cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 12:45 pm
@edgarblythe,
Okay, I've updated the thread on the meet in Houston here, http://able2know.org/topic/196917-1#post-5101932

For those interested in meeting in Austin, please let us know which date is good for you (other than December 8 when we'll be meeting in Houston).

Reyn

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 05:39 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
I am wondering if this is the final season of The Mentalist. There are parallel stories in every episode now, of Jane being more interested in following his own investigation and distancing himself from the cases at hand. That usually happens late in the season, but is already underway. Now we have a recurring story of a powerful man who is a murderer, and an official protecting him and who knows Jane very well, despite being a stranger to him. Don't know for sure if this will tie into the Red John theme or not.

Between you and me, if the shows carry on with the Red John theme in the background all the time, I will definitely tune out.

As it is, he is doing some daft rescue thing with the RJ lady assistant thing next episode. I already know that I will not watch this one. I'm just pig sick of this after 4 years. It's ridiculous how long they're carried this forward.

My wife and I are moving forward to experimentally try over-the-air TV.

Today, I checked out the selection and prices of a digital converter box and antenna. Looks like I can get something decent for $150, which would pay for itself in 4 months.

That's IF we get a decent selection of channels.

Either way, we're trying it out, and if we're not happy, we can return the items.

One way or another, we're probably getting rid of our over-priced cable TV service soon.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 07:44 pm
I haven't had cable TV since about 1992. When I go to someone's house, I surf the cable TV endlessly and find very little of interest. Usually, when something looks interesting, it's pay per view. Certainly nothing worth all the big dough they charge.

As for the Mentalist, all I can say, is, if you don't like it, find something else to do. Razz
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2012 07:39 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Thanks, CI.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2012 12:36 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I haven't had cable TV since about 1992. When I go to someone's house, I surf the cable TV endlessly and find very little of interest.

The frusteration with cable TV, especially here in Canada, is how they bundle things together, and it's a take-it-or-leave-it attitude.

Ideally, I would love to have the freedom to pick individual channels and make my own bundle. Never happen, of course.

I seem to remember that you have an aerial for over-the-air TV? Is that right? That's why you only get a few channels?

If I get anything here, I suspect it will be the same.

Fortunately, there's always the local library where we can borrow free DVD's.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2012 09:53 am
@Reyn,
My air antenna gets NBC, NBC 2 (My TV), CBS, CBS 2 (Bounce), ABC, Fox, ME TV, Ion, CW, PBS, Antenna TV and a large number of totally irrelevant (to me) channels, many of which are Vietnamese and Spanish language.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2012 10:28 am
I am about to go in the back and work on the house and property. Not particularly ambitious, so -

It is too soon to be alarmed, but my two most used alternative health sites disappeared from the net simultaneously. They are not affiliated, which makes this all the more troubling. One has to become ever more resourceful to get around the Government/Big Business policy of repression. Considering an alternative regimen such as I use costs several hundred dollars per year, versus having to use conventional methods which likely would use a combined copay and Medicare pay in the many thousands, it is not hard to figure their "reasoning." If I have to make my own products, I have the recipes, but H30 would be lost to me if I cannot get in touch with Alpha Omega again. As I mentioned - to early to panic.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2012 06:14 pm
Coincidentally, the two sites I wrote about this morning restructured their sites. Nothing nefarious to it at all, from the initial reports. That's reassuring.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 06:01 am
It's too damn early. Ah, what ya gonna do?

The other maintenance guys put up the Christmas lights last Friday. For that I am truly grateful. Pain in the keester job. I will spend much of the week same as last week, painting. We are so hard put for storage space, I took a fifty inch mirror behind the shed, which is a fenced in area, and mounted it on the fence, encased in wood. - A current resident wanted the mirror out of the bathroom. Management obliged. Rolling Eyes

It was a testy football day for me. Steelers lost, Texans looked bad winning, Cowboys won -

I would so love to see less killing in the world. There is a dedicated love of warfare among powerful factions that grows in strength, these days.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2012 06:05 am
So, the boss informed me that I will be having a four day weekend. And the weather will be perfect. Do it gets gooder than that?

The last time people became so upset over the altering of a crap food, to my memory, was when Coca Cola changed its formula, PUBLICLY. They actually have done it in secret any number of times. I think I first noticed it being toned down in the '60s. But American society came near to revolution when New Coke was announced. They had to take it back. Curtis used to make Butterfinger and Baby Ruth Candy bars. I think Nestles does, now. Lesson learned? It's okay to alter a popular product; just don't make the public confront the knowledge. Unannounced change allows people to kid themselves and accept it.

JPB

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2012 06:07 am
@edgarblythe,
Enjoy your weekend!
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2012 06:13 am
@JPB,
Thanks. I fully intend to. You, too.
Ragman

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2012 06:45 am
@edgarblythe,
Happy I Thinks-giving Day to you, pal!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2012 01:47 pm
Happy Thanksgiving.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2012 05:59 am
I am conflicted by the way we administer criminal law. This week, a stupid and negligent act that killed four children was punished with 80 years prison time. In the past week, a stupid and negligent act killed four veterans during a parade. In this case there have been no reports of charges to be filed. In the former case, the woman was painted to be a monster. In the latter case, we keep reading how traumatized was the man driving the float. In both cases there was no intent to do harm.
The convicted woman was incredibly stupid and self indulgent. She left those children alone, forgetting she had a pot of oil on the stove, while she went to Target to shop. The oil caught fire and the children were killed.
The float driver had to drive around the arms blocking the road to get onto the tracks, right in front of the train. Also stupid and self indulgent.
As I say, I am conflicted. I don't know how to handle the information.
spendius

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2012 07:39 am
@edgarblythe,
Neither do I ed.
spendius

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2012 08:34 am
@spendius,
It might be something to do with the fact that those who bring us our water and food and our heat and light and take away our waste get paid small fractions of what those who bring us our justice do.
farmerman

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2012 09:19 am
@edgarblythe,
"Guarantee" of a defense does not imply "competent" defense. There are gazillions of defense attornies who live only on the courts dole an are people who shouldnt even be painting barns.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2012 10:40 am
@spendius,
Is my down-thumber objecting to the fact that "those who bring us our water and food and our heat and light and take away our waste get paid small fractions of what those who bring us our justice do"?

Or is it an objection to being reminded of the fact from someone who prefers such obvious facts to be discreetly veiled?

Either way, the down thumb is despicable and the more so for being anonymous. A sneaky bushwhacking from the shadows.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2012 07:20 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
This week, a stupid and negligent act that killed four children was punished with 80 years prison time.

The sign of a compassionate country.
0 Replies