person.

What I remember him saying about Hoffman was that he was a slob.

snort.. that might have been true too.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 18 Jul, 2013 09:27 pm
I don't mind if he's a slob. I am one too.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Jul, 2013 09:30 pm
@edgarblythe,
Me either. I also liked those two people.

I should have said that.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 18 Jul, 2013 10:10 pm
@edgarblythe,
Re Dustin Hoffman: recently during an revealing interview about his amazing role in Tootsie, the makeup artist had to really work to make him look like a reasonably attractive woman. He said that he discovered a deeper insight about how would it be different if he were a woman and felt it was no comedy for him.

He was quite candid over his discovery as a result of his role about the priority that he as an individual and that society places on women's cosmetic or surface appearances:

In a video clip Dustin Hoffman Breaks Down Over Tootsie Role, Video Goes Viral: "It Was Never a Comedy For Me"

http://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/news/dustin-hoffman-breaks-down-over-tootsie-role-video-goes-viral-it-was-never-a-comedy-for-me-2013117#ixzz2ZSeJvD5k

I also can recall the groundbreaking role he played in Kramer Vs. Kramer.
spendius

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 03:32 am
@Ragman,
How could an audience suspend their believability when his name is up in lights outside the theatre?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 04:55 am
The reason Henry Fonda is my all time favorite actor, his basic good character almost always showed through his roles. Plus he played some of my favorite characters, such as Tom Joad in Grapes of Wrath and a cowboy in The Oxbow Incident. His studio did not much want to film the Oxbow, but Henry insisted, because it was to him such an important story. The film did not make much money, but I have a copy in my own library. I respect the man even more than the actor.
Ragman

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 06:29 am
@edgarblythe,
Loved Henry Fonda in Fail-Safe as the President.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 09:09 pm
I got my mail today. My wife was there to pick up the mail. She asked for it and the mail carrier pulled it out of his trunk. Would I have gotten it otherwise? I won't make a guess.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 20 Jul, 2013 08:44 am
I finally opened my manuscript and began working on revisions to get back in the swing of things. It has been at least a month since I added anything new. I was so over stressed by my job I could not bring myself to look it over even. I am still feeling exhausted, but the effect is lessening. I have to persevere, to find out how it all ends.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2013 09:54 am
Fuggin Ted Cruz is already making a bid for the White House. He's either smarter than I thought or much dumber.

I came across a thread that had anon voter in it yesterday. I often wonder how life has gone for him. He was perhaps overly emotional, but a really good guy.

Been thinking about endymion too. Wishing him well.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 05:04 am
We had the rain the past few days. Now the furnace. For at least eight weeks we have to expect extreme heat, with possible relief in the form of tropical storms.

The first mechanic I approached to price replacing my catalytic converter wanted $1100. Thanks to my wife for spotting a different mechanic and to rock for helping me find the right part, it should be considerably cheaper.
Ragman

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 05:14 am
@edgarblythe,
Sorry to read about your car repair.

FWIW, I'll offer my experience with catalytic converter repair costs:
2 yrs ago I had to replace my catalytic converter on my 1998 Honda CR-V. I was told it'd cost about $800 from car dealer. Then I shopped some more and found an estimate of $500 from a reputable independent mechanic.

So I asked my neighbor (who is a mechanic without a garage). He said that he'd do it for $100 in labor cost. I paid $160 for the converter parts. Due to rust I also had to replace the long exhaust pipe too. So in total the cost to me was around $300.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 05:19 am
@Ragman,
I don't have the exact figure we came up with right before me, but it is down to a reasonable price now.
Ragman

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 05:22 am
@edgarblythe,
Glad to see that. Cars suck, don't they?.